Re: [BCD396XT] paul, i admit defeat ...

    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 24, 2013
      You could read it in the manual.

      You could also read the "escape" key is the lockout button.
      (at least in any menu items)

      Joe M.

      Guy Teague wrote:
      > now see--a prime example of what i'm saying.
      >
      > be honest, if you didn't already have that memorized, how likely would you
      > be to guess it?
      >
      > i suspect that most could guess you need to hit /hold/ to stop scanning,
      > but to hit /hold/ again to /enter/ the data input? who could guess that?
      > ever?
      >
      > since the dawn of the digital age it's been 1) input/display the data, 2)
      > enter it into a working register. and what makes it worst is that the
      > scanner actually has an /enter/ key.
      >
      > i suspect that if you gave your scanner to 100 semi-electronically-literate
      > people approximately 75 (or more) of them would hit the /enter/ key. 23 of
      > them would have given up because they didn't know you had to /hold/ the
      > scan, and the last two would simply have dropped your scanner in a mud
      > puddle and walked off fuming. [g]
      >
      > and also /scan/ won't get you back to scanning in all cases. as mike
      > pointed out, you can easily get lost in some menu structure and there's no
      > /escape/ key that works consistently, imo most likely the single feature
      > most needed.
      >
      > /guy

    • Jeffry Rehm
      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 25, 2013
        Very cool idea. Thinking outside the box is sometimes productive. Kind of like listening in on an older analog trunking system on a non trunk tracker scanner. Just throw in the frequencies and listen. And to find out you get, for the most part, better/farther reception. Cool.