Illegal Voltage

  • Jeffry Rehm
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 4 4:58 PM
      OK Here it goes. I received an "illegal voltage" message on my 396xt. Everything was working fine last night. I checked the lovely Uniden operators guide for the scanner and all it shows are the different messages on the screen when the batteries are used etc. However it does NOT tell you what to do when such a message appears.

      What am I supposed to check so I can fix my problem?

      Trying to determine if it is the charger or maybe the plug inside the scanner.

      Please help.

    • Jm Adams

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 4 7:28 PM
                On 9/4/2013 16:58, Jeffry Rehm wrote:
                OK Here it goes. I received an "illegal voltage" message on my 396xt. Everything was working fine last night. I checked the lovely Uniden operators guide for the scanner and all it shows are the different messages on the screen when the batteries are used etc. However it does NOT tell you what to do when such a message appears.

                Charging voltage wrong.

                --
                73
                -------------------------------------

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 4 8:58 PM
                  First, make sure you're using the correct charger.

                  Next, do you have any friends who have the same (or similar) unit whose
                  charger you could try on yours, or your charger on theirs? That would
                  tell you if it's the charger or the scanner.

                  I would suspect the charger, but also try it with and without the
                  batteries installed.

                  Joe M.

                  Jeffry Rehm wrote:

                  > OK Here it goes. I received an "illegal voltage" message on my 396xt.
                  > Everything was working fine last night. I checked the lovely Uniden
                  > operators guide for the scanner and all it shows are the different
                  > messages on the screen when the batteries are used etc. However it does
                  > NOT tell you what to do when such a message appears.
                  >
                  > What am I supposed to check so I can fix my problem?
                  >
                  > Trying to determine if it is the charger or maybe the plug inside the
                  > scanner.
                  >
                  > Please help.

                • Jeffry Rehm
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 5 2:53 AM
                    I have the correct charger. It is the original wall wart that came in the box. I travel a lot with it. I know someone who has a 396 (non xt) and I will try that charger to see what happens. And taking the batteries out will be on my list to do today. Thanks.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 5 3:02 AM
                      Anytime. I didn't mean to criticize about the charger.
                      Sometimes people do mix them up. But, yours could have gone bad.

                      It's easier to replace the charger than have the scanner repaired.

                      Sometimes it's dependent on where you have the
                      charger plugged in, too, such as in an inverter.

                      Joe M.

                      Jeffry Rehm wrote:

                      > I have the correct charger. It is the original wall wart that came in
                      > the box. I travel a lot with it. I know someone who has a 396 (non xt)
                      > and I will try that charger to see what happens. And taking the
                      > batteries out will be on my list to do today. Thanks.

                    • Jeffry Rehm
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 5 8:46 AM
                        No offense taken. I have checked with a 396 charger and it works fine. Gonna order up a new charger tonight after my 14hr shift on an ambulance. Thanks for the help.

                        Ps waiting patiently for some good news from Uniden. Well not so patiently.

                        ------------------------------
                        On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 5:02 AM CDT MCH wrote:

                        >Anytime. I didn't mean to criticize about the charger.
                        >Sometimes people do mix them up. But, yours could have gone bad.
                        >
                        >It's easier to replace the charger than have the scanner repaired.
                        >
                        >Sometimes it's dependent on where you have the
                        >charger plugged in, too, such as in an inverter.
                        >
                        >Joe M.
                        >
                        >Jeffry Rehm wrote:
                        >>

                        >> I have the correct charger. It is the original wall wart that came in
                        >> the box. I travel a lot with it. I know someone who has a 396 (non xt)
                        >> and I will try that charger to see what happens. And taking the
                        >> batteries out will be on my list to do today. Thanks.

                      • Gary Ross
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 6 8:55 AM
                          Every few weeks I also see the Illegal Voltage error my396XT using the factory supplied charger.
                          Unit is locked up until I pull the power plug and restart it.

                        • john szalay
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 6 9:37 AM
                            IMHO:

                            sounds as if you may need replace the charger,   components inside may be out of spec or breaking down.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 7 7:43 AM
                              My bad. I discovered I had connected a 500ma charger from my 246T scanner instead of the correct 800ma charger that shipped with the 396XT.
                              Sorry about that.
                              Gary

                            • Jm Adams
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 10 8:52 AM