Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Moving throughout a System, how do UID's get re-assigned.

  • Uniden UPMan
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 6, 2013
      1) Trunked system "scanning" speed is not impacted by number of channels (or other systems) loaded into the scanner. Actually, if channels are loaded into systems/sites/channel groups that are not enabled or that are locked out, they don't have any performance impact at all. Otherwise, they only have the normal impact you would expect (if you have a lot of stuff turned on for scanning, total scanning cycle time will be increased).

      3) The preloaded systems are now years out of date. Most will not properly scan, as the systems programmed have had significant changes since 2008 or 2009, when the preloads were created. Don't let their presence deter you from erasing them and using their SQKs for your own purposes.

      UpMan

      >________________________________

    • David
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 6, 2013
        I see where you are coming from.

        I don't see having the memory fuller will effect scanning speed, only depends on which are actually being scanned or not.

        I know what you mean about easier to see 0-9. You have to look for a fairly small number at the beginning of the line to tell the difference between 03, 13, 23 etc.

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 6, 2013
          Mine is 99.9% full, and I am usually only scanning a SQK or two, and it
          flies as fast as if those were the only Systems in the scanner.

          Joe M.

          David wrote:
          > I see where you are coming from.
          >
          > I don't see having the memory fuller will effect scanning speed, only depends on which are actually being scanned or not.
          >
          > I know what you mean about easier to see 0-9. You have to look for a fairly small number at the beginning of the line to tell the difference between 03, 13, 23 etc.
          >
          > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "kbarnsda" <kbarnsda@...> wrote:
          >> Hello,
          >> EXCELLENT question. Here is my reason and it may be unfounded. I have only had the radio 1 week and I am learning how to use.
          >> I need to test. Here are my reasons at this time.
          >> 1) I am not sure of the processing power of the scanner and if it is impacted by having a system fully loaded.
          >>
          >> 2) It is extremely convenient using keys 0-9. It only involves one push and is confirmed by a STAR showing up in the place of the number. Once you go over 9, it is not as easy to see what is or is not locked out. The main reason would be be convenience and confirmation of on or off on the screen.
          >>
          >> 3)I am very anal as far as programming things. I change and then change again and again. It is easier to have certain "loads" that I only use for certain times and them not clutter up the system. I find that I sometimes make errors and then I don't have all my eggs ( setups) loaded in one basket so to speak.
          >>
          >> The way I am going to test is to load the original programming and then delete my state and then put in my frequencies and see how things work. This should be fairly easy as the Uniden thoghtfully put their loads in positions starting at 21-46.
          >>
          >> And remember... I am totally new to this and spoiled by the Home Patrol that I used up to now. I went from baby formula to 3 course steak dinner.
          >>
          >> Cheers..
          >>
          >> --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "David" <davidmc36@> wrote:
          >>> With the size of the memory in the 396XT why not just load bunches of stuff into the scanner. Assign Quick Keys to all of them and just Unlock/Lockout the systems as you desire?
          >>>
          >>> There are 100 quick keys available, and you can assign more than one system the same quick key thereby turning on/off multiple systems at the same time. Or they could all get theri own quick key.

        • kbarnsda
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 7, 2013
            David,
            You are absolutely correct.
            I will take your suggestion. Thank you.

            I originally thought the full "load" would impact performance but UPman and others said no.. I also had issue with being able to see the groups easily.. but there is an extremely simple way that just came to me and is probably what you were talking about.

            If I mentally use groups of 10... I can effectively have 10 separate, easily monitored "scanners".
            Since the scanner tells you via the first 2 characters S2 or S3 etc you know always what bank of 10 you are on. You can also easily see, via the * which ones you have turned on and off.

            Therefore, in my own town, I have AIR channels assigned to #1 and Rail assigned to #3 and Highway Patrol on #5 etc. I have gotten very used to this.

            Using this same logic, I don't have to relearn or carry a crib card.
            All I have to do is remember which bank goes to the city I am traveling to.

            Example.. Denver.. I assign group 60-69 via Quick Keys.
            #61 would be (DIA) Denver Air.. Highway Patrol would be #65 Etc. etc.
            It would seem just like my home area and all I would need to remember is which BANK goes to which city.

            All I do now is turn ON or OFF the BANK, via quick keys, that correspond to the city or area that I am in.

            The one extra keystroke is more than offset by convenience of not loading and unloading via the computer.

            SO... THANK you for the suggestion. You were absolutely correct!!!
            Cheers

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "David" <davidmc36@...> wrote:

            > With the size of the memory in the 396XT why not just load bunches of stuff into the scanner. Assign Quick Keys to all of them and just Unlock/Lockout the systems as you desire?
            >
            > There are 100 quick keys available, and you can assign more than one system the same quick key thereby turning on/off multiple systems at the same time. Or they could all get theri own quick key.
            >
            > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "kbarnsda" <kbarnsda@> wrote:
            >
            > > I think I am going to have to travel with a laptop to enable loading >different setups on the fly. I already have 10 subdir with different >setups for traveling.

          • Clark Rennie
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 7, 2013
              Again, the uniden Dynamic Memory scanners do not have banks.
              Instead of using up all the SQKs, why not not also assogm GQKs (Group Quick
              Keys) within the system.
              In your example of Denver.
              SQK60= Denver
              GQK1=Denver Air
              GQK5= Highway Patrol
              ETC.

              >David,
              >You are absolutely correct.
              >I will take your suggestion. Thank you.
              >
              >I originally thought the full "load" would impact performance but UPman
              >and others said no.. I also had issue with being able to see the groups
              >easily.. but there is an extremely simple way that just came to me and is
              >probably what you were talking about.
              >
              >If I mentally use groups of 10... I can effectively have 10 separate,
              >easily monitored "scanners".
              >Since the scanner tells you via the first 2 characters S2 or S3 etc you
              >know always what bank of 10 you are on. You can also easily see, via the *
              >which ones you have turned on and off.
              >
              >Therefore, in my own town, I have AIR channels assigned to #1 and Rail
              >assigned to #3 and Highway Patrol on #5 etc. I have gotten very used to this.
              >
              >Using this same logic, I don't have to relearn or carry a crib card.
              >All I have to do is remember which bank goes to the city I am traveling to.
              >
              >Example.. Denver.. I assign group 60-69 via Quick Keys.
              >#61 would be (DIA) Denver Air.. Highway Patrol would be #65 Etc. etc.
              >It would seem just like my home area and all I would need to remember is
              >which BANK goes to which city.
              >
              >All I do now is turn ON or OFF the BANK, via quick keys, that correspond
              >to the city or area that I am in.
              >
              >The one extra keystroke is more than offset by convenience of not loading
              >and unloading via the computer.
              >
              >SO... THANK you for the suggestion. You were absolutely correct!!!
              >Cheers
            • sf
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 7, 2013
                On all my System I put the corresponding # in front of the Name so it will be easier to remember/memorize it.
                In your example of Denver.
                SQK60= 60 Denver
                GQK1=01Denver Air
                GQK5= 05Highway Patrol

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 8, 2013
                  Hello,
                  I took a day to think about what you said.

                  Had You not began your reply with "Again" I would not have replied as it would have been just your opinion, which you are entitled to. I wondered if I had made myself clear in what I had posted.

                  I say this respectfully...

                  The easiest way to explain where I come from, referring to "Banks" which of course there are not, is to refer to the Windows operating system. You have the option to use the new release Windows setup or, revert back to the old version menu structure that you were more familiar with.

                  In this case.. Since I cannot revert back to "Banks" that I am most familiar with, I have a way that I can have pseudo banks and feel very at home. I agree that the newer and better Dynamic Memory System is the way to go. As I read others posts how they are using the system as you described, I may very will go that route.

                  For now, I choose to go this way. My reason for posting was in case there was one other person having a problem with the new way of scanning.

                  Thank you for your suggestion and I will try and wrap my head around it. I guess I am a perfect example of teaching an old dog new tricks.

                  Cheers!