Re: [BCD396XT] Brain Hurting.. Have 396XT. Need Help with Software

  • Tony Langdon
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
      On 1/08/13 11:57 PM, KenBarnsda wrote:
      > Hello,
      > Once again, thank you for your suggestion. I will do it exactly.
      > It is a shame that Uniden does not ship with a USB cable, 1 month trial to RR, and Freescan.
      > Freescan should charge. I do appreciate that they did not so I will certainly stick
      > with them rather than the .nl chaps that I have dealt with for years.
      Freescan certainly works well. I use it for programming my scanner. I
      haven't downloaded off RR yet, but as the fire service here is on the
      cusp of going P25 (and trunked dispatch by the looks of it), I will be
      looking at my programming options - probably Freescan with manual input,
      given I'll want to get it up and running ASAP. Depends which route
      gives me the frequency and talk group information I need first. :) This
      will be the first trunked system I've programmed in any scanner or
      computer. :)

      --
      73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
      http://vkradio.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
        Are there any currently preferred USB/Serial units other than from Uniden?
        I see some on EBay that have the tag "Prolific" but are they for real?
        Kevin Phx Az
      • Robert Marshall
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
          If you are using arc xt pro software the manual tells you that and points you to the link to download the driver.  My computer is windows 8 and while it sees and id's the cable it doesn't see the scanner.

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
            There really isn't any way to know I'm aware of.

            The Uniden is likely your best bet unless you want to try a
            few of the cheap ones and take a chance it's not counterfeit.

            Joe M.

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
              FREESCAN IS Awesome with the UNIDEN IMO.

              On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 6:12 PM, kbarnsda <kbarnsda@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Hello,
              > I have gone through this site and gleaned all I can hold.
              > I am going from a Home Patrol and many many other scanners and having
              > problems with new way of doing things.
              > I have watched all the videos from Opitz I can find and think I have a
              > very basic understanding of what I need to do... forget all I know.
              >
              > I also printed out the manual from markscanners dot com a and have read it
              > through.
              >
              > My usb cable arrives today and I don't know if I can read another manual
              > without total meltdown.
              >
              > I only want to learn one more thing. Price does not matter at this point.
              > I gave a "dry run" with the FreeScan program and it hooked up perfectly
              > with the RadioScanner database chaps and I was able to get it to look like
              > it would work.
              >
              > My problem... The cable arrives later today and I don't want to commit to
              > the FreeScan if there is a better program out there.
              > I live in a remote area with only one tower available and a Motorola
              > APCO-25 system. I have all my id ready to plug in.. plus lots of analog
              > frequencies to sort through and put in groups.
              >
              > Any suggestion if this is the best program for me?
              > I really don't mind the RTFM thing but I just am giving out.
              > Appreciate the help.
              > Cheers.. fried old newbie.

            • Jim Davis
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
                I bought a Plugable USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Adapter (Prolific PL2303HX Rev
                D Chipset)

                from Amazon a couple of weeks ago for $12.95, it works great.