Re: [BCD396XT] paul, i admit defeat ...

  • David Johnson
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 24, 2013
      Sorry, but every scanner I've ever owned had this feature. On the
      Uniden Bearcat 100XLT you pressed scan then typed the frequency and
      pressed enter. On the AOR 8000XLT you pressed VFO then typed the
      frequency and pressed enter.
      Pressing Hold is not intuitive, because you think of it as a toggle,
      you worry that when you press it a second time, you will lose the
      frequency you just typed, and it will resume doing what it was doing
      before.
      A better (but slower) method would be to have a menu item called
      "SINGLE FREQUENCY", which when selected would prompt you for the
      frequency, then you would press yes.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 25/08/2013, at 3:38, MCH <mch@...> wrote:

      > Keep in mind that this "basic function" was non-existent until the DMA
      > scanners in the Uniden world. Scanners traditionally had no VFO (which
      > is the basic function I believe you are talking about). In fact, no
      > commercial radio has this "basic function" either. Pretty much only ham
      > radios have had it. And I understand your view coming from the ham
      > world, but what is basic to hams is not basic to anyone else.
      >
      > So, they ADDED the "VFO" feature, but how? Well, you can't hit
      > FREQ-ENTER because that enters a frequency. That leaves the following
      > keys: MENU, FUNC, SCAN, L/O, and HOLD. Of those which is the most
      > logical? You want to HOLD on a single frequency, so it's FREQ-HOLD.
      > And BTW MENU is used for the Number Tag keys and SCAN scans and L/O
      > clears, so there weren't many options available.
      >
      > I don't see how it could have been made more simple without adding
      > another button just for that feature.
      >
      > But again, be thankful the scanner has that feature at all, as it was
      > not historically a common scanner feature.
      >
      > Joe M.
      >
      > Guy Teague wrote:
      >> well, the bottom line here is that, for a short period of time, i needed my
      >> radio to perform the single basic function that even the most basic radio
      >> is designed to do--receive a single frequency.

    • Jeffry Rehm
      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 25, 2013
        Very cool idea. Thinking outside the box is sometimes productive. Kind of like listening in on an older analog trunking system on a non trunk tracker scanner. Just throw in the frequencies and listen. And to find out you get, for the most part, better/farther reception. Cool.