Buying a new BCD396XT-thoughts on programming

  • thoff21
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 27, 2014
      I'm about to purchase a new 396XT. I've watched the various YouTube videos on programming and I've followed the problems addressed in this blog. I live in a major metro area (Atlanta) where all of local police and rescue use trunked systems and some have moved to the P25 standard.

      My question is, how difficult is it to program a 396? My thought is after figuring out how to program my Baofeng hand-held Ham radios everything else is gravy.

      Tom
    • kmnewburn@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 27, 2014

        I think it's very difficult good luck to ya.

        Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

        I'm about to purchase a new 396XT. I've watched the various YouTube videos on programming and I've followed the problems addressed in this blog. I live in a major metro area (Atlanta) where all of local police and rescue use trunked systems and some have moved to the P25 standard.

        My question is, how difficult is it to program a 396? My thought is after figuring out how to program my Baofeng hand-held Ham radios everything else is gravy.

        Tom

      • Larry Koch
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 27, 2014
          Hi Tom,
          I use Freescan to program XT's.
          http://scannow.org/site/sixspotsoftware/products/freescan.html
          Once you understand the software's personality it becomes quite easy.  You can copy-paste from radioreference.
          There are other software options available.  Each has it advantages/disadvantages.  Once you decide on the software and learn how to use it, it's a piece of cake.

          Larry

          To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
          From: thoff762@...
          Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 04:06:43 -0800

          I'm about to purchase a new 396XT. I've watched the various YouTube videos on programming and I've followed the problems addressed in this blog. I live in a major metro area (Atlanta) where all of local police and rescue use trunked systems and some have moved to the P25 standard.

          My question is, how difficult is it to program a 396? My thought is after figuring out how to program my Baofeng hand-held Ham radios everything else is gravy.

          Tom

        • Mel
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 27, 2014
            Added to "You can copy-paste from radioreference." ""without a paid subscription.""
            Mel

            --
            Time flies as you get older but you're still the pilot!!

            www.shiptraffic.ca
          • Jm Adams
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 27, 2014

              Mel:

              I wish to disagree with you, I'd you don't have a paid proscription with RR you can't copy and paste from their site. You can read online and enter into your software manually but no copy and paste. That's my experience anyway.

              Bdad
              Sent from my iPhone

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 27, 2014

                            You don’t need FreeScan to copy and paste, either.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 27, 2014
                              No, but EZ Grab makes it a whole lot easier and faster.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 28, 2014
                                I am a paid subscriber to RR and also use ARC PRO and have no problems. If you can afford a new 396XT, you can afford RR and or ARC, my opinion.
                                Freescan is fine as well and I play around with Freescan but I prefer the ARC Pro since I have used ARC from the beginning when Butel first starting offering it.
                                Now you have to get it through Scanner Master.

                                Dennis