Managing a large trunked system.

  • Tony Langdon
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2014
      I've had my BCD396XT for a few years, but it's only now that I'm
      actually starting to use it for what I bought it for - digital P25
      monitoring. Our fire services are in transition from a conventional
      analogue network to trunked digital across most of the state (for those
      unfamiliar with the geography, an area about the size of Great Britain).

      Radioreference has some of the sites (53 at this time) in its dagtabase,
      as well as all of the TGIDs, and the source RR draws most of its info
      from lists around 200 sites, but RR only has the ones with all of the
      details confirmed. I know through internal sources what TGIDs I'm
      interested in (actually not a huge number to choose from - most of the
      time, only need one).

      So far, everything seems to be working. I'm able to get a good signal
      from a couple of the nearby sites. Haven't heard any traffic yet,
      because the system is not yet officially in use, but should be able to
      arrange a test.

      When the system get to 200 sites, I'm wondering what the best way to
      manage them will be. At 53, I'm using site quick keys to turn only the
      local ones on, but there's only 100 quick keys AFAIK.

      Any other tips would be appreciated.

      --
      73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
      http://vkradio.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2014
        At that many sites the best way to handle them might be to get a BCD436HP.

        Joe M.

        > On Feb 1, 2014, at 3:31 PM, Tony Langdon <vk3jed@...> wrote:
        >
        > I've had my BCD396XT for a few years, but it's only now that I'm
        > actually starting to use it for what I bought it for - digital P25
        > monitoring. Our fire services are in transition from a conventional
        > analogue network to trunked digital across most of the state (for those
        > unfamiliar with the geography, an area about the size of Great Britain).
        >
        > Radioreference has some of the sites (53 at this time) in its dagtabase,
        > as well as all of the TGIDs, and the source RR draws most of its info
        > from lists around 200 sites, but RR only has the ones with all of the
        > details confirmed. I know through internal sources what TGIDs I'm
        > interested in (actually not a huge number to choose from - most of the
        > time, only need one).
        >
        > So far, everything seems to be working. I'm able to get a good signal
        > from a couple of the nearby sites. Haven't heard any traffic yet,
        > because the system is not yet officially in use, but should be able to
        > arrange a test.
        >

        > When the system get to 200 sites, I'm wondering what the best way to
        > manage them will be. At 53, I'm using site quick keys to turn only the
        > local ones on, but there's only 100 quick keys AFAIK.
        >
        > Any other tips would be appreciated.
        >
        > --
        > 73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
        > http://vkradio.com
        >

        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > Yahoo Groups Links

      • Tony Langdon
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2014
          On 2/02/2014 9:13 AM, MCH wrote:
          > At that many sites the best way to handle them might be to get a BCD436HP.
          Buying another scanner isn't an option. I was after answers for what I
          have.

          --
          73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
          http://vkradio.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 1, 2014
            Ok. You just asked for the best way. I didn't see any restrictions in
            the question, and the HP series handles large systems much better.

            Second best way is to duplicate the system based on locations, or zones.

            Joe M.

            > On Feb 1, 2014, at 9:42 PM, Tony Langdon <vk3jed@...> wrote:
            >
            >> On 2/02/2014 9:13 AM, MCH wrote:
            >> At that many sites the best way to handle them might be to get a BCD436HP.
            > Buying another scanner isn't an option. I was after answers for what I
            > have.
            >
            > --
            > 73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
          • John Stark
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 1, 2014
              What I did was split the statewide system up into three systems. Works great on the 396 with 147 sites.

              Tony Langdon <vk3jed@...> wrote:

              On 2/02/2014 9:13 AM, MCH wrote:
              > At that many sites the best way to handle them might be to get a BCD436HP.
              Buying another scanner isn't an option.  I was after answers for what I
              have.

              --
              73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
              http://vkradio.com

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  BCD396XT-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  BCD396XT-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            • Tony Langdon
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 2, 2014
                On 2/02/2014 1:47 PM, MCH wrote:
                > Ok. You just asked for the best way. I didn't see any restrictions in
                > the question, and the HP series handles large systems much better.
                Given this is the BCD396XT group, one could assume an answer was to
                involve this scanner. :)

                > Second best way is to duplicate the system based on locations, or zones.
                That could work rather well actually, especially since I know the
                internal administrative boundaries. There are a couple of possibilities
                here. One is to use our "regions" which would create 5 or so zones to
                spread the systems out in. Even better would be to create 20 systems,
                each corresponding to a district. This arrangement could work
                particularly well, given that the dispatch areas are broken up by
                district, then I could simply turn the district I wanted on or off by
                quick keys. A bit more work, but could be worth it in the long run.
                Also means I don't have to remember which sites I'm close to. I can
                work with more familiar boundaries.

                --
                73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
                http://vkradio.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 2, 2014
                  On 2/02/2014 2:03 PM, John Stark wrote:
                  What I did was split the statewide system up into three systems. Works great on the 396 with 147 sites.
                  I may go even more radical, to have the scanned sites correspond with dispatch districts in separate systems, as I explained in my previous message.

                  Thanks to both of you for the tip. :)

                  --
                  73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
                  http://vkradio.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 2, 2014
                    Remember to contribute what you've learned to RR when you're done please!

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 2, 2014
                      On 3/02/2014 4:20 AM, Joe Polcari wrote:
                      > Remember to contribute what you've learned to RR when you're done please!
                      Seems the site RR draws its info on is pretty comprehensive. No point
                      putting myself in the loop, because RR already references the source.
                      The only reason RR's database seems to be "behind" is they're taking
                      care to include sites for which there is complete information. The
                      source website includes many sites with incomplete information.

                      --
                      73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
                      http://vkradio.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 6, 2014

                        I have also done it this way with State wide services.  I have even set up "route systems" where by depending on what roads/highways I might use to travel from point A - B, I have programed the relevant service District etc, that would be covering the relevant section of my trip.

                      • red2965 .
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 6, 2014
                          not to seem like a smart AS*  but people move (relocate) I was born just west of here about a hours ride but I have lived out of the state most of my natural life so in essence I am not as up on what and where's as what some of the native people might be so I just have to guess as to what needs to be and I may be speaking for others as well that is why we ask questions since the radio is new as well.
                          I guess what I was asking was how do you get the rest of the TGID's into the radio if it only excepts 20? it isn't like it has banks like the GRE radio's.

                          On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 3:35 PM, <jbart1@...> wrote:

                          I have also done it this way with State wide services.  I have even set up "route systems" where by depending on what roads/highways I might use to travel from point A - B, I have programed the relevant service District etc, that would be covering the relevant section of my trip.

                          --
                          Mark ~
                        • John Stark
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 6, 2014
                            It accepts much more than 20 TGIDs for each system. I forget the number off hand as I have been in 436/536 mode and haven't reprogrammed the 396's or 996's in a while. However I have a large 147 site 2500+ talk group system programmed in both the 396's and 996's by breaking the system down to zones just as the statewide system is. Its further broken down by service. So one system has all the police in the central zone along with all the sites in that zone. Another has all the fire in central zone. Another has all the police for the north zone and another the fire for north zone and so on.
                            If you use FreeScan you can check to see what the breakdown is for the whole scanner such as number of systems, channels and so forth.
                            I also have the entire states conventional channels by each county, all 92 counties. That way when I travel I can hear it all using the GPS to select the active channels and systems and sites as I drive. It works very well.
                            All total, with all the statewide system, all the conventional by county and several local area systems programmed in there are over 14,000 channels programmed. Of course depending on location only a small fraction are actually scanning at one time.
                            At home its only scanning 15 sites on the statewide system of 40 some sites in the central zone, plus 20 county conventional systems, and 5 other trunked systems.
                            So there is plenty of room for TGID's. You just need to figure out how to set it up properly to get it all to fit!