Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Brain Hurting.. Have 396XT. Need Help with Software

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
      There really isn't any way to know I'm aware of.

      The Uniden is likely your best bet unless you want to try a
      few of the cheap ones and take a chance it's not counterfeit.

      Joe M.

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
        FREESCAN IS Awesome with the UNIDEN IMO.

        On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 6:12 PM, kbarnsda <kbarnsda@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hello,
        > I have gone through this site and gleaned all I can hold.
        > I am going from a Home Patrol and many many other scanners and having
        > problems with new way of doing things.
        > I have watched all the videos from Opitz I can find and think I have a
        > very basic understanding of what I need to do... forget all I know.
        >
        > I also printed out the manual from markscanners dot com a and have read it
        > through.
        >
        > My usb cable arrives today and I don't know if I can read another manual
        > without total meltdown.
        >
        > I only want to learn one more thing. Price does not matter at this point.
        > I gave a "dry run" with the FreeScan program and it hooked up perfectly
        > with the RadioScanner database chaps and I was able to get it to look like
        > it would work.
        >
        > My problem... The cable arrives later today and I don't want to commit to
        > the FreeScan if there is a better program out there.
        > I live in a remote area with only one tower available and a Motorola
        > APCO-25 system. I have all my id ready to plug in.. plus lots of analog
        > frequencies to sort through and put in groups.
        >
        > Any suggestion if this is the best program for me?
        > I really don't mind the RTFM thing but I just am giving out.
        > Appreciate the help.
        > Cheers.. fried old newbie.

      • Jim Davis
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
          I bought a Plugable USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Adapter (Prolific PL2303HX Rev
          D Chipset)

          from Amazon a couple of weeks ago for $12.95, it works great.