Good luck with Butel

  • RJH
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 20, 2013
      BCD396XT

      Hi,

      Sorry to hear about your problem. As Joe said it’s probably a driver issue. I say revert back to Win 7 for as long as you can. I am not a fan of Win 8, nor are most people.

      I have the HP-1 Butel software and the 396 T Version, both are the clunkiest software I have dealt with. Good luck with support. I have issues with the ARC Patrol they said they would fix and they never did.

      Scanner Master, which used to be a big proponent of Butel have kind of backed away from them, due to the lack of support. They are near me, so I go over there from time to time and they kind of chuckle about Gommert and Butel.

      Let me know how it goes.

      Ray

      2 New Messages

      Digest #1163

      1b

      Re: Problem with ARC XT software by "MCH" NCC74656_USS_Voyager

    • John Schneider
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 21, 2013
        Wow.

        I've had ARC software for my Uniden 780, 996T, 996XT, 396XT, Icom R-20, AOR AR-5000+3 and now the Home Patrol.  The only issue I've ever experienced was as a beta tester for the R20 and, of course, Gommert addressed it.  Always installed and ran without a hitch.

        I wonder how Scanner Master is going to react to your comment.

        John
        Sent from my iPad

[...]

      • Bill Lauchlan
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 21, 2013

          Seems odd that someone with 396T version of ARC which he describes as”…clunkiest software I have dealt with” would go ahead and get HP-1 Software from same vendor. And then whine about it also. Did you not learn from Einstein that you shouldn’t do that ?

          Bill L

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 23, 2013
            Posted this to RR forum, but would like more opinions. I recently
            noticed that my 396XT no longer hears New York State Electric & Gas
            (NYSEG). I see 3 or 4 bars on the signal strength indicator, so it is
            hearing the CC's. No problem hearing them on my HP-1, 996T or my PSR800.

            Two or three weeks ago, I noticed that the SMA connector was a bit
            loose. I have the proper tool for those nuts and snugged it up. Using
            ARC XT, I deleted the system, then imported it from Radio Reference.
            Still no joy. As per the suggestion from a RR member, I downloaded
            Freescan and tried again, without success.

            I finally decided to try my outdoor antenna. It's an Austin Ferret
            fed with LMR400UF into a Stridesburg Multi Coupler. VOILA!! now it was
            hearing NYSEG as it always did. Then I remembered the loose SMA connector.

            I opened up the scanner to take a look. With good lighting and
            plenty of magnification, I still couldn't see much, but didn't see
            anything obvious at the connector. I'm going to remove the SMA nut and
            that should let me separate the smaller PCB board from the larger one,
            and provide a clear view of the SMA connector and what it's connected
            to. Hopefully an easy fix and I can avoid a round trip to Texas. Sure
            hope it's not a cooked FET in the front end.

            Anyone ever experience a problem like this with a 396XT?

            Thanks,
            Bob Arenella
          • Robert Marshall
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 23, 2013
              If your outside antenna works fine then you should be looking at the antenna on the unit, since both signals went thru the same SMA connector.  Maybe you could borrow one to check it out before tearing into your radio.

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 23, 2013
                Unless the outside antenna is providing enough
                signal strength to overcome a damaged front end.

                I would start by testing the sensitivity
                if a signal generator is available.

                Also check the pin on the antenna (just in case).

                Joe M.

                Robert Marshall wrote:

                > If your outside antenna works fine then you should be looking at the
                > antenna on the unit, since both signals went thru the same SMA
                > connector. Maybe you could borrow one to check it out before tearing
                > into your radio.

              • N1chu
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 24, 2013
                  Sounds like you are on the right track. The soldered antenna connections should be inspected, but AFTER you have tried another portable antenna you know is good. No sense going to all the work of opening up the radio if not necessary. I have experienced this same problem but not on the 396XT. Worse comes to worse and you have to send it in, the repair price is not bad. They fix just about anything for a flat fee. All you have to do is resign yourself to the fact it will take a month or two turn around time. (I just got my HP1 back after a month and a half-had them put on a new front cover and straighten out the antenna connector plus check the radio as I didn't like the weaker reception when compared to the 396XT, thought there was something wrong. I suspect they did a re-alignment and set the selectivity differently than when new. Now I get a squeal on strong local stations sometimes. Haven't tried the antenuater yet... If fear if I turn it on it will attenuate all channels. I'm going to wait until UNIDEN comes out with a newer version of the HP1 before I send the current one in again.

                  Bill
                • Robert Arenella
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 25, 2013
                    After checking it on some local LE freqs, you may be right about
                    front end damage. I can hear the local PD signal, but they are only
                    about 3 miles from me & have a very strong sig level here. I can
                    sometimes hear them on my handi talkies without an antenna. I can't
                    hear the County Sheriff without the outside antenna and they are about 8
                    miles away.

                    I have at least 11 SMA antennas, and unless they are ALL bad,
                    it's either a lousy / bad connection or a smoked front end.

                    I use this portable about once a week, usually when we go out to
                    dinner. Pampered from day one, I'm not not exactly happy with this
                    situation. I have a Standard C558A Dual Band Handi Talkie (Purchased
                    new in the early 90's, $550) That still looks like new and works
                    perfectly, and it gets WAY more use than the scanner.

                    Bob Arenella