Where's Waldo?

  • williamhutton47
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 29, 2013
      Hello everyone,
      Thanks for all the great tips and advice I get off these pages, big help, many times. I guess I woke up one morning and thought I'd get into the radio hobby, but I didn't realize there was so much info about a scanner out there. I have read everything I can find and still don't really understand. I get the concept, but what I don't get is how the TGIDs work. I've found very little literature on it, and radio reference is a big help, but I just keep getting parts of transmissions and when the scanner hits and the TGID displays with the freq, etc. I don't hear anything. I'm programming by hand and messing up somewhere?? Any literature referals or video tutorials for the bcd396xt would be a huge help. computers and I don't get along well, and this ones a dinosaur so I cant hook the cable that came with the scanner to it. Thx
    • N1chu
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2013
        Hopefully you can find someone local who can computer program your radio. Check with the local FD for a fire buff or member who is well versed in this. That programming software is designed to eliminate the need to understand how a trunked system uses talk groups and manually program. For the guy who just wants the radio to perform as advertised without the needed learning curve.

        Bill
      • Uniden UPMan
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 30, 2013

          UpMan

          Thanks for all the great tips and advice I get off these pages, big help, many times. I guess I woke up one morning and thought I'd get into the radio hobby, but I didn't realize there was so much info about a scanner out there. I have read everything I can find and still don't really understand. I get the concept, but what I don't get is how the TGIDs work. I've found very little literature on it, and radio reference is a big help, but I just keep getting parts of transmissions and when the scanner hits and the TGID displays with the freq, etc. I don't hear anything. I'm programming by hand and messing up somewhere?? Any literature referals or video tutorials for the bcd396xt would be a huge help. computers and I don't get along well, and this ones a dinosaur so I cant hook the cable that came with the scanner to it. Thx

        • michael hutton
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 30, 2013
            Thanks. That was my first instinct, but I'm not one to be easily stumped, so now it's kind of a battle between good and evil, and it's actually pretty fun and interesting.(along with frusterating as well) I will have uit programmed by a computer asap, and for now it gives me something to learn about. I'm just missing so much, but I'll get there. Thanks for the help everyone

            UpMan