Re: paul, i admit defeat ...

  • Mike F.
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 24, 2013
      Not trying to pile on, but I have to agree with the OP. I think Uniden has
      tried very hard to provide a useable interface between the newer, highly
      complex public communications systems and those of us wishing to listen to
      them - but that interface, in the case of the 396, just doesn't cut it.
      I've owned and used scanners since the early '70's and spent 27 years in IT
      as a developer and manager of developers, and I rarely turn on my 396
      because it just isn't worth the trouble. I'm sure that if you have hours
      and hours to spend not only learning it, but also to continue working with
      it constantly so as not to forget the countless unintuitive keystroke
      combinations that you have to know in order to actually *use* the radio,
      then it's a miracle of modern engineering. For those of us who don't
      listen "professionally," it's just not practical. I have software and I
      don't mind using it; I don't know how anyone could attempt to own a scanner
      today and not use software. BUT, I should also be able to add a TG or
      modify an existing setting in the field without fear of doing something
      wrong unintentionally.

      I love the fact that Uniden has continued to build scanners when most of
      the market has disappeared, and I applaud them - seriously - for attempting
      to give us a radio that can keep up with the systems being deployed today.
      The economics of doing that have got to be difficult. I *want* the next
      Uniden scanner, whatever it might be. I don't want a Home Patrol that
      takes away my ability to have full control over the radio, but I do want a
      handheld with enough buttons and enough meaningful labels to make it
      useable when I might not have touched it for 6 months. I believe that will
      only happen if Uniden gets more end users involved during UI development,
      rather than limiting it to the few people who work with this stuff all day,
      every day.

      Mike, KC0KBC

    • Jeffry Rehm
      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 25, 2013
        Very cool idea. Thinking outside the box is sometimes productive. Kind of like listening in on an older analog trunking system on a non trunk tracker scanner. Just throw in the frequencies and listen. And to find out you get, for the most part, better/farther reception. Cool.