Here's the scoop

  • RJH
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2014

      Hi,

      I have already communicated with John off the list. First, I believe he has a 396T, unless I am mistaken. So. Why are we discussing this on a 396XT list?

      Secondly,  I sent John Butel 396 files for both systems, I don’t know why with software dominated programming there aren’t more system files on all of these lists.

      Thirdly, I am sure you mean well Mike, but my guess is: he would like an answer sooner than a few months.

      Finally this is the scoop: there are two MA State Police Systems the Analog Multi Site System which still has most of the traffic, including Troop B out in the western part of the state and the new P25 System. The new P25 System was started out west but has moved east. It is using 700 Mhz frequencies for the east channels. Some of the departments in the east include Boston, Cambridge, BAPERN, Troop A, B, C, D, E , F and H.

      If anyone else has more information please let us know. I have placed my files up there on the Yahoo list in Scan Control, Proscan and Butel formats.

      Ray

    • Gary Saffer
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 26, 2014
        On 2/26/2014 08:23, RJH wrote:

        > Finally this is the scoop: there are two MA State Police Systems the Analog
        > Multi Site System which still has most of the traffic, including Troop B out
        > in the western part of the state and the new P25 System. The new P25 System
        > was started out west but has moved east. It is using 700 Mhz frequencies for
        > the east channels. Some of the departments in the east include Boston,
        > Cambridge, BAPERN, Troop A, B, C, D, E , F and H.

        This is not completely accurate. The 700 Mhz overlay system for the
        greater Boston area is still being built out. To my knowledge no agency
        is actually operating on it. Cambridge is primarily on their own P25
        system, with talk groups on the state system for when units move out of
        range of the Cambridge system. The City of Boston and the MSP share use
        of "Zone 1", with most city services operating there. Boston FD also has
        some talk groups there, but not of fire operations. MassPort, which runs
        Logan Airport among other things, just moved over to their P25 system.
        Troop F operates on that system, but their primary talk group is
        simulcast on Zone 1 as well.

        BAPERN isn't a department, it's a interoperability system. The member
        agencies operate on UHF and the primary interop channels are on UHF.
        Agencies on 800 trunk systems have talk groups that tie in to those
        channels.

        I think we'll see more active operations on the 700Mhz overlay, but not
        for a bit. I keep that on search to see what new talk groups are popping
        up.

        As a general rule, the digital TGs are the analog TG divided by 16.

        So, H Patrol 1, which is 33264 on the analog system can be heard as 2079
        on the 700 Mhz P25 system.
      • rjhill3
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 26, 2014
          ,

          Well, I have two systems in my scanner the Analog System and the P25 System On the P25 System I have heard Troop A, B, E, H, and F. I don't know which talk groups as each has several. Additionally, I have heard BAPERN, Cambridge Police, Cambridge Fire and Boston Fire on the P25 talkgroups, I didn't really note which Talk Groups as I don't care. There was traffic on those talk groups on the P25 System.

          It may be cross patched but there is traffic on some of those P25 talk groups. Yes you do have to be inside a major circumferential highway (128) to hear the traffic. I live in Central MA and can hear the Troop B P25 traffic not the Metro from here only inside of Route 128.

          Again, the majority of MSP and ancillary agencies are still on the analog system.

          Yes, BAPERN (Boston Area Police Emergency Network) started in 1978, Chief Quinn, Tim Coogan, Newton police. Gary knows about this I didn't want to bore the 90% of the list members who this means nothing to, as they don't live in this area.

          It sounds like John has it all figured out now John do you have a 396T or XT? This is the XT list.

          Any reason why list members on all lists cannot send system files?

          Thanks,

          Ray