Public Safety Scanning

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 22, 2013
      Every so often my scanner starts scanning/searching the Public Safety band.
      I am sure I am some how starting it but more importantly I do not know how
      to stop it. I've tried going through the menu but nothing seems to work.
      Any help is greatly appreciated. I get a lot of the motorboating noise and
      it is very annoying. I do not want it to scan search the Public Safety band.
      I use FreeScan and have looked for a way to shut it off there but I have not
      been successful.

      Thanks in advance for your help.

      Mike
    • Guy Teague
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 22, 2013
        hammer.

        seriously, i've considered it more than once. [g]

        --
        There is only one God--His name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today'. Syrio Forel - A Game of Thrones  ~George R.R. Martin
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 22, 2013
          When it is searching the PS band, hit
          "FUNC L/O L/O" and it will lock it out.

          Joe M.

          Mike wrote:
          > Every so often my scanner starts scanning/searching the Public Safety band.
          > I am sure I am some how starting it but more importantly I do not know how
          > to stop it. I've tried going through the menu but nothing seems to work.
          > Any help is greatly appreciated. I get a lot of the motorboating noise and
          > it is very annoying. I do not want it to scan search the Public Safety band.
          > I use FreeScan and have looked for a way to shut it off there but I have not
          > been successful.
          >
          > Thanks in advance for your help.
          >
          > Mike

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 23, 2013
            Ah, a permanent lockout. Had not thought of that. I did L/O and Func + L/O
            and it still kept going.

            Thanks. Appreciate the help.

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 23, 2013
              Func L/O should have worked until you reset the power.

              Make sure you are on that search when you press FUNC.

              Joe M.

              Mike wrote:
              > Ah, a permanent lockout. Had not thought of that. I did L/O and Func + L/O
              > and it still kept going.
              >

              > Thanks. Appreciate the help.
              >

              > Mike

            • Ken Mohrhardt
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 23, 2013
                Thanks worked for me had same problem

                Sent from my iPad

                Mike wrote:
                > Ah, a permanent lockout. Had not thought of that. I did L/O and Func + L/O
                > and it still kept going.
                >

                > Thanks. Appreciate the help.
                >

                > Mike

              • Didit Pradipto
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 5, 2013
                  hi joe,
                  Refer to your reply, by doing what you have suggested: would it lock-out only one frequency at the time we hit L/O L/O, or will lock-out band (PS) where the frequency belong to?
                  thanks!
                  didit

                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 6, 2013
                    Just using the L/O button would lock out a single frequency (or TG).
                    FUNC before the L/O button would lock out the current System (or Search).

                    Joe M.

                    Didit Pradipto wrote:

                    > hi joe,
                    > Refer to your reply, by doing what you have suggested: would it lock-out
                    > only one frequency at the time we hit L/O L/O, or will lock-out band
                    > (PS) where the frequency belong to?
                    > thanks!
                    > didit
                    >

                    > MCH <mch@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > Func L/O should have worked until you reset the power.
                    >
                    > Make sure you are on that search when you press FUNC.
                    >
                    > Joe M.
                    >
                    > Mike wrote:
                    > > Ah, a permanent lockout. Had not thought of that. I did L/O and Func
                    > + L/O
                    > > and it still kept going.
                    > >

                    > > Thanks. Appreciate the help.
                    > >

                    > > Mike

                  • Doug Augelli
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 6, 2013
                      From the sound of it. have you checked to see if a "service search" is enabled? There is one for the PS bands

                      My Live Scanner Feed http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14870
                      My Live Weather Page: http://www.wirebridgeweather.com

                      > Mike wrote:

                      >> Every so often my scanner starts scanning/searching
                      the Public Safety

                      >> band.

                      >> I am sure I am some how starting it but more
                      importantly I do not know how

                      >> to stop it. I've tried going through the menu
                      but nothing seems to work.

                      >> Any help is greatly appreciated. I get a lot of the
                      motorboating noise and

                      >> it is very annoying. I do not want it to scan
                      search the Public Safety

                      >> band.

                      >> I use FreeScan and have looked for a way to shut it
                      off there but I have

                      >> not

                      >> been successful.

                      >> Thanks in advance for your help.

                      >> Mike

                      Release Date: 09/22/13

                      >> 13:13:00

                      Release Date: 09/22/13 13:13:00

                    • Kevin
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 6, 2013

                        I have done this but now it says that the Lockouts are full.  I can’t find in the manual what the maximum lockout is.

                        Mike wrote:

                        > Ah, a permanent lockout. Had not thought of that. I did L/O and Func + L/O
                        > and it still kept going.
                        >

                        > Thanks. Appreciate the help.
                        >

                        > Mike

                      • Doug Augelli
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 6, 2013
                          http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Freescan_Service_Search.
                          ..make sure you have it set to LO

                          To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Sunday, October 6, 2013, 2:31 PM

                          From the sound of it. have you checked to see if a
                          "service search" is enabled? There is one for the
                          PS bands

                          My Live Scanner Feed
                          http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14870

                          My Live Weather Page: http://www.wirebridgeweather.com

                          > Mike wrote:

                          >> Every so often my scanner starts
                          scanning/searching

                          the Public Safety

                          >> band.

                          >> I am sure I am some how starting it but more

                          importantly I do not know how

                          >> to stop it. I've tried going through the
                          menu

                          but nothing seems to work.

                          >> Any help is greatly appreciated. I get a lot of
                          the

                          motorboating noise and

                          >> it is very annoying. I do not want it to scan

                          search the Public Safety

                          >> band.

                          >> I use FreeScan and have looked for a way to shut
                          it

                          off there but I have

                          >> not

                          >> been successful.

                          >> Thanks in advance for your help.

                          >> Mike

                          -

                          Release Date: 09/22/13

                          >> 13:13:00

                          Release Date: 09/22/13 13:13:00

                        • Mike
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 6, 2013
                            I looked for that checkbox but it (FreeScan) had every other band but that.
                            That is why I asked for help.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 6, 2013
                              If you want to lockout the entire search, use FUNC L/O

                              You won't have enough room to lock out
                              every individual frequency in a search.

                              Joe M.

                              Kevin wrote:

                              > I have done this but now it says that the Lockouts are full. I can’t
                              > find in the manual what the maximum lockout is.

                            • Doug Augelli
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 6, 2013
                                it's the first on on the list, above News, in the Freescan Service tab

                                To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com

                                Date: Sunday, October 6, 2013, 3:05 PM

                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 6, 2013
                                  Thank you!

                                  Kevin wrote:

                                  > I have done this but now it says that the Lockouts are full. I can't
                                  > find in the manual what the maximum lockout is.

                                • Beauregard Waller
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 10, 2013
                                    I am missing something here, why would you use the L/O rather than turn off
                                    the service/channel??

                                    JohnW

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 10, 2013
                                      It's quicker and easier for effectively the same result.

                                      Joe M.