Problem with ARC XT software

  • Beauregard Waller
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 21, 2013

      A couple of years ago I bought the 396XT, plus ARC XT Pro software. It worked fine on my Win7 machine. I installed Win8 as soon as it came out, and the software stopped working , it could no longer locate my scanner. Everything worked fine on my Win7 Laptop, so I did not worry too much. I had heard about the chip issue. So, recently, I decided to get it to run off my Win8 machine.  I had bought it from Scannermaster, so I asked them about a cable. They told me about the new Uniden cable and I bought it, and plugged it in and installed the new driver. Things got weird.  ARC XT still could not find my scanner, so I uninstalled my driver and did a new install, just in case. No dice. So, I installed Freescan, and it worked fine. I installed Proscan, and it worked fine.

      So, why should Freescan and Proscan work fine but not ARC XT?????   I took another step into the Twilight Zone.  I ran ARC XT again to see if there were some settings I was missing, Again, it could not find my scanner.  While I was playing around with it something odd happened. I happened to click on the Scan button, and my scanner beeped, huh??? I clicked on another button, another beep. I pressed the Light button so I could see the display clearly as I pressed the button. When I pressed Scan, it started to scan. When I pressed Hold, it went into Hold mode.  Just for fun, I clicked Menu, and it went into Menu mode.

      It seems that I can send data TO the scanner, but not receive data FROM it. I can remotely control it, but I will not know what happens unless I look at the scanner as there is no feedback to the computer.  Does anyone have any idea what is going on?? Has anyone ever encountered this issue in this manner???  Since I have  paid for  this program, I want to see if I can get it to work before abandoning it for a program I KNOW works.

      Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, etc.

      Thanks,

      John Waller

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 21, 2013
        I can't say what is causing the issue, but I can say I've heard of the
        exact same thing from several people. I suspect it may be a driver/SW
        incompatibility issue, but I don't know for sure.

        Joe M.

        Beauregard Waller wrote:

        > A couple of years ago I bought the 396XT, plus ARC XT Pro software. It
        > worked fine on my Win7 machine. I installed Win8 as soon as it came out,
        > and the software stopped working , it could no longer locate my scanner.
        > Everything worked fine on my Win7 Laptop, so I did not worry too much. I
        > had heard about the chip issue. So, recently, I decided to get it to run
        > off my Win8 machine. I had bought it from Scannermaster, so I asked
        > them about a cable. They told me about the new Uniden cable and I bought
        > it, and plugged it in and installed the new driver. Things got weird.
        > ARC XT still could not find my scanner, so I uninstalled my driver and
        > did a new install, just in case. No dice. So, I installed Freescan, and
        > it worked fine. I installed Proscan, and it worked fine.
        >

        > So, why should Freescan and Proscan work fine but not ARC XT????? I
        > took another step into the Twilight Zone. I ran ARC XT again to see if
        > there were some settings I was missing, Again, it could not find my
        > scanner. While I was playing around with it something odd happened. I
        > happened to click on the Scan button, and my scanner beeped, huh??? I
        > clicked on another button, another beep. I pressed the Light button so I
        > could see the display clearly as I pressed the button. When I pressed
        > Scan, it started to scan. When I pressed Hold, it went into Hold mode.
        > Just for fun, I clicked Menu, and it went into Menu mode.
        >

        > It seems that I can send data TO the scanner, but not receive data FROM
        > it. I can remotely control it, but I will not know what happens unless I
        > look at the scanner as there is no feedback to the computer. Does
        > anyone have any idea what is going on?? Has anyone ever encountered this
        > issue in this manner??? Since I have paid for this program, I want to
        > see if I can get it to work before abandoning it for a program I KNOW works.
        >

        > Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, etc.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > John Waller

      • Robert Marshall
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 21, 2013
          I have the same problem with my windows 8 machine, the driver update is one issue, their software won't work on the new driver according to the email I got from arc tech support.  They also went on to say it wasn't their issue take it up with microsoft.  My guess is he stands about a 99.9% chance of being right, it is a microsoft issue but they should be working with microsoft to get it resolved not kicking it back to the paying customer to resolve.

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 21, 2013
              Can't answer your question but have one of my own... When I go to Radioreference to load anything the screen will pop up, I make my choices, and the screen reduces where I must enlarge it again. It's aggravating. Any fixes?
            • Rich.n9jig
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 21, 2013
                I had a similar issue. ARC-XT would not work with the USB-1 at all in Windows 8 but it worked fine in Windows 7. Weirdly, it worked with FreeScan though.  I got it to work with ARC by getting a new USB to serial adaptor and used the older serial cable to the radio.

                Gommert worked with me on this and it looks like there is a driver issue with the USB-1. While Windows 8 sees it and assigns a port number it doesn't become available to some applications.

                I was using a MS Surface Pro if it matters.

                Rich
                N9JIG

                Sent from my iPad

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 21, 2013

                  Are you talking about go there from a browser, or from within your scanner program???

                  JohnW

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 21, 2013
                    that didn't help on my windows 8, what is weird is it sees the usb cable but not the scanner.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 21, 2013
                      That usually means it's seeing the converter chip present,
                      but the chip is not correctly converting the data to serial.

                      This could be due to the driver or SW (both as I mentioned before), or
                      it could be due to the OS which someone had mentioned that Gommert said
                      the issue was (which is plausible).

                      But, I don't know why it would work with FreeScan if it's an OS issue.

                      Joe M.

                      Robert Marshall wrote:

                      > that didn't help on my windows 8, what is weird is it sees the usb cable
                      > but not the scanner.
                    • Beauregard Waller
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 22, 2013

                            Okay, the problem is fixed for now, I heard from Butel, and his solution is: turn off automatic driver updates, install an older drive. I did this and it is working fine now.  Whether having the driver updater off is going to create issues, I do not know.  I do  have a 3rd party program that updates drivers for me, so we will see : )   I will also continue to research Freescan and Proscan, and any others I may find, to see if there is one I would prefer over ARC XT.

                        Thanks for the help and advice….

                        JohnW

                        Robert Marshall wrote:

                        > that didn't help on my windows 8, what is weird is it sees the usb cable
                        > but not the scanner.

                      • N1chu
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 22, 2013