Brain Hurting.. Have 396XT. Need Help with Software

  • kbarnsda
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 31, 2013
      Hello,
      I have gone through this site and gleaned all I can hold.
      I am going from a Home Patrol and many many other scanners and having problems with new way of doing things.
      I have watched all the videos from Opitz I can find and think I have a very basic understanding of what I need to do... forget all I know.

      I also printed out the manual from markscanners dot com a and have read it through.

      My usb cable arrives today and I don't know if I can read another manual without total meltdown.

      I only want to learn one more thing. Price does not matter at this point. I gave a "dry run" with the FreeScan program and it hooked up perfectly with the RadioScanner database chaps and I was able to get it to look like it would work.

      My problem... The cable arrives later today and I don't want to commit to the FreeScan if there is a better program out there.
      I live in a remote area with only one tower available and a Motorola APCO-25 system. I have all my id ready to plug in.. plus lots of analog frequencies to sort through and put in groups.

      Any suggestion if this is the best program for me?
      I really don't mind the RTFM thing but I just am giving out.
      Appreciate the help.
      Cheers.. fried old newbie.
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 31, 2013
        You don't have to commit to Freescan - It's free. No biggie.

        Freescan works beautifully for programming the 396XT. When you get your cable, load the drivers for Windows, reboot, then you should be
        fine to run Freescan, and connect to your radio.

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 31, 2013
          Only you can answer that. Try them and see
          which one you are most comfortable with.

          Joe

          kbarnsda wrote:
          > Hello,
          > I have gone through this site and gleaned all I can hold.
          > I am going from a Home Patrol and many many other scanners and having problems with new way of doing things.
          > I have watched all the videos from Opitz I can find and think I have a very basic understanding of what I need to do... forget all I know.
          >
          > I also printed out the manual from markscanners dot com a and have read it through.
          >
          > My usb cable arrives today and I don't know if I can read another manual without total meltdown.
          >
          > I only want to learn one more thing. Price does not matter at this point. I gave a "dry run" with the FreeScan program and it hooked up perfectly with the RadioScanner database chaps and I was able to get it to look like it would work.
          >
          > My problem... The cable arrives later today and I don't want to commit to the FreeScan if there is a better program out there.
          > I live in a remote area with only one tower available and a Motorola APCO-25 system. I have all my id ready to plug in.. plus lots of analog frequencies to sort through and put in groups.
          >
          > Any suggestion if this is the best program for me?
          > I really don't mind the RTFM thing but I just am giving out.
          > Appreciate the help.
          > Cheers.. fried old newbie.

        • KenBarnsda
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 31, 2013
            Thank you!   This was pretty much a no brainer.
            I did as you said and it scanned immediately.  I guess I want to donate something to the chap.
            I still am perplexed as to why it was so hard to program by hand.

            I am reasonably stubborn so I will first learn how to use Freescan totally.. then
            Thanks for reply.
            Any tips for increasing my learning curve for Freescan?

            Ken

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 31, 2013
              Just DL from RR and compare the setup to the web listings.

              When starting by hand, start simple - with a conventional System. Make a
              Group, Make some channels. Set the options.

              Then do the same with a trunked system once you have Conventional down.

              Joe M.

              KenBarnsda wrote:
              > Thank you! This was pretty much a no brainer.
              > I did as you said and it scanned immediately. I guess I want to donate something to the chap.
              > I still am perplexed as to why it was so hard to program by hand.
              >
              > I am reasonably stubborn so I will first learn how to use Freescan totally.. then
              > Thanks for reply.
              > Any tips for increasing my learning curve for Freescan?
              >
              > Ken
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Ted M
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
                Hi,

                I would like to buy a 396XT but it has been on the market for awhile and IM afraid I will buy it and a new radio will be released buy Uniden soon.

                Does the Group know of any plans to discontinue the 396XT and bring a new model to market?

                I understand they released a new firmware update for the 396XT a few months ago.

                If I buy a unit now, will it have that update in it?

                Best Regards
                Sincerely,
                Ted
                KB6UDA

              • Robert Marshall
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
                  plenty can still go wrong, I have to use a USB cable not the serial port cable since my pc is fairly new and no longer comes with an RS-232 port.  I downloaded the updated driver and my pc recoginized the cable but it doesn't see the scanner. The software says if your pc doesn't see talk to vendor tech support. I guess before I bother tech support I will try to reboot pc just in case, but I figured if the pc sees the cable I shouldn't have to reboot.

                  ________________________________
                  You don't have to commit to Freescan - It's free.  No biggie.

                  Freescan works beautifully for programming the 396XT.  When you get your cable, load the drivers for Windows, reboot, then you should be
                  fine to run Freescan, and connect to your radio.

                  On Jul 31, 2013, at 4:12 PM, kbarnsda wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  > I have gone through this site and gleaned all I can hold.
                  > I am going from a Home Patrol and many many other scanners and having problems with new way of doing things.
                  > I have watched all the videos from Opitz I can find and think I have a very basic understanding of what I need to do... forget all I know.
                  >
                  > I also printed out the manual from markscanners dot com a and have read it through.
                  >
                  > My usb cable arrives today and I don't know if I can read another manual without total meltdown.
                  >
                  > I only want to learn one more thing. Price does not matter at this point. I gave a "dry run" with the FreeScan program and it hooked up perfectly with the RadioScanner database chaps and I was able to get it to look like it would work.
                  >
                  > My problem... The cable arrives later today and I don't want to commit to the FreeScan if there is a better program out there.
                  > I live in a remote area with only one tower available and a Motorola APCO-25 system. I have all my id ready to plug in.. plus lots of analog frequencies to sort through and put in groups.
                  >
                  > Any suggestion if this is the best program for me?
                  > I really don't mind the RTFM thing but I just am giving out.
                  > Appreciate the help.
                  > Cheers.. fried old newbie.

                • KenBarnsda
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
                    Hello,
                    Once again, thank you for your suggestion.  I will do it exactly.
                    It is a shame that Uniden does not ship with a USB cable, 1 month trial to RR, and Freescan.
                    Freescan should charge.  I do appreciate that they did not so I will certainly stick
                    with them rather than the  .nl  chaps that I have dealt with for years.

                    I think it would result in a lot more radios not being returned.
                    My radio this morning has gone from a $400+ brick to a

                    radio that will not shut up.  I need to get out paper and pencil
                    and get it organized so I can turn on/off systems easily.
                    Right now I am getting overloaded with traffic which is

                    unheard of where I live.  Smallest state.smallest county.smallestcity in USA.
                    Thanks again for help.  Perhaps these comments will be of use to others.
                    Cheers,
                    KenB

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
                      Ted,
                      That is the exact reason I bought the 396XT.   I am tired of being on the bleeding edge of new products.  It seemed that there were enough people out there with the 396XT that I should have programs and help if I needed it.. which I did.

                      The suggestion of the "FreeScan" program by this forum was really helpful.
                      This is essentially my first day programming it and I have it more operationally useful than my HomePatrol which can be programmed in less than 5 seconds.  I also liked the size.

                      My only  problem was paying $450ish from Amazon as I am sure it will fall down to $350 once another model comes out.  This may be my favorite scanner of all time and I have only had a day to dink with it.  It has a good feel and seems bug free.

                      I have an old laptop running Windows7 and the $35 cable from Uniden worked like a snap.  I chose to go that route as there were complaints about trying to cobble one together with the enclosed serial cable...

                      IMHO!

                      Cheers!

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
                        On 1/08/13 8:45 PM, Robert Marshall wrote:
                        > plenty can still go wrong, I have to use a USB cable not the serial port cable since my pc is fairly new and no longer comes with an RS-232 port. I downloaded the updated driver and my pc recoginized the cable but it doesn't see the scanner. The software says if your pc doesn't see talk to vendor tech support. I guess before I bother tech support I will try to reboot pc just in case, but I figured if the pc sees the cable I shouldn't have to reboot.
                        If you're using a USB - serial adapter (at least on Vista or newer)
                        which uses a counterfeit Prolific chip (turns out I have 2 of these!),
                        you need to install an older Prolific driver on your system, or the
                        cable won't work. This is a common 'gotcha'. The symptoms are:

                        1. No communications is possible.
                        2. In Device Manager, the serial device provided by the cable has a
                        yellow exclamation mark next to it and the text "This device is not
                        working properly" appears.

                        In this instance, you need to locate an older version Prolific driver
                        for your system. They can be downloaded off the net.

                        --
                        73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
                        http://vkradio.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
                          On 1/08/13 11:57 PM, KenBarnsda wrote:
                          > Hello,
                          > Once again, thank you for your suggestion. I will do it exactly.
                          > It is a shame that Uniden does not ship with a USB cable, 1 month trial to RR, and Freescan.
                          > Freescan should charge. I do appreciate that they did not so I will certainly stick
                          > with them rather than the .nl chaps that I have dealt with for years.
                          Freescan certainly works well. I use it for programming my scanner. I
                          haven't downloaded off RR yet, but as the fire service here is on the
                          cusp of going P25 (and trunked dispatch by the looks of it), I will be
                          looking at my programming options - probably Freescan with manual input,
                          given I'll want to get it up and running ASAP. Depends which route
                          gives me the frequency and talk group information I need first. :) This
                          will be the first trunked system I've programmed in any scanner or
                          computer. :)

                          --
                          73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
                          http://vkradio.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
                            Are there any currently preferred USB/Serial units other than from Uniden?
                            I see some on EBay that have the tag "Prolific" but are they for real?
                            Kevin Phx Az
                          • Robert Marshall
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
                              If you are using arc xt pro software the manual tells you that and points you to the link to download the driver.  My computer is windows 8 and while it sees and id's the cable it doesn't see the scanner.

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
                                There really isn't any way to know I'm aware of.

                                The Uniden is likely your best bet unless you want to try a
                                few of the cheap ones and take a chance it's not counterfeit.

                                Joe M.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
                                  FREESCAN IS Awesome with the UNIDEN IMO.

                                  On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 6:12 PM, kbarnsda <kbarnsda@...> wrote:

                                  > **
                                  >

                                  > Hello,
                                  > I have gone through this site and gleaned all I can hold.
                                  > I am going from a Home Patrol and many many other scanners and having
                                  > problems with new way of doing things.
                                  > I have watched all the videos from Opitz I can find and think I have a
                                  > very basic understanding of what I need to do... forget all I know.
                                  >
                                  > I also printed out the manual from markscanners dot com a and have read it
                                  > through.
                                  >
                                  > My usb cable arrives today and I don't know if I can read another manual
                                  > without total meltdown.
                                  >
                                  > I only want to learn one more thing. Price does not matter at this point.
                                  > I gave a "dry run" with the FreeScan program and it hooked up perfectly
                                  > with the RadioScanner database chaps and I was able to get it to look like
                                  > it would work.
                                  >
                                  > My problem... The cable arrives later today and I don't want to commit to
                                  > the FreeScan if there is a better program out there.
                                  > I live in a remote area with only one tower available and a Motorola
                                  > APCO-25 system. I have all my id ready to plug in.. plus lots of analog
                                  > frequencies to sort through and put in groups.
                                  >
                                  > Any suggestion if this is the best program for me?
                                  > I really don't mind the RTFM thing but I just am giving out.
                                  > Appreciate the help.
                                  > Cheers.. fried old newbie.

                                • Jim Davis
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
                                    I bought a Plugable USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Adapter (Prolific PL2303HX Rev
                                    D Chipset)

                                    from Amazon a couple of weeks ago for $12.95, it works great.