Re: [BCD396XT] Feature request

  • dmascanning@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 3, 2009
      I thought I proofed this...

      The second line should read:
      That way if you bumped it accidentally the system would not be locked out permanently but you could lock out a channel that is problematic in a given location.

      Don, KE4JD

    • Uniden UPMan
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 3, 2009
        Try "Keysafe" mode, instead. It disallows permanent lockout.
        (FUNC while powering on the scanner).
         UPMan

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 3, 2009
          Cool. I'll try that.

          Thanks,
          Don, KE4JD
          -------------- Original message from Uniden UPMan <uniden.upman@...>: --------------

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 3, 2009
            Thanks Paul, that will help me out a bit.

            Actually, using the Startup Keys is what prompted me to ask this. I decided to give the Startup Key feature a try, although I never used it on my 996's.

            Let's say I have 30 systems programmed into my scanner. I normally scan about 8 of them. At times I only want to monitor one single system. So I give this system a Startup Key of "1". All other systems I give a Startup Key of "0". Now, when I power up the scanner while holding the "1" key, the one system I'm interested in comes on, all the others are locked out. This is exactly what I want. The problem is, when I turn the scanner off, and turn it back on again without holding any Startup Key, it is still scanning that same single system. I ASSumed it would revert back to the state it was in before activating the Startup Key. Now, all of my other systems are locked out, and I have to go back and manually unlock them when I want to resume scanning my 4 "usual" systems. Yes, I could hold the "0" key and thus unlock all of them, but that's not what I want either. And apparently you can't have overlapping systems with more than one Startup Key. Is this scenario accurate, or am I overlooking something? Suggestions?

            Ken

            ..
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 3, 2009
              If you are really wanting to just hold on and scan a single system, while on that system press HOLD for 2 seconds. It will flash HOLD in the display and scan that one system until you release it by pressing HOLD for 2 seconds again.

              Your description of SK's is accurate. SKs are exclusive (can't  be combined or overlap).
               UPMan

              ________________________________

              ____________ _________ _________ __

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 3, 2009
                Thanks for the help, that sounds like a plan!

                Ken

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 3, 2009
                  I tried this and it works pretty well. The problem with it is that the
                  numbers 0-9 still work. I have my personal scanner on me up to 12 hours per
                  day. During that time I may be driving or crawling around on the floor (we
                  do a lot of that in the broadcast engineering business). With the temporary
                  lockout, if you turn the scanner off and back on the temporarily L/Oed
                  channel is restored but if you bump a numeric key and disable a SQK that SQK
                  is not restored by powering the radio down and back up.

                  Still a really nice feature though.

                  Thanks,
                  Don, KE4JD

                  _____