A Heads Up for Anyone Considering ARC-XT Software

  • david40_33711
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 5, 2014

      Just a word to the wise.... If you are considering Butel's ARC-XT software be aware that it has a serious bug that prevents you from printing out a copy of the groups you have assigned to the sites. For me that's a big inconvenience and a big disappointment for something I had to pay for. I feel like I paid to be a Beta Tester. They say it will be fixed in the next Build but can't say when that might be. The drift I get is that they don't care enough about their customers to fix this with a quick patch or whatever. I'll never buy any software from them again.

    • Sean Fitzgerald
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 5, 2014

        I have to agree with you with regards to the arc software in my opinion their customer service is non existent I've only had a couple of issues with the software over the past few years but after emailing and finally getting a response there was no help what so ever I had to figure out the cause and fix myself good luck with the with that

        On Feb 5, 2014 9:50 AM, <david40@...> wrote:

        Just a word to the wise.... If you are considering Butel's ARC-XT software be aware that it has a serious bug that prevents you from printing out a copy of the groups you have assigned to the sites. For me that's a big inconvenience and a big disappointment for something I had to pay for. I feel like I paid to be a Beta Tester. They say it will be fixed in the next Build but can't say when that might be. The drift I get is that they don't care enough about their customers to fix this with a quick patch or whatever. I'll never buy any software from them again.

      • Beauregard Waller
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 5, 2014

          First, as this is the first I have heard anyone mention this problem, they must figure it  is low priority to fix.  Secondly, it is not 100% true.  WhenI tried to print a system, it did not print. BUT, I have several “Document” printers and it worked fine for them. The first one I tried was a PDF printer from Foxit software.  It created a pdf with all of the information. Next, I tried the Microsoft Word xps printer, and again, it created a correct document.  Lastly, I tried “Send To Onenote 2010” printer, and it created a page in my Onenote library.  So, it has no problem printing as long as if is printing to a document, which suggests that the bug has to do with the interface with a hardware printer. The solution to your problem is to get a pdf printer, you can then print the pdf file.   The one problem with printing with this program is that you cannot change the printer, so you need to go  to the Control Panel, Printers and Devices, and set the Pdf printers as the default, remembering to set it back to the original printer when you are done.  One advantage of the pdf printer is that not only can you print it, but if you have a smartphone or tablet, you can read it there.

          I know they are working on software for the 436/536, so they may be too busy to deal with this right now……

          JohnW

          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 5, 2014

            I did as you suggested and set the PDF Printer as the default printer and it does the same thing as the Regular printer when I try to print the Group Quickkeys Overview for any system, nothing but a blank page with a header.

          • N1CHU
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 6, 2014
              Butel uses beta testing as part of their finalization process. They freely admit to this. Not saying if it's right or wrong, just a different approach. As I use RT Systems software for all my ham stuff, I would love it if they also did scanners-but they don't. Butel is in my opinion, the next best thing for scanners. As for printing, given enough time, all concerns do get addressed after researching. I have submitted two issues with the newest BCDx36HP software and one has been answered and corrected. The other was submitted yesterday so it's too soon to tell. (Upper/lower case selection=corrected. Cutting and pasting=still awaiting response.
            • Beauregard Waller
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 6, 2014

                Odd, it worked fine for me, here is a sample of the printout:

                Advanced Radio Control for Uniden - 2/6/2014

                Quickkey Overview:

                Quickkey: 1

                DepofForestry

                DepofPark&Rec

                NationalParkServ

                USForestry

                Quickkey: 2

                Business;Hospita

                Business;Hospita

                Lompoc(LPC)

                VandenbergAirFor

                Quickkey: 3

                CivilAirPatrol

                General Aviatio

                LosAngelesARTCC

                OaklandARTCC

                OceanoCounty

                PasoRoblesMunici

                PrivateAirAmbula

                SeattleARTCC

                SLOCoRegiona

                JohnW

                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 6, 2014

                  Are you saying that you have the Butel software?? If so how did you get it?? According to their website it is not available yet.

                  JohnW

                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 6, 2014
                    I believe those of us who pre-ordered were given the opportunity to beta-test the 536HP ARC software. I cannot speak to the 436HP as I did not order it.
                    John

                    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" George Orwell
                  • Jeff Bartlett
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 6, 2014

                      My ARCXT program is printing out fine, both systems and quick key overviews etc.  J

                      Jeff

                    • theoldiesdon
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 6, 2014

                        Uses same software for both....been playing with the beta...we shall see..

                      • Beauregard Waller
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 6, 2014

                          Apparently, the 536hp software is for both, which is not surprising as they are almost identical….

                          Just got my 436 today, so will be playing with it J

                          JohnW

                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 7, 2014
                            Maybe it has something to do with the OS. I am still running XP, I hate 7, and won't even consider 8. What are you using?
                          • David
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 7, 2014
                              On my previous Uniden scanners I use Scancat Gold which I found to be far superior to Butel's product, but they seem to have stopped any further scanner software development. What shame.
                            • orion_jb2001
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 7, 2014

                                You think?????  What are you going to do in a couple of weeks when they totally kill of XP?  No offence, but people like your self that are using an OS system that is so out of date, from the last century and complain about programs that have been developed in the last couple of years having problems...... well I don't know.  Windows 8 is a god send, windows 7 was great too.  Get that stupid anti Microsoft feeling out of your system and catch up with the 21st century!!!!!!

                              • Gary Saffer
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 7, 2014
                                  I liked XP too and it took some time to get used to 7, but I like it a
                                  lot better now. I have 8 on my touch screen computer and it has some
                                  advantages over 7, but if I didn't have a touch screen, I'd never use 8.

                                  Every time MS fixes something it seems like they break two other things.

                                  On 2/7/2014 06:54, David wrote:
                                  > Maybe it has something to do with the OS. I am still running XP, I hate 7, and won't even consider 8. What are you using?

                                • John Stark
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 7, 2014
                                    I have 2 computers running Win98, 2 running XP and 2 running Win7 and in the near future 2 will be running Win8 too. The Win98 machines are running multiple PCR100 receivers and the others are running PCR1500's and several other receivers using Unitrunker.
                                    Nothing wrong with using older software, what's wrong is you thinking its wrong! Not everyone needs or wants the latest or greatest, especially when Microsoft is involved.

                                    jbart1@... wrote:

                                    You think?????  What are you going to do in a couple of weeks when they totally kill of XP?  No offence, but people like your self that are using an OS system that is so out of date, from the last century and complain about programs that have been developed in the last couple of years having problems...... well I don't know.  Windows 8 is a god send, windows 7 was great too.  Get that stupid anti Microsoft feeling out of your system and catch up with the 21st century!!!!!!

                                  • red2965 .
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 7, 2014
                                      you need to get a grip,  XP is not falling off the Fn earth just because microstuff doesn't offer updates. Hell you can but a cuntputer today and two days later they're making changes to it and a year later they are obsolete!!! not everone can afford to pay the donkey.

                                      --
                                      Mark ~
                                    • David
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 8, 2014
                                        I agree 100%. I too have a Win 98 laptop that I use for my older scanners. If it ain't broke don't fix it. My opinion is that newer OS's are designed for morons and the general trend of a dumbed down society. Every newer version is made more idiot proof but at the same time isolating power users from access to lower level operations and control. There are still a half billion XP machines out there working perfectly. Many of them owned by businesses hanging on by a thread who can't afford to upgrade their entire systems for the sake of being a fashion victim. MS is in the business of making money and the only way they can continue to do that is to force the obsolescence of earlier OS's. Personally I think it's dishonest.
                                      • Boykin Roseborough
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 8, 2014
                                          Heck I still have two old slow notebook computers running Windows 95 that I use for programming old radios that require software running on true DOS.

                                          Old computers don't fade away,
                                          they just loose their drive:-)

                                          Boykin

                                          Boykin Roseborough, N2CP
                                          boykin@...
                                          803-960-9766

                                          Share your knowledge.
                                          It is a way to achieve immortality.

                                          On Feb 8, 2014, at 7:29 AM, "David" <david40@...> wrote:

                                          I agree 100%. I too have a Win 98 laptop that I use for my older scanners. If it ain't broke don't fix it. My opinion is that newer OS's are designed for morons and the general trend of a dumbed down society. Every newer version is made more idiot proof but at the same time isolating power users from access to lower level operations and control. There are still a half billion XP machines out there working perfectly. Many of them owned by businesses hanging on by a thread who can't afford to upgrade their entire systems for the sake of being a fashion victim. MS is in the business of making money and the only way they can continue to do that is to force the obsolescence of earlier OS's. Personally I think it's dishonest.

                                        • Preston Ward
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 8, 2014
                                            Very true!  The software game is a racket and the last thing I want to do is have to switch over to Windows 8.  Just because we CAN point at a screen to operate a computer doesn't mean we SHOULD.

                                            Anyway, John write me.  Your email addresses is bouncing.

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Feb 8, 2014
                                              Hmmm not sure why its bouncing, sure you have it.right?

                                              jbart1@... wrote:

                                              You think?????  What are you going to do in a couple of weeks when they totally kill of XP?  No offence, but people like your self that are using an OS system that is so out of date, from the last century and complain about programs that have been developed in the last couple of years having problems...... well I don't know.  Windows 8 is a god send, windows 7 was great too.  Get that stupid anti Microsoft feeling out of your system and catch up with the 21st century!!!!!!

                                            • Michael Hopkins
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 9, 2014
                                                A bit off topic, but let’s be realistic. XP will likely be around for a long time to come even if Microsoft doesn’t do any more updates or provide support. Too many US corporations are still using XP for 2 reasons: It’s a very stable operating system in wide use and the cost for a company to upgrade massive numbers of computers to a new operating system ( that may also be very stable) is prohibitive. Certainly there will be a slow movement towards the next generation as computers are replaced, but it will be relatively slow in my opinion.

                                                Personally, Windows 7 upgrade from XP or Vista was a snap, but I had numerous problems getting all my programs to run on 8.1. That said, I’m quite happy with 8.1 but it was a couple of weeks of headaches to get everything working correctly.

                                                My 2 cents…

                                                Mike Hopkins K1VLB

                                                Mhopkins735@...

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Feb 9, 2014
                                                  There are two other sides to this that I think are often overlooked.

                                                  From the business side, it takes an enormous amount of resources for any company to continue to support old products. Consider an automobile - eventually it goes out of warranty even though you can still drive it. If it breaks down, it's up to you to buy the parts and (possibly) pay someone to fix it. You have no expectation that the automaker is going to continue to send parts and technicians to adjust your car for free as it ages. The same is true of Microsoft and Windows. It continues to develop new versions of its product (Windows) and, yes, they do want you to pay to upgrade. Just like GM does when they release a new model year. That's how they stay in business.

                                                  There is also a responsibility to the community. Windows XP was developed in a much less hostile environment. That is, "security as a requirement" wasn't yet the priority that it is today. Newer versions of Windows have focused on that, and many of those features were 'back-supported' as updates to XP. After a while, it just isn't practical to continue to do that. As a result, new exploits against XP will continue to be discovered and all those un-upgraded and no-longer-patched machines become honeypots for malware.

                                                  PC's are like puppies - once you have one it is your responsibility to take care of it and to keep it behaving. If your XP PC is on the network, you are asking for trouble for yourself and the rest of us if you don't upgrade it.

                                                  FWIW. 73, and thanks for your time!

                                                  -Brian n8wrl