best software for programming

  • munjaea7
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 5, 2013
      I have just ordered my BCD396xt and hope to have it Saturday. I figure it will be easier to program with software rather than the unit... ??? If there is a good free software that makes it easy please let me know. If not I will study the entries here on how to program them.
      thanks,
      Shannan
    • Uniden UPMan
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 6, 2013
        Here's a list. Some people like vanilla, some like strawberry. I like turtles.

        UpMan

        I have just ordered my BCD396xt and hope to have it Saturday. I figure it will be easier to program with software rather than the unit... ??? If there is a good free software that makes it easy please let me know. If not I will study the entries here on how to program them.
        thanks,
        Shannan
      • john szalay
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 6, 2013

          Using Freescan  works for me..

          your mileage may vary !

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 6, 2013
            UPMan gave you a great list of programming software choices. Just remember
            that if you choose free software, a donation
            is always welcomed by the author. Almost all of the programs have a free
            trial version so you can decide for yourself which
            you prefer.
            Also, remember that you just paid several hundred dollars for the scanner,
            so free software might not be the way to go if a paid
            software program suits you better.

            Clark

            At 07:05 PM 9/5/2013, you wrote:

            >I have just ordered my BCD396xt and hope to have it Saturday. I figure it
            >will be easier to program with software rather than the unit... ??? If
            >there is a good free software that makes it easy please let me know. If
            >not I will study the entries here on how to program them.
            >thanks,
            >Shannan
          • Jm Adams

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 6, 2013

                  UPman thanks for the link and suggestions... Clark, I agree. I bought my scanner about 100 less than they sell for and am ok with using the extra savings for good software. Alot of times there is free software for alot of things we buy so I thought maybe there might be for this too. This is a niche interest so that may not be the case here. I have found that I like the instructional videos on ARC XT I found on youtube. I will probably purchase that unless anyone has tried it and has something else they think is better or easier to use for the novice/new user... Once again, thanks for all the posts... Whatever I use I plan to post some youtube vids to show how to use and promote the product. Sorry I didn't post sooner, I think Yahoo groups were down for a while this afternoon...

                  At 10:16 AM 9/6/2013, you wrote:

                  I used ARC basic with my 296 and was quite happy so I went with ARC xt for my 396 am so far I'm not disappointed

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Sep 5, 2013, at 7:05 PM, <crosson1@...
                  > wrote:

                  I have just ordered my BCD396xt and hope to have it Saturday. I figure it will be easier to program with software rather than the unit... ??? If there is a good free software that makes it easy please let me know. If not I will study the entries here on how to program them.
                  thanks,
                  Shannan
                • Mike

                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 6, 2013
                      Can someone tell me if it is really worth the extra $ over freescan?

                      Also as a new BCD396XT user, I am having trouble decoding a lot of digital transmissions. For example, Westfield shopping centres in Melbourne Australia I can't seem to decode. Maybe they have a high level of security on their radios.

                      Regards,

                      Ben.

                      At 10:16 AM 9/6/2013, you wrote:

                      I used ARC basic with my 296 and was quite happy so I went with ARC xt for my 396 am so far I'm not disappointed

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On Sep 5, 2013, at 7:05 PM, <crosson1@... > wrote:

                      I have just ordered my BCD396xt and hope to have it Saturday. I figure it will be easier to program with software rather than the unit... ??? If there is a good free software that makes it easy please let me know. If not I will study the entries here on how to program them.
                      thanks,
                      Shannan

                    • KenBarnsda
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 7, 2013
                        Try freescan.... as it is free to try.

                        I used to use another one for another scanner but chose to stay with freescan and use the $$ for a donation and a year subscription to radio reference.  I would certainly recommend RR....especially if you are new to this.

                        Freescan imports directly with 2 choices.. analog or digital.  Both work fine.

                        Example... I am getting ready for a quick trip.  I was able to pull up freescan, login to RR through freescan... get the systems in the city I was going to visit...  upload to 396xt with its own quick key... pack scanner in under 5 minutes.

                        When I get home... I will just, via freescan, erase and reload my "daily use" load.

                        At the same time... I am always on the hunt for better software.  I liked the comment UPMan made.
                        For me... I like trying everything just for the fun of it.  I enjoy "finding" great programs.

                          Message 13 of 17 , Sep 7, 2013
                            That's like asking which truck is best for pulling. a trailer. You will get 50 different answers to that question. In reality the answer can only come from you not us.
                            BTW, my choice is Dodge...lol
                            And FreeScan for the scanner...

                            At 10:16 AM 9/6/2013, you wrote:

                            I used ARC basic with my 296 and was quite happy so I went with ARC xt for my 396 am so far I'm not disappointed

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            On Sep 5, 2013, at 7:05 PM, <crosson1@... > wrote:

                            I have just ordered my BCD396xt and hope to have it Saturday. I figure it will be easier to program with software rather than the unit... ??? If there is a good free software that makes it easy please let me know. If not I will study the entries here on how to program them.
                            thanks,
                            Shannan
                          • Kevin
                            Message 14 of 17 , Sep 7, 2013

                              I second Ken’s suggestion.  Just had issues with the Sacramento County radio system as there are limits to trunk groups on the scanner and their group has so many more.  Still trying to work it out.

                              Message 15 of 17 , Sep 7, 2013
                                On 8/09/13 7:57 AM, John Stark wrote:
                                That's like asking which truck is best for pulling. a trailer. You will get 50 different answers to that question. In reality the answer can only come from you not us.
                                BTW, my choice is Dodge...lol
                                And FreeScan for the scanner...
                                Agree on the concept, and down here there's a whole swag of trucks to choose from from all over the world! :)  As for scanners, I use Freescan, because I like it, it does what I need, and hasn't let me down.  I concur with everyone else's suggestions.  Try one (or better yet, both) of the programs suggested, weigh them up, see which one best meets your needs (features, cost, etc), and settle on that one.

                                --
                                73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
                                http://vkradio.com
                                Message 16 of 17 , Sep 9, 2013
                                  I use the Butel ARC software for all my scanners and have always received
                                  good support from them.

                                  boykin logo 5-15-13

                                  Boykin Roseborough

                                  4051 Florentine Road