2 sick scanners

  • brey1234
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11, 2014
      Have enjoyed the BCD 396 until recently---the display "dims' to a point where u can barely see it---turning the unit off and back on--seems to fix it for awhile then the problem reappears.  ;-(

      Also have had  it since September of last year. Wonder if it's still under warranty.

      Then there is another Uniden which is sick too---it's a thousand  channel----bc 785---Most channels are programmed, via software, to have a 2 to 4 second delay---BUT when a transmission is heard it always starts scanning before the transmission is complete---Any ideas?

      If I ship the scanners back should it be to Uniden or someone who specializes in scanner repairs?

      73'

      Bob
      WB3DYE
    • Bob

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 12, 2014
            UNIDEN repair service can take around 6 weeks for turnaround. But they do a good job of fixing the problems for a set fee. I don't know what that is now but when I sent in a scanner it cost $60. Be sure to read their warranty policy on repairs and follow the instructions regarding what proof you need to send them regarding purchase date. A copy of your receipt, for example. Copy down the serial number of your radio to see if they repaired your radio or swapped it out for a refurbished unit when it is returned to you. If you want the same radio back, include that in your note that explains the problem you are having.
          • red2965 .
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 12, 2014
              I really thought I'd never see that... if you want the same radio back. RS did me that way I had bought a new p96 and almost two years in (under Ext warranty) and they sent me a crappy looking radio back, like what the hell, why can't the consumer/end user expect to receive his property back, and what really pissed me off is they tried to play it off as the same radio. The thing is the ser# didn't match the warranty papers.
              I guess that is their way of getting out of a free repair.

              --
              Mark ~
            • John Stark

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 12, 2014

                  Agreed John, I've purchased several Uniden refurbs and I could not tell them from brand spankng new.

                  ML
                  Unidens refurbs are "like new" and are not blemished and obviously used.