cellular carriers are not ready to replace public safety radio

  • brey1234
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 25, 2013
      There are a number of reasons why smartphones and cellular carriers are
      not ready to replace public safety radio networks

      http://gcn.com/articles/2013/08/16/smartphones-cant-replace-police-radios.as
      px

    • John Stark
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 25, 2013
        The biggest reason is during an incident everyone goes to their phone and tie the networks up. Happens in every major incident and will continue to happen. The same happens on trunked radio systems too. During the week of the super bowl in Indy the phone and radio systems were both overloaded numerous times, it almost cost one man his life as EMS couldn't be called when hr had a heart attack. Someone finally got ahold of a trooper who was able to get on the statewide system and get help but even then the EMS crew couldn't get on the cities P25 system.

        worksntv@... wrote:

        >There are a number of reasons why smartphones and cellular carriers are
        >not ready to replace public safety radio networks
        >
        >http://gcn.com/articles/2013/08/16/smartphones-cant-replace-police-radios.as
        >px

      • Emmett Gulley
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 26, 2013
          Your report should show to the moronic ham radio operators that YES,
          encryption is needed so the agencies have that to fall back on. I have
          gotten sick and tired of everybody on RR stating that radio systems and
          cell networks won't fail.

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 26, 2013
            I shouldn't have to remind you, but flaming people will not be
            tolerated. I refer to your passage "the moronic ham radio operators".

            List Owner

            Emmett Gulley wrote:
            > Your report should show to the moronic ham radio operators that YES,
            > encryption is needed so the agencies have that to fall back on. I have
            > gotten sick and tired of everybody on RR stating that radio systems and
            > cell networks won't fail.
            >

            > On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM, John Stark <johnstark@...> wrote:
            >
            >> **
            >>

            >> The biggest reason is during an incident everyone goes to their phone and
            >> tie the networks up. Happens in every major incident and will continue to
            >> happen. The same happens on trunked radio systems too. During the week of
            >> the super bowl in Indy the phone and radio systems were both overloaded
            >> numerous times, it almost cost one man his life as EMS couldn't be called
            >> when hr had a heart attack. Someone finally got ahold of a trooper who was
            >> able to get on the statewide system and get help but even then the EMS crew
            >> couldn't get on the cities P25 system.
            >>
            >> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID
            >>

            >> worksntv@... wrote:
            >>
            >>> There are a number of reasons why smartphones and cellular carriers are
            >>> not ready to replace public safety radio networks
            >>>

            >> http://gcn.com/articles/2013/08/16/smartphones-cant-replace-police-radios.as
            >>> px

          • John Stark
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 26, 2013
              I'm curious how encryption or ham radio operators have anything to do with the conversation since neither are commented on previously. Seems that post was completely off topic...but then the thread was to begin with. However scanning during shore bowl week was interesting at times. One officer on a mutual aid channel said " well can't get on the system with the radio and can't use my cell either so I figured I'd try this channel. Problem was no one was monitoring that channel who could help him.
              Oddly enough a TV channel report on the super bowl week pointed out this radio and cell phone problem but they were left out of the cities report until brought up by the TV station and in a revised report these incidents suddenly appeared. Seems some things were left out by the department to make things sound better. Also missing was the destroyed police car at a concert. That too suddenly found its way into the revised report.

              MCH <mch@...> wrote:

              >I shouldn't have to remind you, but flaming people will not be
              >tolerated. I refer to your passage "the moronic ham radio operators".
              >
              >List Owner
              >
              >Emmett Gulley wrote:
              >> Your report should show to the moronic ham radio operators that YES,
              >> encryption is needed so the agencies have that to fall back on. I have
              >> gotten sick and tired of everybody on RR stating that radio systems and
              >> cell networks won't fail.
              >>

              >> On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM, John Stark <johnstark@...> wrote:
              >>
              >>> **
              >>>

              >>> The biggest reason is during an incident everyone goes to their phone and
              >>> tie the networks up. Happens in every major incident and will continue to
              >>> happen. The same happens on trunked radio systems too. During the week of
              >>> the super bowl in Indy the phone and radio systems were both overloaded
              >>> numerous times, it almost cost one man his life as EMS couldn't be called
              >>> when hr had a heart attack. Someone finally got ahold of a trooper who was
              >>> able to get on the statewide system and get help but even then the EMS crew
              >>> couldn't get on the cities P25 system.
              >>>
              >>> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

              >>> http://gcn.com/articles/2013/08/16/smartphones-cant-replace-police-radios.as

            • Robert Marshall
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 27, 2013
                encryption has nothing to do with channel availability.  Anybody that thinks the cells phones and radio channels don't get over loaded during major events either isn't paying attention or never been involved in a major event of any sort.  The cell phone channels get overloaded on mothers day to say nothing of floods, tornadoes, or hurricanes, all of which are sure to take down towers where they are most needed.

                ________________________________
                Your report should show to the moronic ham radio operators that YES,
                encryption is needed so the agencies have that to fall back on. I have
                gotten sick and tired of everybody on RR stating that radio systems and
                cell networks won't fail.

                On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM, John Stark <johnstark@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > The biggest reason is during an incident everyone goes to their phone and
                > tie the networks up. Happens in every major incident and will continue to
                > happen. The same happens on trunked radio systems too. During the week of
                > the super bowl in Indy the phone and radio systems were both overloaded
                > numerous times, it almost cost one man his life as EMS couldn't be called
                > when hr had a heart attack. Someone finally got ahold of a trooper who was
                > able to get on the statewide system and get help but even then the EMS crew
                > couldn't get on the cities P25 system.

                > worksntv@... wrote:
                >
                > >There are a number of reasons why smartphones and cellular carriers are
                > >not ready to replace public safety radio networks
                > >

                > http://gcn.com/articles/2013/08/16/smartphones-cant-replace-police-radios.as
                > >px

              • zavery1645
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 28, 2013
                  As a moronic ham radio operator
                  (KD0WBO) I have first hand knowledge about the way these systems work.
                  First of all encryption has nothing to do with channel availability as
                  previously stated. Second if you think public safety radios need
                  encryption you have another thing coming., By encrypting public safety
                  you are asking for major problems when things turn bad. In major events
                  its best to keep systems simple and adding encryption which is not
                  necessary for public safety your asking for failure. The system in
                  Indiana failed because of bad planing and infrastructure and there are
                  still may agency's that have yet to upgrade to the digital systems. When
                  all public safety systems fail and they will it will be the moronic ham radio operator that will come to save the day so don't rip on the ones that keep all these radio systems working.   --- In bcd396xt@yahoogroups.com, <scooterdog13@...> wrote: encryption has nothing to do with channel availability.  Anybody that thinks the cells phones and radio channels don't get over loaded during major events either isn't paying attention or never been involved in a major event of any sort.  The cell phone channels get overloaded on mothers day to say nothing of floods, tornadoes, or hurricanes, all of which are sure to take down towers where they are most needed.

                  ________________________________
                  Your report should show to the moronic ham radio operators that YES,
                  encryption is needed so the agencies have that to fall back on. I have
                  gotten sick and tired of everybody on RR stating that radio systems and
                  cell networks won't fail.

                  On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM, John Stark < johnstark@... > wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > The biggest reason is during an incident everyone goes to their phone and
                  > tie the networks up. Happens in every major incident and will continue to
                  > happen. The same happens on trunked radio systems too. During the week of
                  > the super bowl in Indy the phone and radio systems were both overloaded
                  > numerous times, it almost cost one man his life as EMS couldn't be called
                  > when hr had a heart attack. Someone finally got ahold of a trooper who was
                  > able to get on the statewide system and get help but even then the EMS crew
                  > couldn't get on the cities P25 system.

                  > worksntv@... wrote:
                  >
                  > >There are a number of reasons why smartphones and cellular carriers are
                  > >not ready to replace public safety radio networks
                  > >

                  > http://gcn.com/articles/2013/08/16/smartphones-cant-replace-police-radios.as
                  > >px

                • Michael Hopkins
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 28, 2013
                    First: I’ve been using scanners for many years and don’t want to see everything becoming encrypted; however:

                    Encryption for law enforcement has been around for a long time and in my experience, primarily used for special operations – I personally installed an analog voice scrambling systems for a NC State Police drug enforcement team in the 1970’s; MA State Police have encrypted channels, Coast Guard routinely uses encrypted transmissions for offshore operations on VHF Marine channels, encrypted ACARS transmissions from Aircraft are becoming more common in the US on VHF – and that’s only a small sampling.

                    With the advent of digital communications encryption becomes easier (a single chip) and is virtually unbreakable (unless, of course, you’re working for NSA!). Unfortunately for scanner enthusiasts, myself included, I think encrypted voice will likely become more common among law enforcement and fire departments as we move forward. Sorry about that…..

                    Mike Hopkins K1VLB

                    Mhopkins735@...

                    (KD0WBO) I have first hand knowledge about the way these systems work.
                    First of all encryption has nothing to do with channel availability as
                    previously stated. Second if you think public safety radios need
                    encryption you have another thing coming., By encrypting public safety
                    you are asking for major problems when things turn bad. In major events
                    its best to keep systems simple and adding encryption which is not
                    necessary for public safety your asking for failure. The system in
                    Indiana failed because of bad planing and infrastructure and there are
                    still may agency's that have yet to upgrade to the digital systems. When
                    all public safety systems fail and they will it will be the moronic ham radio operator that will come to save the day so don't rip on the ones that keep all these radio systems working. --- In bcd396xt@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bcd396xt%40yahoogroups.com> , <scooterdog13@...> wrote: encryption has nothing to do with channel availability. Anybody that thinks the cells phones and radio channels don't get over loaded during major events either isn't paying attention or never been involved in a major event of any sort. The cell phone channels get overloaded on mothers day to say nothing of floods, tornadoes, or hurricanes, all of which are sure to take down towers where they are most needed.

                    ________________________________
                    Your report should show to the moronic ham radio operators that YES,
                    encryption is needed so the agencies have that to fall back on. I have
                    gotten sick and tired of everybody on RR stating that radio systems and
                    cell networks won't fail.

                    On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM, John Stark < johnstark@... > wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > The biggest reason is during an incident everyone goes to their phone and
                    > tie the networks up. Happens in every major incident and will continue to
                    > happen. The same happens on trunked radio systems too. During the week of
                    > the super bowl in Indy the phone and radio systems were both overloaded
                    > numerous times, it almost cost one man his life as EMS couldn't be called
                    > when hr had a heart attack. Someone finally got ahold of a trooper who was
                    > able to get on the statewide system and get help but even then the EMS crew
                    > couldn't get on the cities P25 system.

                    > worksntv@... wrote:
                    >
                    > >There are a number of reasons why smartphones and cellular carriers are
                    > >not ready to replace public safety radio networks
                    > >

                    > http://gcn.com/articles/2013/08/16/smartphones-cant-replace-police-radios.as
                    > >px

                  • John Stark
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 28, 2013
                      The Indianapolis system failed because of too many people talking needlessly about useless stuff that had zilch to do with the events going on at the time. I know because I had 5 scanners scanning that one system when the guy had the heart attack and no one could get on the radio. At the same time no one could use their cell phones either because the systems were so tied up and that was with extra portable sites brought in just for the super bowl. Even the statewide radio system was at near capacity with its three Indy sites.
                      The city us known for bad planning, instead of making certain schools police and fire have what they need they throw $20,000,000 a year to the useless Pacers and have to lay off teachers close schools fire stations and not replace fire and police who retire or get arrested. Indy has had a dozen police officers arrested in the last two years for DUI! Even a couple firefighters too. Two police in the past two weeks arrested. No money to replace them, no new class of recruits will be ready until 2014. And they can't even pay to fix damaged police cars or replace worn out cars. Why? Poor leadership! Mayor Ballard combined the police and sheriffs departments to save $$ and it ended up costing millions more. Ballard wants the Pacers so HE can go to the games free, so the city dumps millions into a losing effort. Then Ballard decides in the midst of a lousy economy to try and host a super bowl. At the same time Motorola is pitting the screws to the city. The new radio system would cost millions more and be less than the contract called for. They ended up with a P25 system but instead of desperate sites as the contract called for Motorola talked them into a simulcast system. Worts thing they could have done! Now you just tied up the entire system. They kept the original systems number of channels but did add two X2 data channels for the MDT's. What's worse is the "backup" system is essentially the exact same system with a couple different sites and different frequencies! Effectively it is one system split in two. One used by public safety the other by public works. Coverage on system 2 as its known is even worse than system 1.
                      Add to it the city should have known the systems vulnerabilities long before the super bowl as they had "issues" long before that with normal events but ignored the warnings. The city was too busy wasting millions on useless projects for the super bowl to worry about radio problems. One project was to use a run down mall and turn it into a joint comm center for city, state and the feds during the super bowl. Between a 30 year lease and other costs or cost around a hundred million for that ONE item to be used rarely although one tiny section is now home to IMPD East District.... then there were $300,000,000 in other useless projects including shutting I70 down to plant trees so super bowl fans didn't see bare grass! Bad management? No question, in fact there is a serious lack of common sense in the city county building in Indy. It showed with the state fair collapse and the South Side explosion too. And yet today the mayor still refuses to admit there are radio issues or a crime issue either.....

                      zavery1645@... wrote:

                      >As a moronic ham radio operator
                      >(KD0WBO) I have first hand knowledge about the way these systems work.
                      >First of all encryption has nothing to do with channel availability as
                      >previously stated. Second if you think public safety radios need
                      >encryption you have another thing coming., By encrypting public safety
                      >you are asking for major problems when things turn bad. In major events
                      >its best to keep systems simple and adding encryption which is not
                      >necessary for public safety your asking for failure. The system in
                      >Indiana failed because of bad planing and infrastructure and there are
                      >still may agency's that have yet to upgrade to the digital systems. When
                      > all public safety systems fail and they will it will be the moronic ham radio operator that will come to save the day so don't rip on the ones that keep all these radio systems working.   --- In bcd396xt@yahoogroups.com, <scooterdog13@...> wrote: encryption has nothing to do with channel availability.  Anybody that thinks the cells phones and radio channels don't get over loaded during major events either isn't paying attention or never been involved in a major event of any sort.  The cell phone channels get overloaded on mothers day to say nothing of floods, tornadoes, or hurricanes, all of which are sure to take down towers where they are most needed.
                      >

                      >________________________________

                    • Tony Langdon
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 28, 2013
                        On 29/08/13 2:52 AM, Michael Hopkins wrote:

                        > With the advent of digital communications encryption becomes easier (a single chip) and is virtually unbreakable (unless, of course, you’re working for NSA!). Unfortunately for scanner enthusiasts, myself included, I think encrypted voice will likely become more common among law enforcement and fire departments as we move forward. Sorry about that…..
                        Law enforcement, yes. Already seeing that trend over here. Fire? Not
                        necessarily. In less populated areas, there is a lot of monitoring of
                        fire frequencies by both the general public (including owners of private
                        fire appliances) and volunteers, and this is seen as generally a good
                        thing. Horses for courses.

                        --
                        73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
                        http://vkradio.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 28, 2013
                          Tony:

                          Where is over here ? I'm in San Diego county, so far as I know law enforcement isn't encrypted here

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          On Aug 28, 2013, at 5:23 PM, Tony Langdon <vk3jed@...> wrote:

                          > On 29/08/13 2:52 AM, Michael Hopkins wrote:
                          >>
                          >> With the advent of digital communications encryption becomes easier (a single chip) and is virtually unbreakable (unless, of course, you’re working for NSA!). Unfortunately for scanner enthusiasts, myself included, I think encrypted voice will likely become more common among law enforcement and fire departments as we move forward. Sorry about that…..
                          > Law enforcement, yes. Already seeing that trend over here. Fire? Not
                          > necessarily. In less populated areas, there is a lot of monitoring of
                          > fire frequencies by both the general public (including owners of private
                          > fire appliances) and volunteers, and this is seen as generally a good
                          > thing. Horses for courses.
                          >
                          > --
                          > 73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
                          > http://vkradio.com

                        • John Stark
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 28, 2013
                            Not sure either..lol. but around here encryption is rare. A couple Indiana counties use it and one ISP unit south uses it but otherwise everything is pretty much in the clear. Locally the sheriff is anti encryption as he knows people like myself listen, and on occasion help them out. If we had encryption here I wouldn't have gotten a small town bank robbers description, a week later I saw a guy who matched it and called and it was him. Not too long ago the dispatchers were getting nervous when they couldn't hear an officer, but I heard him fine so told them they were OK and the rest of the traffic stop they listened to my scanner over the phone so they could hear the officer! Things have been tense here since a traffic stop last year when an officer ended up in a pursuit and was shot. He is back to work now, but that night everyone wondered if he would make it. Especially those of us who heard it all first hand. Add to it it was the second night in a row with officers shot in our rural area.

                            Jm Adams <blastdad51@...> wrote:

                            >Tony:
                            >
                            >Where is over here ? I'm in San Diego county, so far as I know law enforcement isn't encrypted here
                            >
                            >Sent from my iPhone
                            >
                            >On Aug 28, 2013, at 5:23 PM, Tony Langdon <vk3jed@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> On 29/08/13 2:52 AM, Michael Hopkins wrote:
                            >>>
                            >>> With the advent of digital communications encryption becomes easier (a single chip) and is virtually unbreakable (unless, of course, you’re working for NSA!). Unfortunately for scanner enthusiasts, myself included, I think encrypted voice will likely become more common among law enforcement and fire departments as we move forward. Sorry about that…..
                            >> Law enforcement, yes. Already seeing that trend over here. Fire? Not
                            >> necessarily. In less populated areas, there is a lot of monitoring of
                            >> fire frequencies by both the general public (including owners of private
                            >> fire appliances) and volunteers, and this is seen as generally a good
                            >> thing. Horses for courses.
                            >>
                            >> --
                            >> 73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
                            >> http://vkradio.com

                          • Tony Langdon
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
                              On 29/08/13 12:19 PM, Jm Adams wrote:
                              > Tony:
                              >
                              > Where is over here ? I'm in San Diego county, so far as I know law enforcement isn't encrypted here
                              I did send an obvious sign on the bottom of my message. :D I'm in
                              Australia. In Melbourne, the police have been encrypted since 2006
                              (their network was upgraded in time for the 2006 Commonwealth Games).
                              The encryption hasn't spread to the rural areas yet, this far out of
                              town they are still running analog FM.

                              --
                              73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
                              http://vkradio.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
                                At 02:37 PM 8/28/2013, John Stark wrote:

                                >Mayor Ballard combined the police and sheriffs departments to save
                                >$$ and it ended up costing millions more.

                                John, my personal opinion is that political discussions have no place
                                in a forum dedicated to a particular model of scanner.

                                My opinions aside, your arguments would carry more weight if they
                                were factual. The Indianapolis Police Department and Marion County
                                Sheriff Department merger was approved by the City-County Council in
                                2005 and occurred on January 1, 2007. Bart Peterson was Mayor then.

                                Greg Ballard became Mayor on January 1, 2008.

                                Bob...
                              • John Stark
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
                                  That "obvious" sign is only good for hams it those who understand the call sign otherwise it wouldn't be that obvious...

                                  Tony Langdon <vk3jed@...> wrote:

                                  >On 29/08/13 12:19 PM, Jm Adams wrote:
                                  >> Tony:
                                  >>
                                  >> Where is over here ? I'm in San Diego county, so far as I know law enforcement isn't encrypted here
                                  >I did send an obvious sign on the bottom of my message. :D I'm in
                                  >Australia. In Melbourne, the police have been encrypted since 2006
                                  >(their network was upgraded in time for the 2006 Commonwealth Games).
                                  >The encryption hasn't spread to the rural areas yet, this far out of
                                  >town they are still running analog FM.
                                  >
                                  >--
                                  >73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
                                  >http://vkradio.com

                                • Jm Adams
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
                                    Tony: I'm been missing signs since playing little league baseball in the 50s , I'll probably miss a few more before they shovel dirt in my face regards Bdad

                                    Sent from my iPhone

                                    On Aug 30, 2013, at 3:28 AM, Tony Langdon <vk3jed@...> wrote:

                                    > On 29/08/13 12:19 PM, Jm Adams wrote:
                                    >> Tony:
                                    >>
                                    >> Where is over here ? I'm in San Diego county, so far as I know law enforcement isn't encrypted here
                                    > I did send an obvious sign on the bottom of my message. :D I'm in
                                    > Australia. In Melbourne, the police have been encrypted since 2006
                                    > (their network was upgraded in time for the 2006 Commonwealth Games).
                                    > The encryption hasn't spread to the rural areas yet, this far out of
                                    > town they are still running analog FM.
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > 73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
                                    > http://vkradio.com

                                  • Tony Langdon
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 31, 2013
                                      On 31/08/13 12:42 AM, John Stark wrote:
                                      > That "obvious" sign is only good for hams it those who understand the call sign otherwise it wouldn't be that obvious...
                                      Sorry, forgot which group I was in. This sort of discussion usually
                                      happens in another (ham) group :D

                                      --
                                      73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
                                      http://vkradio.com