headphone jack and programming software question

  • Eddie Ragasa
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11, 2014
      Good Evening,
      Just got my BCD 396XT last Monday and having lots of fun playing around with it. At first I had some difficulty in programming it but once I got the hang of it, it was very easy. I've had many analog scanners but find that more and more of the stuff I want to listen to have either gone conventional with a digital NAC option, have moved to Motorola's P25 Phase I system or digital trunking on the 400 MHz band. I'm even seeing lots of the new 700 MHz frequencies already being used on several systems here in Northern California. With that in mind I have a couple of questions in regards to this scanner.

      1. Why is it that when you plug headphones into the headphone jack it sounds very, very low even with the volume turned up? Even the internal speaker sounds better than the headphone jack.

      2. Also, even though I know how to program this radio without looking at the manual, it is very time consuming especially if you have lots of systems. Is there software for this scanner to help aid you in programming the radio?

      Thanks a lot and I look forward to contributing and reading on this forum.

      Eddie Ragasa

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12, 2014
        Is your headphone plug stereo or mono? It should be stereo.

        Joe M.

        On Jul 12, 2014, at 12:52 AM, "Eddie Ragasa medic2442@... [BCD396XT]" <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        1. Why is it that when you plug headphones into the headphone jack it sounds very, very low even with the volume turned up? Even the internal speaker sounds better than the headphone jack.
      • John Stark

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 12, 2014
            As already posted, check to see if you are using a mono or stereo plug, just to assure the correct jack is used.I believe the manual informs users that the headphone jack is deliberately "dummied down", reducing the volume as a safety precaution so as to not cause injury to your ears when plugging in a headset when the volume is all the way up.
          • N1CHU
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 12, 2014
              Programming software is available for the 396XT. Just try doing a search for it. Some of the programming software has the ability to link with Radioreference.com. You can search by state and county, pick and choose what systems you'd like to program into your scanner, and download it directly into the scanner. But I believe you must be a premium member on Radioreference. In order to program the scanner this way. Otherwise, you need to manually enter the stuff you see on their site. Radioreference doesn't charge much to get this ability which I believe is well worth it. Uniden's newer scanners (BCD436HP & BCD536HP) have an SD card which allows you to download Radioreference's entire database, covering the US and Canada, storing it all on the SD card. This database is updated on a weekly basis and can be downloaded as many times as you like into the card. Once the card has the database, you can search it using the scanner and program your radio without the computer connection to your programming software. This ability eliminates the confusing issues newbies can experience when trying to program the different types of systems (conventional and different types of trunked systems) because it sets up all of the correct parameters (settings) for each individual system for you and programs the scanner correctly.

              Hope this helps,
              Bill
            • imquazar
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 12, 2014

                1) Headphone jack may produce lower volume to protect your ears. I've had one of these great scanners but i dont remember if the hearing protection is an option that can be modified or not.. also make sure the plug is a stereo plug (like a standard pair of music headphones) or half of your audio will be diminished right off the bat.

                2) Lookup a program called Freescan on the web (www.freescan.org i believe) and you'll really enjoy this software for programming and controlling this fine scanner.

                Good luck!
                Lee

              • Doug Augelli