Re: [BCD396XT] paul, i admit defeat ...

    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 24, 2013
      Really, the only thing different about DMA is that you have to remember
      before you program a channel you have to create a System for it, a Group
      for it, and create the Channel. Everything else is much easier than the
      old "function key combination" since the DMA scanners are menu driven.

      Joe M.

      John Stark wrote:
      > I have used or owned about every programmable scanner made. Much of the programming is common sense and some learning of tricks etc. I myself rarely even look at a manual for a new scanner as basic programming doesn't really change all that much. Banks or DMA doesn't really matter on memory type. For other functions I can usually figure them out just by the menu and the keys and their use. Sometimes I forget which scanner I'm using and a function and a key press might do different things from one model to another like the 396T and XT (I have both and use them 24/7). It really IS easy but you need to play and learn. I usually tell people who buy a new scanner to read the manual three or four times and start off programming a few conventional channels then a trunked system. You really don't have to remember everything as 99% of what you need to do us through menus or the function button and the keypad or just the keypad. So yes it is easy......

    • Jeffry Rehm
      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 25, 2013
        Very cool idea. Thinking outside the box is sometimes productive. Kind of like listening in on an older analog trunking system on a non trunk tracker scanner. Just throw in the frequencies and listen. And to find out you get, for the most part, better/farther reception. Cool.