Re: paul, i admit defeat ...

  • KenBarnsda
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 23, 2013
      IMHO... My 3 cents.  The scanner is brutal.  I could have never made it without Paul and Free Scan.

      The only thing I can compare it to is in another life.... breaking apart my first SNA data stream.  How could 2 small lines of code have so much information contained in them?  However, a programmer from Sweden, making 4 times my salary, could
      find errors as fast as his finger would slide over the printout.  After I bled for 6 hours, I could request him to help me.. and 5 minutes later.. I had the answer.  I did drink a lot back then.

      So what...  The scanner is absurdly easy... once you get how it works straight in your head.
      It does suffer greatly, in my opinion, from lack of a sensitive technical writer.
      What it lacks is one thing... it is not intuitive.  It is a brick when you first open the package.
      For me.. it was still a brick 3 days later.

      Even windows, in their arrogance, allows you to drop back to a familiar menu system when they
      introduce a new version.

      I was brought into IBM corporate, in Atlanta, to teach the executives DOS.   I still remember the
      comments of one of the chaps... " you mean people are really buying  this crap".  It was really funny to me.
      How could sub-directories be so hard to understand?  It threw many of these 6 figure income people
      so it was not a case of lack of smarts.  It just broke their paradigm. They were also angry at having
      to "learn" about the product that was destined to make history.

      OK... so what could Uniden have done?  Many things... but no need to mention the obvious.
      SO.. what could Uniden do now?

      How about a decent technical manual... hell, even charge for it.  I would have bought it.
      I paid an extra $100 for the Home  Patrol  after I forked out a fortune for it.
      I never complained although many did.  It was a great feature set.  You want it.. fork out the $$.

      A video course, with examples, with decent sound and clear video would sell.
      Take a simple system... start from scratch...  Keep the new terms consistent across the videos.

      IBM used to make a lot of money teaching its sales force to consistently answer a simple
      question... "so what"... as they explained the merits of their systems.  Use this same approach
      when explaining the scanner.  There are pages of features but virtually no "so what's".

      I have started several times, just for the fun of it, to put together a  good study guide with videos.
      The 396 is at the end of its life cycle so why bother...

      I wonder if the new one is going to be a mixture of the Home Patrol  combined with the flexibility
      of the396.   I totally love the features of the 396 so I just sold my  Home Patrol last week while I could
      still get some money for it.  Even it could be improved upon.

      It does hurt to fork out $400 or so bucks and not get a good "first experience".
      SO many ways that could be remedied.
      Work a deal with a free 30 days with RR.   A little script and you are up and running.

      I don't feel I can complain as I learned to work with debug and edlin just fine.
      I also liked word star... it worked.  I resisted Windows.  I liked setting jumpers
      and addresses...and it made me scads of easy money.  Those guys are
      out of business now.  SO... why should Uniden change.  They have little competition.

      I feel really sorry for the Mr. Opitz (spelling?) chap.  He must enjoy his work.
      I would not have the patience he has...
      My mantra would be bleed and read.  Everyone else has.
      Oh well...   thanks to the people who answered my stupid questions.
      And yes.. I am still bleeding with the 396.

    • Jeffry Rehm
      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 25, 2013
        Very cool idea. Thinking outside the box is sometimes productive. Kind of like listening in on an older analog trunking system on a non trunk tracker scanner. Just throw in the frequencies and listen. And to find out you get, for the most part, better/farther reception. Cool.