tone out

  • stormtracker78
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 21, 2014

      i finaly got a tone out signal and incorporated it  and I cant seem to get it to work the a is 2793.8 b is 2790 its set on nfm and the att is on I leave it on standby (8) but when the tone out comes on  the scanner dosnt trigger on I also have a 106 and 346 xt I use to see when the tones are used while my 396 is in standby mode but I cant seem to get my 396 to trigger on, any ideas also im using a rs 800 MHz antenna should I use the stock?
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 21, 2014
        First, that will likely never work. You either got a bad search decode or bad info since those are virtually the same tone. That happens a lot on marginal signals or simulcast systems.

        If you have a group tone of 2807.0 (which is the closest standard tone - Plectron P35), program only the first tone (a) for a 4-second tone or program only the second tone (b) for that tone. In either case program the other tone to 0 Hz

        I suspect your info or decode was bad, though. You might even be hearing a tone remote console tone which is not used for paging.

        Joe M.

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 21, 2014
            It is likely that these were false hits. I occasionally get high tones in this range due to voice or background noise.

            Even if this was a real hit, it would have likely been a "long tone" which is a single tone sent for a longer period. These are often used for group calls in which several pager groups with a common "A" or "B" tone or a common separate "C" tone are called. Since the tones you decoded are only a few Hz. apart they are within the radios margin of error. (The MofE increases the higher the tones are BTW.)

            I would do the following to increase your likelihood of decoding actual tones:

            1) Turn off the Attenuator
            2) Use an antenna tuned to the frequency range of your target. If you don't have one set to that band then use the stock antenna.
            3) Use "FM" modulation instead of NFM. This usually increases the accuracy of the tone out feature.
            4) Set the tone out frequencies to "0.0" for both the "A" and "B" tones, this sets your XT radio to Tone Out Search.
            4) Make sure that they are actually using a 2-Tone system. (Do you hear a set of tones or a long single tone?)
            5) If they are using a trunked system then forget about Tone-Out mode, they are not compatible.

            If you use Virtual Control software then look for the logging feature when using Virtual Control. This will show you the approximate tones used even when you are not around the radio. I know ARC-XT has this, I assume other programs do as well.

            Remember that tones displayed by Tone Out Search, either on the radio or in a program's log file, are approximate. They are often off by a Hertz. or two. This is usually not an issue, most systems have a pretty wide margin of error. a tone set displayed as 800.0/1200.0 is just as good as 798.4/1203.2...

            I have a list of actual tones used by most paging systems, it may be in the Files Section here, if not let me know and I will post it up. You can use that to try and figure out the actual exact tones used but remember that close enough works in FTO mode.

            --
            Rich Carlson, N9JIG
          • n9jig
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 21, 2014
              BTW, I just uploaded the "Tone Out Chart" to the Files Section here.

              Enjoy!
            • John Stark
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 21, 2014
                Unless your close and getting full strength signal you should not use the ATTN which is possibly giving you bad decode and improper tone decode.

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 24, 2014
                  wow thanks for the info guys yes its a motoraola type 2 splinter trunking system so I guess I cant use the tone outs in this regard but it is nice to know how to set my scanner to get ones when im scanning the older analog systems which are in frequent use where live thanks again!