USB to Scanner Cable

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 15, 2013
      I just bought a new computer and do not have a serial port. I looked through
      the archives for a good USB-to-scanner cable and received 6 messages. They
      all had to do with the Uniden USB-1 cable. I am hesitant to buy that cable
      because of the high price ($30) and it may not work with Win8. I do not know
      if they got the new batch of units in.

      Does anyone know of another place to get a useable unit? I am hesitant to go
      to Amazon because of the same issue, it may not work. Has anyone got a
      working unit recently and has a URL to the unit?

      Thank you.

      Mike
    • tbierney
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 15, 2013
        I know how you feel.
        I just bought 2 from Amazon with free shipping.
        Both worked fine on my 396T & 996T.
        Installation was easy on My Vista box & Win7 laptop.
        Used the CD that came with them for Vista & just plugged one into
        the Win 7 and it went to the manufacturer's site & got the latest driver.

        "Thanks for choosing the Plugable PL2303-DB9 serial adapter!
        For up to date driver and product information, visit http://plugable.com/drivers/prolific"

        Kevin Phx Az

        > I just bought a new computer and do not have a serial port.
      • sean.flaherty
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 16, 2013
          I purchased a "TRENDnet USB to RS-232 Serial Converter TU-S9 (White)" from Amazon and it worked fine with my new BCD396XT. I have Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. CAREFULLY follow the included installation instructions. Basically you have to install drivers for the adapter, and then connect the scanner.

          Sean

          --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <scannerman@...> wrote:

          > I just bought a new computer and do not have a serial port. I looked through
          > the archives for a good USB-to-scanner cable and received 6 messages. They
          > all had to do with the Uniden USB-1 cable. I am hesitant to buy that cable
          > because of the high price ($30) and it may not work with Win8. I do not know
          > if they got the new batch of units in.
          >
          > Does anyone know of another place to get a useable unit? I am hesitant to go
          > to Amazon because of the same issue, it may not work. Has anyone got a
          > working unit recently and has a URL to the unit?
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          > Mike

        • Clark Rennie
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 16, 2013
            The original poster was more concerned about the USB-1 cable working with
            Windows 8, rather than Windows 7.

            Clark

            At 06:07 AM 8/16/2013, you wrote:

            >I purchased a "TRENDnet USB to RS-232 Serial Converter TU-S9 (White)" from
            >Amazon and it worked fine with my new BCD396XT. I have Windows 7 Pro
            >64-bit. CAREFULLY follow the included installation
            >instructions. Basically you have to install drivers for the adapter, and
            >then connect the scanner.
            >
            >Sean
            >
            >--- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <scannerman@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I just bought a new computer and do not have a serial port. I looked
            > through
            > > the archives for a good USB-to-scanner cable and received 6 messages. They
            > > all had to do with the Uniden USB-1 cable. I am hesitant to buy that cable
            > > because of the high price ($30) and it may not work with Win8. I do not
            > know
            > > if they got the new batch of units in.
            > >
            > > Does anyone know of another place to get a useable unit? I am hesitant
            > to go
            > > to Amazon because of the same issue, it may not work. Has anyone got a
            > > working unit recently and has a URL to the unit?
            > >
            > > Thank you.
            > >
            > > Mike
          • Clark Rennie
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 16, 2013
              Go here for USB to Serial adapter ($12.95) that should work on Windows 8
              http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Adapter-Prolific-PL2303HX-Chipset/dp/B00425S1H8
              Also go here for info. on the Prolific web site.
              http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41

              Clark
            • Mike
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 17, 2013
                Clark,

                Thanks for your message and URL. That is what I am looking for. However, at
                $5,000 that is a bit much to pay! LOL they must be having a problem with the
                site because when I put it in my cart it says $5,000. Now I need it and I
                like it BUT not that much! LOL I'll investigate or send them a message or
                something. Something has got to be wrong.

                Do you have any more URLs?

                Again, thanks.

                Mike

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 17, 2013
                  Clark,

                  Okay, it is when I go down looking at details is where the problem is. If I
                  just go to the URL and put it in the cart I am okay.

                  Thank again for the help. Greatly appreciated.

                  Mike