Re: [BCD396XT] Moving throughout a System, how do UID's get re-assigned.

  • Uniden UPMan
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 5, 2013
      I'll try to answer this. But first, I'm going to assum that by "UID", you actually mean "TGID." UID identifies a specific radio on a system, while TGID identifies a talk group (shared by many UIDs. Typically, when scanning, you program TGIDs to listen to.

      If there is a user on the TGID you are interested in hearing affiliated with a tower you are monitoring, then the traffic for that TGID will be carried on that tower. If no user affiliated on that tower is set to the TGID you are interested in, then the traffic for that TGID will not be carried on that tower (since, as far as the tower knows, there is no one within the tower's operational range to receive the comms).

      In the scanner, Sites and Channel Groups are independent. Any enabled channel groups are going to be attempted to be received on any enabled (and received) site.

      UpMan

      >________________________________

    • Jeffry Rehm
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 5, 2013
        You may want try and program "Tower A" as a site. Then you can add "Tower B and C" as a second and third site. The scanner will simply go through them and you will never know the difference. Also set the HOLD TIME to 0 on each site. I am sure my answer is nowhere close to UPman's but it could help. Maybe.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 5, 2013
          At 10:26 AM 8/5/2013, you wrote:
          >My question is this.
          >When I get into their area (B&C), will the UID's I already have
          >assigned, on another tower(A) (Group) BECOME operational for these
          >new towers(groups)?

          I found your post a little confusing but...

          You can program all three towers as one system. Just enter each tower
          as a different site. (you should be able to add the other two towers
          as additional sites to your existing system). You can even assign
          each site it's only quick key. Then whatever talkgroups you have
          programmed for the system will work with any site.

          I have a very large system programmed like this and it works great.
          It's one of those features that I hope Uniden never removes.

          Dean, VA3DBD
        • kbarnsda
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 5, 2013
            Hello,
            You made me laugh. I also found my post confusing.

            Thank everyone for your answers.

            I understood them all but Dean's answer helped me with what I was doing. It just seemed too simple. UpMan thanks for taking the time. I have watched most of your videos and I know you are busy.

            YES ... I will assign quick keys to the towers I do not want and enable/disable as needed.

            Also please excuse mylack of proper terminology. I am in day 4 of trunking and having quite a splashing party. I have gone for absolute hatred of the 396XT to absolutely loving it.

            I think I am going to have to travel with a laptop to enable loading different setups on the fly. I already have 10 subdir with different setups for traveling.

            Thanks again for the answers. I will actually use them tomorrow.
            KeNB
          • David
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 6, 2013
              With the size of the memory in the 396XT why not just load bunches of stuff into the scanner. Assign Quick Keys to all of them and just Unlock/Lockout the systems as you desire?

              There are 100 quick keys available, and you can assign more than one system the same quick key thereby turning on/off multiple systems at the same time. Or they could all get theri own quick key.

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 6, 2013
                Hello,
                EXCELLENT question. Here is my reason and it may be unfounded. I have only had the radio 1 week and I am learning how to use.
                I need to test. Here are my reasons at this time.
                1) I am not sure of the processing power of the scanner and if it is impacted by having a system fully loaded.

                2) It is extremely convenient using keys 0-9. It only involves one push and is confirmed by a STAR showing up in the place of the number. Once you go over 9, it is not as easy to see what is or is not locked out. The main reason would be be convenience and confirmation of on or off on the screen.

                3)I am very anal as far as programming things. I change and then change again and again. It is easier to have certain "loads" that I only use for certain times and them not clutter up the system. I find that I sometimes make errors and then I don't have all my eggs ( setups) loaded in one basket so to speak.

                The way I am going to test is to load the original programming and then delete my state and then put in my frequencies and see how things work. This should be fairly easy as the Uniden thoghtfully put their loads in positions starting at 21-46.

                And remember... I am totally new to this and spoiled by the Home Patrol that I used up to now. I went from baby formula to 3 course steak dinner.

                Cheers..

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 6, 2013
                  1) Trunked system "scanning" speed is not impacted by number of channels (or other systems) loaded into the scanner. Actually, if channels are loaded into systems/sites/channel groups that are not enabled or that are locked out, they don't have any performance impact at all. Otherwise, they only have the normal impact you would expect (if you have a lot of stuff turned on for scanning, total scanning cycle time will be increased).

                  3) The preloaded systems are now years out of date. Most will not properly scan, as the systems programmed have had significant changes since 2008 or 2009, when the preloads were created. Don't let their presence deter you from erasing them and using their SQKs for your own purposes.

                  UpMan

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 6, 2013
                    I see where you are coming from.

                    I don't see having the memory fuller will effect scanning speed, only depends on which are actually being scanned or not.

                    I know what you mean about easier to see 0-9. You have to look for a fairly small number at the beginning of the line to tell the difference between 03, 13, 23 etc.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 6, 2013
                      Mine is 99.9% full, and I am usually only scanning a SQK or two, and it
                      flies as fast as if those were the only Systems in the scanner.

                      Joe M.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 7, 2013
                        David,
                        You are absolutely correct.
                        I will take your suggestion. Thank you.

                        I originally thought the full "load" would impact performance but UPman and others said no.. I also had issue with being able to see the groups easily.. but there is an extremely simple way that just came to me and is probably what you were talking about.

                        If I mentally use groups of 10... I can effectively have 10 separate, easily monitored "scanners".
                        Since the scanner tells you via the first 2 characters S2 or S3 etc you know always what bank of 10 you are on. You can also easily see, via the * which ones you have turned on and off.

                        Therefore, in my own town, I have AIR channels assigned to #1 and Rail assigned to #3 and Highway Patrol on #5 etc. I have gotten very used to this.

                        Using this same logic, I don't have to relearn or carry a crib card.
                        All I have to do is remember which bank goes to the city I am traveling to.

                        Example.. Denver.. I assign group 60-69 via Quick Keys.
                        #61 would be (DIA) Denver Air.. Highway Patrol would be #65 Etc. etc.
                        It would seem just like my home area and all I would need to remember is which BANK goes to which city.

                        All I do now is turn ON or OFF the BANK, via quick keys, that correspond to the city or area that I am in.

                        The one extra keystroke is more than offset by convenience of not loading and unloading via the computer.

                        SO... THANK you for the suggestion. You were absolutely correct!!!
                        Cheers

                        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "David" <davidmc36@...> wrote:

                        > With the size of the memory in the 396XT why not just load bunches of stuff into the scanner. Assign Quick Keys to all of them and just Unlock/Lockout the systems as you desire?
                        >
                        > There are 100 quick keys available, and you can assign more than one system the same quick key thereby turning on/off multiple systems at the same time. Or they could all get theri own quick key.
                        >
                        > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "kbarnsda" <kbarnsda@> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I think I am going to have to travel with a laptop to enable loading >different setups on the fly. I already have 10 subdir with different >setups for traveling.

                      • Clark Rennie
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 7, 2013
                          Again, the uniden Dynamic Memory scanners do not have banks.
                          Instead of using up all the SQKs, why not not also assogm GQKs (Group Quick
                          Keys) within the system.
                          In your example of Denver.
                          SQK60= Denver
                          GQK1=Denver Air
                          GQK5= Highway Patrol
                          ETC.

                          >David,
                          >You are absolutely correct.
                          >I will take your suggestion. Thank you.
                          >
                          >I originally thought the full "load" would impact performance but UPman
                          >and others said no.. I also had issue with being able to see the groups
                          >easily.. but there is an extremely simple way that just came to me and is
                          >probably what you were talking about.
                          >
                          >If I mentally use groups of 10... I can effectively have 10 separate,
                          >easily monitored "scanners".
                          >Since the scanner tells you via the first 2 characters S2 or S3 etc you
                          >know always what bank of 10 you are on. You can also easily see, via the *
                          >which ones you have turned on and off.
                          >
                          >Therefore, in my own town, I have AIR channels assigned to #1 and Rail
                          >assigned to #3 and Highway Patrol on #5 etc. I have gotten very used to this.
                          >
                          >Using this same logic, I don't have to relearn or carry a crib card.
                          >All I have to do is remember which bank goes to the city I am traveling to.
                          >
                          >Example.. Denver.. I assign group 60-69 via Quick Keys.
                          >#61 would be (DIA) Denver Air.. Highway Patrol would be #65 Etc. etc.
                          >It would seem just like my home area and all I would need to remember is
                          >which BANK goes to which city.
                          >
                          >All I do now is turn ON or OFF the BANK, via quick keys, that correspond
                          >to the city or area that I am in.
                          >
                          >The one extra keystroke is more than offset by convenience of not loading
                          >and unloading via the computer.
                          >
                          >SO... THANK you for the suggestion. You were absolutely correct!!!
                          >Cheers
                        • sf
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 7, 2013
                            On all my System I put the corresponding # in front of the Name so it will be easier to remember/memorize it.
                            In your example of Denver.
                            SQK60= 60 Denver
                            GQK1=01Denver Air
                            GQK5= 05Highway Patrol

                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 8, 2013
                              Hello,
                              I took a day to think about what you said.

                              Had You not began your reply with "Again" I would not have replied as it would have been just your opinion, which you are entitled to. I wondered if I had made myself clear in what I had posted.

                              I say this respectfully...

                              The easiest way to explain where I come from, referring to "Banks" which of course there are not, is to refer to the Windows operating system. You have the option to use the new release Windows setup or, revert back to the old version menu structure that you were more familiar with.

                              In this case.. Since I cannot revert back to "Banks" that I am most familiar with, I have a way that I can have pseudo banks and feel very at home. I agree that the newer and better Dynamic Memory System is the way to go. As I read others posts how they are using the system as you described, I may very will go that route.

                              For now, I choose to go this way. My reason for posting was in case there was one other person having a problem with the new way of scanning.

                              Thank you for your suggestion and I will try and wrap my head around it. I guess I am a perfect example of teaching an old dog new tricks.

                              Cheers!