Re: [BCD396XT] RE: cellular carriers are not ready to replace public safety radio

  • John Stark
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 28, 2013
      Not sure either..lol. but around here encryption is rare. A couple Indiana counties use it and one ISP unit south uses it but otherwise everything is pretty much in the clear. Locally the sheriff is anti encryption as he knows people like myself listen, and on occasion help them out. If we had encryption here I wouldn't have gotten a small town bank robbers description, a week later I saw a guy who matched it and called and it was him. Not too long ago the dispatchers were getting nervous when they couldn't hear an officer, but I heard him fine so told them they were OK and the rest of the traffic stop they listened to my scanner over the phone so they could hear the officer! Things have been tense here since a traffic stop last year when an officer ended up in a pursuit and was shot. He is back to work now, but that night everyone wondered if he would make it. Especially those of us who heard it all first hand. Add to it it was the second night in a row with officers shot in our rural area.

      Jm Adams <blastdad51@...> wrote:

      >Tony:
      >
      >Where is over here ? I'm in San Diego county, so far as I know law enforcement isn't encrypted here
      >
      >Sent from my iPhone
      >
      >On Aug 28, 2013, at 5:23 PM, Tony Langdon <vk3jed@...> wrote:
      >
      >> On 29/08/13 2:52 AM, Michael Hopkins wrote:
      >>>
      >>> With the advent of digital communications encryption becomes easier (a single chip) and is virtually unbreakable (unless, of course, you’re working for NSA!). Unfortunately for scanner enthusiasts, myself included, I think encrypted voice will likely become more common among law enforcement and fire departments as we move forward. Sorry about that…..
      >> Law enforcement, yes. Already seeing that trend over here. Fire? Not
      >> necessarily. In less populated areas, there is a lot of monitoring of
      >> fire frequencies by both the general public (including owners of private
      >> fire appliances) and volunteers, and this is seen as generally a good
      >> thing. Horses for courses.
      >>
      >> --
      >> 73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
      >> http://vkradio.com

    • Tony Langdon
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
        On 29/08/13 12:19 PM, Jm Adams wrote:
        > Tony:
        >
        > Where is over here ? I'm in San Diego county, so far as I know law enforcement isn't encrypted here
        I did send an obvious sign on the bottom of my message. :D I'm in
        Australia. In Melbourne, the police have been encrypted since 2006
        (their network was upgraded in time for the 2006 Commonwealth Games).
        The encryption hasn't spread to the rural areas yet, this far out of
        town they are still running analog FM.

        --
        73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
        http://vkradio.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
          At 02:37 PM 8/28/2013, John Stark wrote:

          >Mayor Ballard combined the police and sheriffs departments to save
          >$$ and it ended up costing millions more.

          John, my personal opinion is that political discussions have no place
          in a forum dedicated to a particular model of scanner.

          My opinions aside, your arguments would carry more weight if they
          were factual. The Indianapolis Police Department and Marion County
          Sheriff Department merger was approved by the City-County Council in
          2005 and occurred on January 1, 2007. Bart Peterson was Mayor then.

          Greg Ballard became Mayor on January 1, 2008.

          Bob...
        • John Stark
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
            That "obvious" sign is only good for hams it those who understand the call sign otherwise it wouldn't be that obvious...

            Tony Langdon <vk3jed@...> wrote:

            >On 29/08/13 12:19 PM, Jm Adams wrote:
            >> Tony:
            >>
            >> Where is over here ? I'm in San Diego county, so far as I know law enforcement isn't encrypted here
            >I did send an obvious sign on the bottom of my message. :D I'm in
            >Australia. In Melbourne, the police have been encrypted since 2006
            >(their network was upgraded in time for the 2006 Commonwealth Games).
            >The encryption hasn't spread to the rural areas yet, this far out of
            >town they are still running analog FM.
            >
            >--
            >73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
            >http://vkradio.com

          • Jm Adams
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
              Tony: I'm been missing signs since playing little league baseball in the 50s , I'll probably miss a few more before they shovel dirt in my face regards Bdad

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Aug 30, 2013, at 3:28 AM, Tony Langdon <vk3jed@...> wrote:

              > On 29/08/13 12:19 PM, Jm Adams wrote:
              >> Tony:
              >>
              >> Where is over here ? I'm in San Diego county, so far as I know law enforcement isn't encrypted here
              > I did send an obvious sign on the bottom of my message. :D I'm in
              > Australia. In Melbourne, the police have been encrypted since 2006
              > (their network was upgraded in time for the 2006 Commonwealth Games).
              > The encryption hasn't spread to the rural areas yet, this far out of
              > town they are still running analog FM.
              >
              > --
              > 73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
              > http://vkradio.com

            • Tony Langdon
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 31, 2013
                On 31/08/13 12:42 AM, John Stark wrote:
                > That "obvious" sign is only good for hams it those who understand the call sign otherwise it wouldn't be that obvious...
                Sorry, forgot which group I was in. This sort of discussion usually
                happens in another (ham) group :D

                --
                73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
                http://vkradio.com