HEADS UP! RE: [BCD396XT] Computer & Scanner connection

  • USLevi
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2014

      I did some more investigation on the issue mentioned below.

      I was again offered an update of Prolific drivers in my Windows 8.1 system through Windows Update.  I chose to do the update as a trial.  Sure enough, when you reboot your PC after the install, I can no longer connect the computer to my scanner.

      The fix for this is to go into control panel, select system and select device manager.  Scroll down to Ports (COM & LPT) and you will see the yellow exclamation point.  Right click on it and go to properties.  Select the driver tab and click Roll Back Driver.  That will take you back to a working system.

      To avoid this update in the future, go to windows update and right click the prolific upgrade message and select “hide update”.

      Maybe your system could take the 10/17/13 drivers from Prolific, but mine can’t.

      73s!

        You must also remove the DEVICE in device manager, not just uninstall the drivers.

        Of course, if you are using the same USB to serial adapter cable with both computers, there is always a good possibility the adapter/cable itself went bad.

      • Levi
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 2, 2014

          I don’t know.  I’ve had it for maybe three years.  Got the cable when I bought the scanner from Amazon.

          Have you been able to upgrade to the newer drivers with Windows 8.1?  I’ve read about the diagnosis being counterfeit chips.  I just don’t know.

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 2, 2014
            Exactly which cable do you have? Is it a USB-1 or a general USB-serial adapter?

            Joe M.

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 2, 2014

              Bought the one below on 3/3/10 from Uniden.

              Ordered Items:

                Qty              Item                           Price
                ---           ------------                    ---------
                 1           NEW  USB-1                     $   29.99

                                                   Subtotal : $   29.99

                                                   Shipping : $    1.95
                                                        Tax : $    0.00

                                                Grand Total : $   31.94

              You must also remove the DEVICE in device manager, not just uninstall the drivers.

              Of course, if you are using the same USB to serial adapter cable with both computers, there is always a good possibility the adapter/cable itself went bad.

            • Tony Langdon
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 2, 2014
                On 3/02/2014 6:49 AM, MCH wrote:
                I wonder if you got an adapter with a counterfeit chip...
                The symptoms suggest this.  I have one of those (not sure where I got it from originally, just remember finding it in a box of cables), and had to install an older driver on my Vista machine.  I'm currently not using this adapter, because the PC with the scanner has a real COM port which was free, so I simply plugged the scanner's programming cable in there. :)

                --
                73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
                http://vkradio.com

                  You must also remove the DEVICE in device manager, not just uninstall the drivers.

                  Of course, if you are using the same USB to serial adapter cable with both computers, there is always a good possibility the adapter/cable itself went bad.

                • joetmedicret
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 2, 2014

                    just a bit of info - I have the older version with the old chip. I purchased a new computer a couple of months ago and the cable magically would not work anymore. I was going to buy a new cable but after reading around trying to make sure I wouldn't wind up with the same issue. I downloaded this file and did the install and wouldn't you know it, my old adapter worked again. Here, hope this works for you too

                    http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

                    joe

                  • Beauregard Waller
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 3, 2014

                      I have had to do the same thing to link to the computer…

                      JohnW

                      You must also remove the DEVICE in device manager, not just uninstall the drivers.

                      Of course, if you are using the same USB to serial adapter cable with both computers, there is always a good possibility the adapter/cable itself went bad.

                    • N1CHU
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 3, 2014
                        I downloaded the Prolific v3.2 driver because my computer didn't have a driver to roll back to... Installed the older version and was good to go. BUT... Make sure to turn OFF automatic updates in Windows 8 or 8.1. Or it will reload the latest driver which don't work!
                      • USLevi
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 4, 2014

                          I hate to see a company take advantage of Windows 8 to sell new chip cords.  No bother, you can use the older cable USB-1 with the Prolific 3.3.10.140 version driver with a 11/19/2009 date.  It works fine with Windows 8.1.  Just right click it when offered a newer version in Windows update to hide it from future updates.  Never stop Windows Update from operating as there are many updates you need for your computer’s safety and your security.

                          Have a great day!

                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 4, 2014
                            Microsoft is all about the money, not the users. If only they had made Windows 8 compatible, this would not have been an issue. And people wonder why I dislike USB so much... (Custom drivers that mat not work on the "next version" of Windows)

                            Joe M.

                            On Feb 4, 2014, at 4:26 PM, USLevi <uslevi@...> wrote:

                            I hate to see a company take advantage of Windows 8 to sell new chip cords.  No bother, you can use the older cable USB-1 with the Prolific 3.3.10.140 version driver with a 11/19/2009 date.  It works fine with Windows 8.1.  Just right click it when offered a newer version in Windows update to hide it from future updates.  Never stop Windows Update from operating as there are many updates you need for your computer’s safety and your security.

                            Have a great day!

                            You must also remove the DEVICE in device manager, not just uninstall the drivers.

                            Of course, if you are using the same USB to serial adapter cable with both computers, there is always a good possibility the adapter/cable itself went bad.

                          • Don Curtis
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 4, 2014
                              Don't blame Microsoft, blame the manufacturer of the adapter for not updating their drivers and submitting them to the hardware lab.    Things change, the computer that ran my 2003 Jeep doesn't work in my 2006 Jeep without reprogramming it.   Same with USB drivers, they need updated too.