Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Volume Offset

  • Don.Curtis@att.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2008
      AGC is NOT AVC

      Audio AGC, while it attempts to adjust for varying levels of audio, by it's very nature, can't flatten everything out so it is all the same level. Besides getting pumping, you'll also get horrendous bursts of static as it pumps up the volume on quiet transmissions and shuts it down on louder transmissions.

      It can only analyze and adjust for averages....consider what would happen if every pause between words was detected as a 'quiet' audio portion and the volume was turned up...then 1/2 a second later, when the next word starts.....the detection was "loud" audio and turned the volume down.

      It's the nature of the beast....some sounds, systems, individual radios will be louder or softer than others. Audio AGC (or AVC if a true AVC circuit is in there) does the best it can, but it's based on averages, not instants in time.

      -------------- Original message from "bigfella237" <bigfella237@...>: --------------

      I can't speak for the other receivers but I have tried with Analogue
      AGC both on and off on my 396T and 996T's and it seems to make very
      little (if any) difference to those dispatchers and their droopy boom
      Mic's? You crank up the volume so you can hear them and the next mobile
      unit that TX's blows out your eardrums!

      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "kb1nvi" <kb1nvi@...> wrote:

      > While vulome offset will certainly be a useful feature, it doesn't
      seem
      > like it would help with the problem of analog systems with radios
      using
      > audio compression. The Radio Reference Wiki states that the the
      346XT,
      > 996T, 396T, and 396XT all have ANALOG AGC. Is this correct? If so,
      > does this fix the problem of low audio even with the volume turned
      way
      > up on analog systems using audio compression? This has become a real
      > problem in my area so if the Analog AGC mentioned in the RR Wiki is
      not
      > correct, is there any solution on the horizon?

    • kb1nvi
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2008
        I guess my question for Paul etc is that it doesn't seem like I run
        into the volume issue when using a commercial radio presumably
        because they are able to uncompress the compressed audio. So what is
        it the prevents Uniden etc from doing the same thing? Is it a cost
        issue?