Illegal Voltage?

  • kwicker
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 10, 2013
      I get a message on the display that says Illegal Voltage when I plug in the car DC power supply that came with the scanner to the 396. The unit will not operate as long as the message is there. I tested the voltage on the connector and got 7.04 VDC with the tip positive. I have an older Radio Shack mobile DC power plug that will operate the 396 without the error message. It measures 6.94 VDC with the tip positive. The AC/DC power supply that came with the 396 measures 7.01 VDC with the tip positive. The display on the 396 indicates 4.01 to 4.03 volts with the two supplies that work. I'd like to use the power plug that came with the scanner. It's smaller, is fused, and has a red indicator light. What's up with the Illegal Voltage message? Thanks in advance for all input.
    • OB
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 10, 2013
        Amps is the killer...

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 10, 2013
          Sounds like your adapter went slightly out of tolerance for voltage.

          Joe M.

          kwicker wrote:
          > I get a message on the display that says Illegal Voltage when I plug in the car DC power supply that came with the scanner to the 396. The unit will not operate as long as the message is there. I tested the voltage on the connector and got 7.04 VDC with the tip positive. I have an older Radio Shack mobile DC power plug that will operate the 396 without the error message. It measures 6.94 VDC with the tip positive. The AC/DC power supply that came with the 396 measures 7.01 VDC with the tip positive. The display on the 396 indicates 4.01 to 4.03 volts with the two supplies that work. I'd like to use the power plug that came with the scanner. It's smaller, is fused, and has a red indicator light. What's up with the Illegal Voltage message? Thanks in advance for all input.
        • John Stark
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 11, 2013
            It is probably not putting out the proper voltage under load. Putting a meter on it with no load it may appear to be within spec but once you load it, it drops out of spec and can't supply proper voltage and current.

            kwicker wrote:
            > I get a message on the display that says Illegal Voltage when I plug in the car DC power supply that came with the scanner to the 396.  The unit will not operate as long as the message is there.  I tested the voltage on the connector and got 7.04 VDC with the tip positive.  I have an older Radio Shack mobile DC power plug that will operate the 396 without the error message.  It measures 6.94 VDC with the tip positive.  The AC/DC power supply that came with the 396 measures 7.01 VDC with the tip positive.  The display on the 396 indicates 4.01 to 4.03 volts with the two supplies that work.  I'd like to use the power plug that came with the scanner.  It's smaller, is fused, and has a red indicator light. What's up with the Illegal Voltage message?  Thanks in advance for all input.

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                BCD396XT-digest@yahoogroups.com
                BCD396XT-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          • kwicker
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 11, 2013
              The reason I didn't expect the current load is that with the scanner turned off, when I insert the DC power plug, the message "Illegal Voltage" comes up on the blank screen.

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 11, 2013
                Is that with the charging switch off? If not you still have the load of the cells.

                Joe M.

                On Dec 11, 2013, at 8:28 PM, "kwicker" <kwicker@...> wrote:

                > The reason I didn't expect the current load is that with the scanner turned off, when I insert the DC power plug, the message "Illegal Voltage" comes up on the blank screen.
                >

                > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "kwicker" <kwicker@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> I get a message on the display that says Illegal Voltage when I plug in the car DC power supply that came with the scanner to the 396. The unit will not operate as long as the message is there. I tested the voltage on the connector and got 7.04 VDC with the tip positive. I have an older Radio Shack mobile DC power plug that will operate the 396 without the error message. It measures 6.94 VDC with the tip positive. The AC/DC power supply that came with the 396 measures 7.01 VDC with the tip positive. The display on the 396 indicates 4.01 to 4.03 volts with the two supplies that work. I'd like to use the power plug that came with the scanner. It's smaller, is fused, and has a red indicator light. What's up with the Illegal Voltage message? Thanks in advance for all input.

                > Yahoo Groups Links

              • John Stark
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 11, 2013
                  Which is when the load would be the charge circuit

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 12, 2013
                    Thanks for those ideas, but I'm using alkaline batteries and the switch is in the "alkaline" position.