Stubby antenna for 800 MHz

  • n_one_one
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2013
      I'm a new 396XT owner, stumbled through programming, and am getting local agencies loud and clear with the standard included antenna. Since the reception is so good I see no need for a long 800 MHz antenna.

      Given the strong signal can I get by with a stubby?
      Any recommendations on which one?
      Thanks
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2013
        I usually use a stubby antenna on my XT. I've tried anything from the
        "Miracle Baby" antenna to a Racing Antenna sold at Radio Shack to a
        simple ethernet termination load. They all work about the same, and like
        your case, the signals of interest are strong enough to not need even
        the stock antenna. The stubby antennas make a good combination with the
        XT. The only downside is that you have to use the adapter if you use a
        stubby BNC antenna. But even that added it makes a nice stealthy
        combination.

        Of course, monitoring Low Band is a total write-off using the
        super-small antennas. Even the stock antennas don't perform well there.

        Joe M.

        n.one.one@... wrote:

        > I'm a new 396XT owner, stumbled through programming, and am getting
        > local agencies loud and clear with the standard included antenna. Since
        > the reception is so good I see no need for a long 800 MHz antenna.
        >
        > Given the strong signal can I get by with a stubby?
        > Any recommendations on which one?
        > Thanks

      • n_one_one
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2013

          Thanks for the information. You gave me the confidence to buy a very short (1.75") Diamond SRH-805 2M/440/1.2 Tri-Band HT. It seems to work just fine with the strong signals in my area. I really like the fact that it's SMA so it looks great on the 396XT.

          I went to Ham Radio Outlet in Atlanta and they let me do an A vs. B comparison with a slightly longer Diamond that is very bendable rubber. Even though it was longer it didn't seem to do as well. Sorry but I don't know that model number.