Serial port problem

  • Michael Weidemeier
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 21, 2014
      Hi,
      I am unable to download or upload frequencies from radio reference using ARC-XT PRO.
      I  get serial port is not available or used by other software. Please advise how to fix.  Never had this problem before.

        Thanks,
       Mike

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 21, 2014

          He didn't say anything about RR.

          I can't remember the fix but if you search through old threads you should be able to find something.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 22, 2014
            Read it again... "from radio reference". It's all still quoted.

            Joe M.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 22, 2014

              Ahh you are correct. But why would someone try to upload or download from radio reference. I think he downloaded from RR and is having trouble uploading or downloading to scanner.

              Mike please clarify so you can get the help you need.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 22, 2014
                Upload and download are ambiguous terms that rely of perspective. Maybe he wanted to use both to cover both bases. For example, when you program a scanner, you are uploading to the scanner and downloading from the PC at the same time from the PC point of view. From the scanner, you are downloading to the scanner and uploading from the PC.

                The key for me was the (non-ambiguous) term 'from' RR. Besides, you can't send data to RR via a data file. So, I took it as getting info from RR which does not use a serial port.

                That's why I absolutely HATE SW that has buttons tagged upload and download with no reference of perspective. Does it mean upload to the radio or upload to the PC?  Read and Write are much more clear terms, and the direction should be specified in the tag, such as "Write to scanner".

                Joe M.