Re: Uniden Announces BCD396XT and BC346XT Handheld Scanners

  • torontokris
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
      Close call Do Not Disturb...
      EDACS ESK..

      thats about it
      (No NAC, or temp lockout) too bad those will be nice features on the
      396XT.

      Firmware should be out tomorrow or Wednesday.

      Any other questions in regards to the BCD396T try the 396T group at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396T/

      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "donc113" <Don.Curtis@...> wrote:

      > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "uniden.upman" <uniden.upman@>
      > wrote:
      >
      > <hugely unnecessary copy of the complete original message snipped by
      the moderator>

      > Will any of the new features be available as a firmware upgrade to
      > the 396T? Obviously, some of them (such as expanded memory,
      > Exchange IF, etc.) cant' be...but some of them such as temporary
      > lockout, maybe NAC and so forth...any possibility of them on the 396T?
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Don

    • Mike Iszak
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
        Well I have to give Uniden credit. They've created a lot of hype over this product upgrade however I can't help but feel it is a lot of sizzle but no flame.

        The increased channel capacity (specificaly, increased talkgroups per system) and the temporary lockout features are VERY welcome, however they alone (and combined with the other features that should have been there since day one) is not compelling enough to buy a new radio.

        If Uniden wanted to impress or at the very least, make an upgrade more attractive, is have a "buy back" program where you could get the new radio for say $200 with the trade in of your old 396. I'd certainly go for that, as I'm sure a lot of others would too.

        But at the end of the day, these features don't make the 396 any more attractive than the GRE offerings (which are still more appealing if they didn't look so damn ugly!!).

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
          > The increased channel capacity (specificaly, increased talkgroups per
          > system) and the temporary lockout features are VERY welcome, however
          > they alone (and combined with the other features that should have been
          > there since day one) is not compelling enough to buy a new radio.

          I can't imagine the expectation is for every 396T owner to run out and buy a
          396XT... But it is a nice update to a VERY good scanner, and keeps it at the
          top of the feature line for a while yet.

          - Rob
        • torontokris
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
            Marketing is where its at.
            Create buzz, get people talking about it. Which they did.

            I agree the GRE's are ugly, and large (the PSR-500 is almost double
            the size).

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Iszak" <miszak@...> wrote:

            > Well I have to give Uniden credit. They've created a lot of hype
            over this product upgrade however I can't help but feel it is a lot of
            sizzle but no flame.

            > The increased channel capacity (specificaly, increased talkgroups
            per system) and the temporary lockout features are VERY welcome,
            however they alone (and combined with the other features that should
            have been there since day one) is not compelling enough to buy a new
            radio.

            > If Uniden wanted to impress or at the very least, make an upgrade
            more attractive, is have a "buy back" program where you could get the
            new radio for say $200 with the trade in of your old 396. I'd
            certainly go for that, as I'm sure a lot of others would too.

            > But at the end of the day, these features don't make the 396 any
            more attractive than the GRE offerings (which are still more appealing
            if they didn't look so damn ugly!!).

            Handheld Scanners

            > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "uniden.upman" <uniden.upman@>
            > wrote:
            >
            > <hugely unnecessary copy of the complete original message snipped by
            the moderator>

            > Will any of the new features be available as a firmware upgrade to
            > the 396T? Obviously, some of them (such as expanded memory,
            > Exchange IF, etc.) cant' be...but some of them such as temporary
            > lockout, maybe NAC and so forth...any possibility of them on the 396T?
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Don

          • smerri1987
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
              I know I am looking forward to it. I don't have a digital yet so I
              can't listen to bordering New Hampshire. I will be saving my nickles
              and buying one when it comes out. The big seller for me on Uniden is
              the size, as well as System and Group Quick Keys. I do wish however,
              that there were more than 9 Group Quick Keys with the large increase
              in memory.

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                $200 for your 396? Just sell the thing for more than that, and put the
                funds toward the XT.

                Personally, I think more than four times the channel capacity, temporary
                lockout, NAC, FTO decode, multi-color backlight, and GPS support is a
                pretty good 'flame'.

                Granted, not as much as DMA, but you can't have such a groundbreaking
                feature every release.

                What else do you think should be on the XT?

                Joe M.

                Mike Iszak wrote:
                > Well I have to give Uniden credit. They've created a lot of hype over this product upgrade however I can't help but feel it is a lot of sizzle but no flame.
                >
                > The increased channel capacity (specificaly, increased talkgroups per system) and the temporary lockout features are VERY welcome, however they alone (and combined with the other features that should have been there since day one) is not compelling enough to buy a new radio.
                >
                > If Uniden wanted to impress or at the very least, make an upgrade more attractive, is have a "buy back" program where you could get the new radio for say $200 with the trade in of your old 396. I'd certainly go for that, as I'm sure a lot of others would too.
                >
                > But at the end of the day, these features don't make the 396 any more attractive than the GRE offerings (which are still more appealing if they didn't look so damn ugly!!).

              • Mike Iszak
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                  How about patch support? How about trunking based on System ID? How about making it not suck for intermod? How about having a speaker that doesn't sound like a POS cell phone?

                  They need to concentrate on features that make the radio useable, rather than look pretty.

                  The 'new' features they are offering now are things that should have been there from day one. The only reason they are there now is because of the GRE offering.

                  I'm not trying to bash the 396 offering as I own one and wouldn't trade it for anything...but they seriously need to wake up and smell the technology or else get left behind.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                    Threaded...

                    Mike Iszak wrote:
                    > How about patch support?

                    Can you give details? Patches are receivable on the current models.

                    > How about trunking based on System ID?

                    That would be nice, but I've never heard that it's a big problem except
                    during band openings. (when you hear other control channels on the local
                    system's alternate CC frequencies)

                    > How about making it not suck for intermod?

                    Uniden has never been known for that - especially compared to the
                    competition.

                    > How about having a speaker that doesn't sound like a POS cell phone?

                    That would require an increase in the size of the unit. I like the fact
                    that it can fit in my shirt pocket and my audio doesn't sound anything
                    close to any cellphone I've ever heard. Maybe you have a bad speaker.

                    > They need to concentrate on features that make the radio useable, rather than look pretty.

                    Every single feature announced makes it more usable - especially the
                    increased channel capacity - more than 4 times the current model!

                    > The 'new' features they are offering now are things that should have been there from day one. The only reason they are there now is because of the GRE offering.

                    There's an assumption I'm not going to address. I think they have always
                    increased the feature set - regardless of what the competition does.

                    You can ALWAYS trash a unit for not having every possible feature in
                    earlier models. But, if they released a 'perfect scanner', they would be
                    out of business in 5 years because they would have no work left to do.

                    > I'm not trying to bash the 396 offering as I own one and wouldn't trade it for anything...but they seriously need to wake up and smell the technology or else get left behind.

                    And again, what other than the few features you mentioned are missing?
                    What could have been added yet keep the price in line with the current
                    market?

                    > From: MCH <mch@...>
                    >
                    > Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:22:07
                    > To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>
                    > Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Uniden Announces BCD396XT and BC346XT Handheld
                    > Scanners
                    >

                    > $200 for your 396? Just sell the thing for more than that, and put the
                    > funds toward the XT.
                    >
                    > Personally, I think more than four times the channel capacity, temporary
                    > lockout, NAC, FTO decode, multi-color backlight, and GPS support is a
                    > pretty good 'flame'.
                    >
                    > Granted, not as much as DMA, but you can't have such a groundbreaking
                    > feature every release.
                    >
                    > What else do you think should be on the XT?
                    >
                    > Joe M.
                    >
                    > Mike Iszak wrote:
                    >> Well I have to give Uniden credit. They've created a lot of hype over this product upgrade however I can't help but feel it is a lot of sizzle but no flame.
                    >>
                    >> The increased channel capacity (specificaly, increased talkgroups per system) and the temporary lockout features are VERY welcome, however they alone (and combined with the other features that should have been there since day one) is not compelling enough to buy a new radio.
                    >>
                    >> If Uniden wanted to impress or at the very least, make an upgrade more attractive, is have a "buy back" program where you could get the new radio for say $200 with the trade in of your old 396. I'd certainly go for that, as I'm sure a lot of others would too.
                    >>
                    >> But at the end of the day, these features don't make the 396 any more attractive than the GRE offerings (which are still more appealing if they didn't look so damn ugly!!).

                  • donc113
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                      I understand about them...I was one of the open beta testers. I'm
                      talking about perhaps a future firmware update to add some of the new
                      features.

                      I personally have NO problem if something to add those features was a
                      for pay update. From my perspective...I'd have no problem paying $50
                      for such an update....others mileage WILL vary.

                      Don

                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                        Humm...I believe the Exchange IF feature is to help with intermod. I
                        believe Paul said (but maybe not here) that the new unit will have
                        better audio due to new speaker and grill on the front. Patched
                        channels...I can hear them now, at least EDACS patched channels.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                          Are you talking about upgrading the BCD396T? This is the XT list. Any
                          discussions on the 396T should be on the 396T list.

                          Joe M.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                            Perhaps "intermod" was a bad choice of words. Front end overload would be better. No IF shift will ever prevent this from happening. My 396 (and every other scanner) chokes big time whenever I use it in a downtown area or near a cellphone site.

                            There's really nothing that can be done about that unless Uniden wants to get serious and put a decent front end into these suckers.
                            Humm...I believe the Exchange IF feature is to help with intermod. I
                            believe Paul said (but maybe not here) that the new unit will have
                            better audio due to new speaker and grill on the front. Patched
                            channels...I can hear them now, at least EDACS patched channels.

                            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Iszak" <miszak@...> wrote:

                            > How about patch support? How about trunking based on System ID? How
                            about making it not suck for intermod? How about having a speaker that
                            doesn't sound like a POS cell phone?

                            > They need to concentrate on features that make the radio useable,
                            rather than look pretty.

                            > The 'new' features they are offering now are things that should have
                            been there from day one. The only reason they are there now is because
                            of the GRE offering.

                            > I'm not trying to bash the 396 offering as I own one and wouldn't
                            trade it for anything...but they seriously need to wake up and smell
                            the technology or else get left behind.

                          • uniden.upman
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                              It does have global ATT, now, which does a pretty good job of
                              knocking down overload. Since there is a global setting (F+long press
                              ATT), you don't have to mess around with ATT'ing every channel as it
                              comes up...you can quickly turn it on and off when you go to those
                              high RF areas.

                              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Iszak" <miszak@...> wrote:

                              > Perhaps "intermod" was a bad choice of words. Front end overload
                              would be better. No IF shift will ever prevent this from happening.
                              My 396 (and every other scanner) chokes big time whenever I use it in
                              a downtown area or near a cellphone site.

                              > There's really nothing that can be done about that unless Uniden
                              wants to get serious and put a decent front end into these suckers.

                            • johnstark
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                                never seen any frontend overload on a Uniden, daily occurance however on the
                                GRE's....

                                > Perhaps "intermod" was a bad choice of words. Front end overload would be
                                > better. No IF shift will ever prevent this from happening. My 396 (and
                                > every other scanner) chokes big time whenever I use it in a downtown area
                                > or near a cellphone site.
                                >
                                > There's really nothing that can be done about that unless Uniden wants to
                                > get serious and put a decent front end into these suckers.

                              • kayi4cle
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                                  So, what does it look like? If you don't have a photo of it yet, could
                                  you please compare it's size to the current 396 (or 246, or whatever).
                                  Also, what color is the outside and is there a choice of colors? If I
                                  understand what I'm reading, the display is no longer the (for some)
                                  hard-to-see blue. Is that correct? And is it SMA? Thanks!
                                • pmanu44
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                                    http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD396XT