Re: [BCD396XT] Unlocking or locking all systems

  • JAN FINE
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 3, 2009
      No. But using the startup keys may solve the problem for you.

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 3, 2009
        I thought I proofed this...

        The second line should read:
        That way if you bumped it accidentally the system would not be locked out permanently but you could lock out a channel that is problematic in a given location.

        Don, KE4JD

      • Uniden UPMan
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 3, 2009
          Try "Keysafe" mode, instead. It disallows permanent lockout.
          (FUNC while powering on the scanner).
           UPMan

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 3, 2009
            Cool. I'll try that.

            Thanks,
            Don, KE4JD
            -------------- Original message from Uniden UPMan <uniden.upman@...>: --------------

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 3, 2009
              Thanks Paul, that will help me out a bit.

              Actually, using the Startup Keys is what prompted me to ask this. I decided to give the Startup Key feature a try, although I never used it on my 996's.

              Let's say I have 30 systems programmed into my scanner. I normally scan about 8 of them. At times I only want to monitor one single system. So I give this system a Startup Key of "1". All other systems I give a Startup Key of "0". Now, when I power up the scanner while holding the "1" key, the one system I'm interested in comes on, all the others are locked out. This is exactly what I want. The problem is, when I turn the scanner off, and turn it back on again without holding any Startup Key, it is still scanning that same single system. I ASSumed it would revert back to the state it was in before activating the Startup Key. Now, all of my other systems are locked out, and I have to go back and manually unlock them when I want to resume scanning my 4 "usual" systems. Yes, I could hold the "0" key and thus unlock all of them, but that's not what I want either. And apparently you can't have overlapping systems with more than one Startup Key. Is this scenario accurate, or am I overlooking something? Suggestions?

              Ken

              ..
              You can unlock everything (including custom and service searches) by pressing and holding L/O while scanning.
              There is no key sequence available for locking everything, but if you use Startup Keys on all your systems and leave one Startup Key (like 0) unused, then you could lock all systems by holding "0" (or whatever the unused one is) while powering on the scanner.
              UPMan

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 3, 2009
                If you are really wanting to just hold on and scan a single system, while on that system press HOLD for 2 seconds. It will flash HOLD in the display and scan that one system until you release it by pressing HOLD for 2 seconds again.

                Your description of SK's is accurate. SKs are exclusive (can't  be combined or overlap).
                 UPMan

                ________________________________

                ____________ _________ _________ __

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 3, 2009
                  Thanks for the help, that sounds like a plan!

                  Ken

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 3, 2009
                    I tried this and it works pretty well. The problem with it is that the
                    numbers 0-9 still work. I have my personal scanner on me up to 12 hours per
                    day. During that time I may be driving or crawling around on the floor (we
                    do a lot of that in the broadcast engineering business). With the temporary
                    lockout, if you turn the scanner off and back on the temporarily L/Oed
                    channel is restored but if you bump a numeric key and disable a SQK that SQK
                    is not restored by powering the radio down and back up.

                    Still a really nice feature though.

                    Thanks,
                    Don, KE4JD

                    _____