Audio

  • butchcapecod
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 23, 2013
      I have no audio on my internal speaker on the 396XT.  External speaker is extremely low at full volume.  For 2 or 3 days before it quit, the audio sounded a bit distorted.  Anyone have similar problems?  Sending it to Uniden after Xmas, under warranty.  Thanks gang.  Ed

    • Clark Rennie
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 23, 2013
        The headphone jack is attenuated. If used for an external speaker, the speaker should be amplified.
        It's not like the 996XT which has a external speaker jack.

        Clark

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 23, 2013
          You really can't check the external audio with a standard speaker.
          Check it with an earphone to see if the levels are normal or low.

          Offhand, I would say the earphone jack is not closing the loop to the
          internal speaker. Try plugging in something then unplugging it a few
          times to see if you can get it to make contact.

          Of course, it could be the speaker itself. I've heard of them going
          every so often. Along those lines, make sure all your programming is
          using the FM or NFM mode as correct for the individual channels. You
          can't rely on the AUTO mode, as not everyone is using the standard mode
          for their band.

          Joe M.

          K4ADD@... wrote:

          > I have no audio on my internal speaker on the 396XT. External
          > speaker is extremely low at full volume. For 2 or 3 days before it
          > quit, the audio sounded a bit distorted. Anyone have similar
          > problems? Sending it to Uniden after Xmas, under warranty. Thanks
          > gang. Ed

        • OB
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 23, 2013
            Had that happen twice on the speaker on the original unit and then the replacement one too. Third one is holding up nicely. All repaired under warranty by Uniden Australia (Sydney).

            OB

            On 24 Dec 2013, at 05:13, <K4ADD@...> wrote:

            I have no audio on my internal speaker on the 396XT.  External speaker is extremely low at full volume.  For 2 or 3 days before it quit, the audio sounded a bit distorted.  Anyone have similar problems?  Sending it to Uniden after Xmas, under warranty.  Thanks gang.  Ed

          • Ronski45
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 24, 2013
              This is clearly the weak point on that radio model and the 396T. Ive personally seen four, three of em being less than a week old that the speaker is shot. Uniden didnt do their homework on this part and/or their supplier.
              Take a look at http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Replace_a_Blown_Speaker_in_the_396
              One thing I keep wondering on that is what holds in the speaker?

              And see all the others having the same problem - http://www.radioreference.com/apps/Search/?cx=014732645207632841850%3Afkjydvmuoq4&q=396+speaker+replacement+&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&cof=FORID%3A9&name=Search

              OB <ob1309@...> wrote:

              Had that happen twice on the speaker on the original unit and then the replacement one too. Third one is holding up nicely. All repaired under warranty by Uniden Australia (Sydney).

              OB

              On 24 Dec 2013, at 05:13, <K4ADD@...> wrote:

              I have no audio on my internal speaker on the 396XT.  External speaker is extremely low at full volume.  For 2 or 3 days before it quit, the audio sounded a bit distorted.  Anyone have similar problems?  Sending it to Uniden after Xmas, under warranty.  Thanks gang.  Ed

            • Jm Adams

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 24, 2013
                  As I mentioned before - just make sure you are using the correct mode
                  for the channel. It's quite possible that most of these cases come down
                  to the incorrect channel settings - specifically, using AUTO or NFM on
                  channels that are still using FM modulation. This results in raising the
                  audio level, and while some people endorse that since it results in
                  louder audio, it might result in higher-than-spec levels going to the
                  speaker and causing damage.

                  If in doubt, use FM and not AUTO or NFM.

                  Joe M.

                  Jm Adams wrote:

                  > Just hope Uniden got the issue figured out and current production has
                  > better speakers. I really like my scanner I purchased it back in July so
                  > now I'm on pins and needles hoping the speaker in my unit doesn't take
                  > a dump on me
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone
                  >
                  > On Dec 24, 2013, at 7:35, Ronski45 <ronski45@...
                  > <mailto:ronski45@...>> wrote:
                  >
                  >> This is clearly the weak point on that radio model and the 396T. Ive
                  >> personally seen four, three of em being less than a week old that the
                  >> speaker is shot. Uniden didnt do their homework on this part and/or
                  >> their supplier.
                  >> Take a look at
                  >> http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Replace_a_Blown_Speaker_in_the_396
                  >> One thing I keep wondering on that is what holds in the speaker?
                  >>
                  >> And see all the others having the same problem -
                  >> http://www.radioreference.com/apps/Search/?cx=014732645207632841850%3Afkjydvmuoq4&q=396+speaker+replacement+&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&cof=FORID%3A9&name=Search
                  >> <http://www.radioreference.com/apps/Search/?cx=014732645207632841850%3Afkjydvmuoq4&q=396+speaker+replacement+&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&cof=FORID%3A9&name=Search>
                  >>
                  >> OB <ob1309@... <mailto:ob1309@...>> wrote:
                  >>

                  >> Had that happen twice on the speaker on the original unit and then
                  >> the replacement one too. Third one is holding up nicely. All
                  >> repaired under warranty by Uniden Australia (Sydney).
                  >>
                  >> OB
                  >>
                  >> On 24 Dec 2013, at 05:13, <K4ADD@... <mailto:K4ADD@...>>
                  >> wrote:
                  >>

                  >>> I have no audio on my internal speaker on the 396XT.
                  >>> External speaker is extremely low at full volume. For 2 or
                  >>> 3 days before it quit, the audio sounded a bit distorted.
                  >>> Anyone have similar problems? Sending it to Uniden after
                  >>> Xmas, under warranty. Thanks gang. Ed
                  >>>

                  >> --
                  >> Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

                • Ronski45
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 24, 2013
                    Changing modulation will only change the volumes slightly, if your using the wrong modulation the audio is only going to change slightly but not completely cut out as was mentioned. This not a modulation issue.
                    See upman http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/144068-396t-vs-396xt-speaker.html#post1066999
                    "The audio level (volume) will be unbalanced. If the xmit is FM and you pick NFM, it will be too loud as compared to properly demodulated signals. If it is NFM and you pick FM, it won't be loud enough."

                    Wrong modulation wont make the speaker stop is all Im saying.
                    Ive programmed about 300 radios and am a database admin at radioreference.

                    Other thing is when the other faulty radios came to me they all said the same about static, missing audio at times before hand then nothing as was also mentioned originally .

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 24, 2013
                      And "slightly" exceeding the spec is all it takes to blow a speaker if
                      you are close to the limit to star with. Of course, "Slightly" in this
                      case is double the voltage which is what will happen if you monitor a FM
                      transmission in NFM or AUTO mode. It may not sound like much to your
                      ear, but it is greatly different to your speaker. And if the speaker is
                      rated at 5V (just picking numbers for this example), and the normal
                      maximum audio fed to it is 3V you will be fine, but doubling that means
                      you would be feeding 6V which can easily damage the speaker.

                      Nothing you said invalidates this technical example. I don't see what
                      programming knowledge or being a RR admin have to do with this. In fact,
                      there are lots of incorrect entries on RR for modulation, so I guess if
                      it comes down to an incorrect setting, and it was DLed from RR, that
                      could be a contributing factor. ;-)

                      But, it is a fact that choosing the wrong modulation COULD result in
                      higher-then-spec levels to the speaker, and it is a fact that
                      higher-then-spec levels could blow a speaker. Just ask anyone who
                      connected a 100W stereo up to a 50W speaker (or even a 60W stereo). It's
                      the exact same theory.

                      Bottom line is to program the correct modulation for the channel and you
                      should be able to avoid prolonged excessive levels. This is good
                      engineering practice, and I would hope you would agree.

                      Joe M.

                      Ronski45 wrote:

> [...]
                      > >>
                      > http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Replace_a_Blown_Speaker_in_the_396
                      > >> One thing I keep wondering on that is what holds in the speaker?
                      > >>
                      > >> And see all the others having the same problem -
                      > >>
                      > http://www.radioreference.com/apps/Search/?cx=014732645207632841850%3Afkjydvmuoq4&q=396+speaker+replacement+&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&cof=FORID%3A9&name=Search
                      >

                      > <http://www.radioreference.com/apps/Search/?cx=014732645207632841850%3Afkjydvmuoq4&q=396+speaker+replacement+&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&cof=FORID%3A9&name=Search>
                      > >>
                      > >> OB <ob1309@... <mailto:ob1309@...>> wrote:
                      > >>

                      > >> Had that happen twice on the speaker on the original unit and then
                      > >> the replacement one too. Third one is holding up nicely. All
                      > >> repaired under warranty by Uniden Australia (Sydney).
                      > >>
                      > >> OB

                      > >> --
                      > >> Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

                    • Ronski45
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 24, 2013
                        According to Uniden's manual on the 396XT, the audio output is 310 mW across a 24 ohm load. While the speaker is rated at 0.8 W, 24 ohm. So the unit's max output is 0.31 watts while the speaker should be able to handle 0.8 watts.
                        So your saying that the other. 49 watts or some 60% will be taken up by the modulation? No, the difference in audio is quite minor, I tried it here. Yes if one runs any component at full power for a long time will further stress a component, but its the high failure rates of speakers that these speakers just arent that great in quality.

                        Far as saying im a database guy, was just saying about having knowledge. Yes the database isnt perfect thats why we have admins to update it. Theres nothing official about it, its all user generated. If you see a problem, all be it modulation or otherwise , submit the correction is all.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 24, 2013
                          Well, if the voltage is doubled from incorrect modulation settings, then
                          the maximum would be 0.620W. Granted, that should not be enough to
                          damage the speaker, but it's still running a lot higher than it should
                          be. It could be that the speaker is over-rated and can only take 0.600W
                          which means the incorrect setting would exceed the maximum.

                          I'm surprised that the speaker is that over-rated. Typical design calls
                          for only a 50 percent over-rating while this speaker is better than 100%
                          over the design power. Maybe they did that to compensate for the issue
                          I've been talking about.

                          Regardless, my point stands - use the correct mode for the channel and
                          you will not run into over-voltage issues (over-voltage in terms of
                          being more than the designed maximum - 0.310W in this case).

                          Also granted there are more speaker issues than other issues, but there
                          are not THAT many speaker issues to be termed a "high failure rate" when
                          you consider the numbers that are working fine.

                          Joe M.

                          Ronski45 wrote:

> [...]
                          > > > now I'm on pins and needles hoping the speaker in my unit doesn't
                          > > take
                          > > > a dump on me
                          > > >
                          > > > Sent from my iPhone

                          > > Ive
                          > > that the
                          > and/or
                          > > >>

                          > http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Replace_a_Blown_Speaker_in_the_396

                          > http://www.radioreference.com/apps/Search/?cx=014732645207632841850%3Afkjydvmuoq4&q=396+speaker+replacement+&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&cof=FORID%3A9&name=Search
                          > >

                          > <http://www.radioreference.com/apps/Search/?cx=014732645207632841850%3Afkjydvmuoq4&q=396+speaker+replacement+&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&cof=FORID%3A9&name=Search>

                          > brevity.

                          > > 12/24/13 02:41:00
                          > > >

                          > > --
                          > > Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

                        • pdejonck
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 24, 2013
                            OR, it could just be a manufacturing defect or poor quality speaker.

                            Paul
                            WB6GHK

> [...]
                            > > > better speakers. I really like my scanner I purchased it back in
                            > > July so
                            > > > now I'm on pins and needles hoping the speaker in my unit doesn't
                            > > take
                            > > > a dump on me
                            > > >
                            > > > Sent from my iPhone

                            > > Ive
                            > > that the
                            > > >>
                            > > http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Replace_a_Blown_Speaker_in_the_396

                            > > http://www.radioreference.com/apps/Search/?cx=014732645207632841850%3Afkjydvmuoq4&q=396+speaker+replacement+&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&cof=FORID%3A9&name=Search
                            > >

                            > > <http://www.radioreference.com/apps/Search/?cx=014732645207632841850%3Afkjydvmuoq4&q=396+speaker+replacement+&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&cof=FORID%3A9&name=Search>

                            > > 12/24/13 02:41:00
                            > > >

                            > > --
                            > > Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

                          • Jeffry Rehm
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 24, 2013
                              I would like to add that knowing there is a high probability of a wrong modulation entered then Uniden should have made absolutley sure the speaker was good enough to handle that extra load. Just in case of accidental entry.

                              ------------------------------

                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 24, 2013
                                Ok come on, now your just making things up about the doubling to .62 lol (I did) and the over rated speaker, Omg hehe.
                                Im suprised you didnt mention tripling, I mean why not? Also you didn't mention about raising the volume to a +3 on individual freqs, channels!
                                Give the engineers at Uniden some credit since what we're talking about is such a basic electronics item. BTW I do have an electronics degree.

                                If Upman chimes in I'll take his word as gospel.
                                Far as the speaker specs, Im sure they just went with what was available at the time. Thats standard practice for projects to lower costs so they dont have to redesign manufacturing equipment to just make a special item.

                                I agree on your point that says about over driving the speaker, but in this particular case we are talking about it just doesn't apply.

                                Sure there are other issues, but in the 8 years I've been on radioreference forums and even more years on yahoo groups, speakers, its the one failure that clearly stands out and by far is the top issue, thats obvious if a search is done as well. This includes many years and hundreds of scanners Ive programmed over the last several years. To be fair I have seen one brand new 996XT and a 396T used off ebay both have bad circuit boards that jist plain didn't work. 996xt was under warranty and Uniden overnighted a new one to the guy and the 396T was sent for repair.

                                I'm sure your reply will try to contradict everything, but your modulation concern just doesnt apply in this instance.

                                Also this just doesn't help out very much the original reason for this thread.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 24, 2013
                                  Which would explain the 100% over-rating...

                                  Joe M.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 24, 2013
                                    You're right. There is no difference between FM and NFM. It's all just a marketing ploy. ;-)

                                    And why I didn't triple the figure is because double is the difference between NFM and FM if you believe there is any difference at all. Anyone who knows communications systems will tell you there is. Specifically, the deviation on FM is 5.0 kHz max while NFM is 2.5 kHz max. This translates into a higher recovered voltage at the discriminator which follows down the line to the speaker unless the level is adjusted which is what the mode setting on the scanner does. I'm simplifying this quite a bit but I'm sure some will just say I'm making this whole scheme up, so...

                                    The only reason the speaker issue stands out is because there really aren't any other issues to speak of. It's not as if the speaker issue is common but when it's the only significant issue it stands out like a black sheep among the white herd.

                                    As for not mentioning the +3 increase that's because the spec should take that into account. It would not take abnormal operating conditions into account however. Nevertheless using the volume offset on top of the wrong mode would just add to the likelihood of problems.  Every little bit can add up which, again, is my basic point.

                                    If you want to talk about common issues there are other models that have much more common failures - on the order of 10 to 20 times the speaker issue. I will admit that the speaker issue is the most often reported issue but I will not go so far as to say it's a common problem. The speaker jack issue is just as common but still isn't a common failure among units in the field.

                                    Merry Christmas.

                                    Joe M.

                                    On Dec 24, 2013, at 6:39 PM, Ronski45 <ronski45@...> wrote:

                                    Ok come on, now your just making things up about the doubling to .62 lol (I did) and the over rated speaker, Omg hehe.
                                    Im suprised you didnt mention tripling, I mean why not? Also you didn't mention about raising the e volume to a +3 on individual freqs, channels!

                                    Ronski45 wrote:

> [...]
                                    > > > now I'm on pins and needles hoping the speaker in my unit doesn't
                                    > > take
                                    > > > a dump on me
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Sent from my iPhone

                                    > > Ive
                                    > > that the
                                    > and/or
                                    > > >>

                                    > http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Replace_a_Blown_Speaker_in_the_396

                                    > http://www.radioreference.com/apps/Search/?cx=014732645207632841850%3Afkjydvmuoq4&q=396+speaker+replacement+&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&cof=FORID%3A9&name=Search
                                    > >

                                    > <http://www.radioreference.com/apps/Search/?cx=014732645207632841850%3Afkjydvmuoq4&q=396+speaker+replacement+&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&cof=FORID%3A9&name=Search>

                                    > brevity.

                                    > > 12/24/13 02:41:00
                                    > > >

                                    > > --
                                    > > Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

                                  • lamarrsy
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 24, 2013
                                      Hi,

                                      One factor to take into account with a speaker that is overrated vs the amp output power used to drive it, is the *distortion* generated by this arrangement: this distortion creates harmonics that can be outside the reproducing range of the speaker.

                                      -Sylvain, VE2LAM, via  iPhone

                                    • Mark Levine, D.C.
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 24, 2013
                                        Wasn't there also a situation where if you shorted part of the earphone to
                                        ground it blew the audio amp, or was that on the 396T?

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Dec 24, 2013
                                          Hey I remember distortion issues from when I was buying stereo gear when I was in high school. Trying to fit the right receiver/amplifier power to the correct set of speakers. Nearly all the salesmen would remind the buyers that distortion will kill a speaker faster than anything else. Just a thought. Glad I could remember that stuff. :)

                                          Merry Christmas