Radio reference download

  • wes
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 30, 2014
      What type of software do I use to be able to down load frequencies to my scanner. Also is there a book that simplifies how to program my scanner ?
    • Brad Low
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 31, 2014

        FreeScan interfaces with RadioReference to download frequencies and then you upload programming to your scanner.

        Regards,
        Brad Low, K5BDL
        Tyler, TX

        On Jan 31, 2014 8:35 AM, "wes" <wes.morrison@...> wrote:

        What type of software do I use to be able to down load frequencies to my scanner. Also is there a book that simplifies how to program my scanner ?

      • USLevi
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 31, 2014

          I use FreeSCAN and am very happy with it.  It is free to use and I have not used any other program for my 396XT.  I had a bit of a problem recently with scanner connection to computer but that was not because of FreeSCAN.

          73s

          What type of software do I use to be able to down load frequencies to my scanner. Also is there a book that simplifies how to program my scanner ?

        • theoldiesdon
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 31, 2014

            Hi Wes...I have owned my 396XT for a little over a year there are two schools of thought to program it...Freescan which is free but I don't see import from Radio Reference's database in it. The latest version 2.16 got flagged my my antivirus. Next there is ARC-XT Pro this program works like a charm and is easy to import systems and upload them to your scanner effortlessly.. you can select only what you want and put them in. This costs about 35 bucks but well worth it.It uses the radioreference.com database. As far as books and manual input...personally don't know of books and manual input...not for me! Hope this helps, John

          • theoldiesdon
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 31, 2014

              It does?? where??

            • John Stark
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 31, 2014
                FreeScan imports from RR

                theoldiesdon@... wrote:

                Hi Wes...I have owned my 396XT for a little over a year there are two schools of thought to program it...Freescan which is free but I don't see import from Radio Reference's database in it. The latest version 2.16 got flagged my my antivirus. Next there is ARC-XT Pro this program works like a charm and is easy to import systems and upload them to your scanner effortlessly.. you can select only what you want and put them in. This costs about 35 bucks but well worth it.It uses the radioreference.com database. As far as books and manual input...personally don't know of books and manual input...not for me! Hope this helps, John

              • J.G
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 31, 2014
                  Free has import function. Under FILE then import you can select what you want to import, like a file from freescan or Radio Reference. It works fine, I have programmed several scanners with it.

                  John N8UQW

                  On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 10:11 AM, <theoldiesdon@...> wrote:

                  Hi Wes...I have owned my 396XT for a little over a year there are two schools of thought to program it...Freescan which is free but I don't see import from Radio Reference's database in it. The latest version 2.16 got flagged my my antivirus. Next there is ARC-XT Pro this program works like a charm and is easy to import systems and upload them to your scanner effortlessly.. you can select only what you want and put them in. This costs about 35 bucks but well worth it.It uses the radioreference.com database. As far as books and manual input...personally don't know of books and manual input...not for me! Hope this helps, John

                • Tony Langdon
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 31, 2014
                    On 31/01/2014 3:18 PM, wes wrote:
                    > What type of software do I use to be able to down load frequencies to my scanner. Also is there a book that simplifies how to program my scanner ?
                    For software, I use Freescan. Works well with the 396XT and also
                    Radioreference. You will need a premium Radioreference.com subscription
                    to be able to use the download feature.

                    --
                    73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
                    http://vkradio.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 31, 2014
                      It does but if there are more than 20 groups it wants to truncate it...what is the work-around on that.

                      Mark

                      On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Tony Langdon <vk3jed@...> wrote:

                      On 31/01/2014 3:18 PM, wes wrote:
                      > What type of software do I use to be able to down load frequencies to my scanner. Also is there a book that simplifies how to program my scanner ?
                      For software, I use Freescan. Works well with the 396XT and also
                      Radioreference. You will need a premium Radioreference.com subscription
                      to be able to use the download feature.

                      --
                      73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
                      http://vkradio.com

                      --
                      Mark ~
                    • caseytheradioguy
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 31, 2014

                        ProScan is a little pricey but well worth it, they have a 30 day FULL trial that imports Radio reference

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 31, 2014
                          The XT only supports 20 Groups. If you have more than
                          that you will have to import into more than one System.

                          Joe M.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 31, 2014
                            MCH,
                            I guess I don't fully understand. I am trying to put the new Missouri Statewide System called MOSWIN into it I really only need Troop D as a general rule except when I may travel to my  uncle's and then TRP A & H would be nice.
                            I would use the Kansas KSICS as well when I travel to my mother's and Mother-in-law's but I still can't figure that out either, and really don't expect to travel to any where else that this scanner is pre-programmed except maybe to Oklahoma or Colorado, I keep on initializing and then I have the lengthy task of deleting/locking out those extra folders every time I update the system (MOSWIN) quite a task if I say so myself. I use freescan and think there should be a easier way to just send a update to the radio.

                            Mark

                            If this is something you or someone in the group could help me with please feel free to e-me ofline if necessary.

                            On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 8:10 PM, <caseytheradioguy@...> wrote:

                            ProScan is a little pricey but well worth it, they have a 30 day FULL trial that imports Radio reference

                            --
                            Mark ~
                          • KenBarnsda
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 31, 2014
                              Respectfully,
                              Did you ever think of selling the 396?   I am a retired system analyst.  I only mention this as I have a rudimentary ability to learn.   The 396 is a beast.   I sold my Home Patrol to buy the 396.  I felt the Home Patrol was nearing the end of its life cycle and I wanted to position myself to buy the next offering from Uniden...ie the 436.   It is, to the best of my knowledge, a mixture of the best of the Home Patrol and the 396.

                              Now I have a 396 which I will probably not use.  I am planning to buy the 4 or 536.   I actually partially placed an order for the 436HP last night and cancelled at the last minute.  I am torn between the 2 of them.

                              Great...but how does this apply to you?  From what I understand after watching all the 436 videos that have been posted to date, (6-7 good ones) and what I know from having owned the Home Patrol, and the new "logic" of the 436, it would be a snap to do what you want.

                              Having bled for several months, and continuing to bleed and discover new tricks, you could fairly easily do what you want with your 396.   You would need a membership to Radio Reference and get a copy of Freescan.   It is extremely easy to use and I have found more help with this program than others.  I do own 2 other versions of software.  Each has its own nice features, but Freescan would do the job for what you want.

                              You should actually play with it for awhile and get used to the logic and features.  Nothing helps but RTFM however there are no "Cliff Notes" for it.  Once you understand how it works, you will wonder how it seemed so hard.   Having said that, the only problem with the 396, IMHO, is that it has way way too many features with too small a screen and too many buried menus.   You can get around with free scan however.

                              I have a set of cheat sheets I print out on sticky labels and attach to the back of the scanner for the actual "load" I am using.   I have a situation fairly similar to yours.   When I go to city A, I have a set of towers I want to hit and a set of ID's I want to listen to for that location.  When I go to city B, I have yet another set.   When I travel to Denver, I have a totally new set of services that I want to listen to.

                              I also have learned to use the search and store fairly effectively for finding ID's I was not able to come across in other sources.

                              I also have put a fair amount of time into learning how to use the Radio Reference Database, and import it into FreeScan.   Freescan also has a feature called EazyGrab.  It is extremely useful for adding conventional channels you find.  It is worth the small amount of time learning how to use it.

                              Hope this helped.  The main thing is don't feel stupid.  Until you learn the 396, folks will correct your "grammar"
                              I still refer to talk groups, and banks, and uid's incorrectly.. but I know what I mean in my head.
                              It actually is quite nice once you get used to it.  Ever have a RPN calculator?

                              I probably am going to keep my 396 and use it solely for searching for frequencies  and a backup scanner... hence my delima in deciding between the 2 new models.   I think the bigger screen of the 436 is going to win out however.
                              I also am worn out figuring out who what when and where I am going.  I much prefer to enter a zip code and range.
                              I am  getting too old for some of this new stuff.
                              CHeers

                            • red2965 .
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 31, 2014
                                Yes, the thought has crossed my mind several times, so had seeing how well it would do being dropped out of a 12 story window.
                                but, be that as it may I still need a scanner capable of receiving the 700mhz freqs that a lot of our state entities are going to.
                                I have several realistic scanners and are extremely familiar with their protocol but I have only owned 2 uniden scanners in my lifetime and I gave the first one to my mom it was only able to receive conventional frequencies anyway and she lives in a small town so their next step is probably to the 800 mhz because I don't see them being able to afford the new system radios for Kansas.
                                I lived in SE Colorado for several years and moved from there about 25 or so years ago they were still in the conventional stage at that time too.

                                No, I have never used a RPN calculator.

                                seems to me that one would be at the mercy of what was available if they used a zip code and or GPS coordinates

                                Mark

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 31, 2014
                                    Re:" seems to me that one would be at the mercy of what was available if they used a zip code and or GPS coordinates "

                                    Having owned the Home Patrol, it an extremely nice job.  You have the option to select from many services.
                                    I never felt limited.   You could add your personal "favorites" and add to the ones automatically selected.
                                    The reason I wanted the 396 was something to play with.  I had already learned from my Home Patrol the TGID's of what I wanted to listen to.
                                    I wanted a little more flexibility and was willing to trade the ease of use for the time being.   I thought Uniden was going to come out with a new Home Patrol rather than a BCD436HP.   I was able to get a fairly good price for my Home Patrol.

                                    Don't throw the 396 out the window just yet.   I said there was no Cliff Notes for it but actually there is an easier to read manual.
                                    It still is fairly hard as the radio does so much.   I never use all the features of it.   IMHO it should never have been sold without software to program it.  Having said that, Freescan does a nice job.   I did donate a few times to the chap as I thought he had done a nice job and I just wanted to.

                                    Try this link....  http://marksscanners.com/396XT/396xt.shtml

                                    Try this one as well  http://www.radioreference.com/apps/login/

                                    The best money I ever spent was subscribing to Radioreference.   It truly is a snap.
                                    You have the choice of directly importing CONVENTIONAL  or TRUNKED systems directly.

                                    All you have to do then is assign your quick keys.  They are sort of like "banks" in older scanners.   Remember to assign the quick key to the "site" when using digital and the System when using analog.
                                    It was the only thing that really tripped me up initially.
                                    Also, send an email to the author.
                                    He responded very rapidly to me ( before I donated anything ) and others on this board have quite a good knowledge to help.
                                    Good luck  +)