Re: [BCD396XT] Understanding bc 396xt programming ?

  • Clark Rennie
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 20, 2013
      ARC-XT has a 30 day trial version. Try it and decide for yourself.
      Many FreeSCAN users seem to forget that a donation is appropriate when the
      user continues to use it.

      One of things I like (among others ) with ARC-XT is that each system is a
      separate file.

      At 05:15 PM 7/20/2013, you wrote:

      >Is freescan better that Butel arc basic ?
      >
      >Sent from my iPhone
    • Tim Matthews
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 21, 2013
        Maybe I can help personally. What part of San Diego are you in?

        On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Jim Adams <blastdad51@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > That's kind of how I've been envisioning it.I tried setting up my San
        > Diego area trunking system and put all my NASCAR teams in a conventional
        > system under different keys but when I loaded everything in it all ran
        > together and I had a mess. So I guess I need more info on seperating my key
        > and not listening to the conventional when I'm at home and teams only at
        > the track ?
        >
        > ________________________________

      • Jm Adams
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 21, 2013
          I'm in Lakeside. I listen mostly to Santee Sheriff and Heartland fire

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jul 21, 2013, at 6:08 AM, Tim Matthews <timgmatthews@...> wrote:

          > Maybe I can help personally. What part of San Diego are you in?
          >

          > On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Jim Adams <blastdad51@...> wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> That's kind of how I've been envisioning it.I tried setting up my San
          >> Diego area trunking system and put all my NASCAR teams in a conventional
          >> system under different keys but when I loaded everything in it all ran
          >> together and I had a mess. So I guess I need more info on seperating my key
          >> and not listening to the conventional when I'm at home and teams only at
          >> the track ?
          >>
          >> ________________________________

        • Jim Adams
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 21, 2013
            I'm in Lakeside. I listen mostly  to Santee Sheriff and Heartland Fire. I also have some Edcas Systems I listen to when I'm out of town and NASCAR teams when I'm at the track. I'm not getting the Qkeys thing when I set up a system or site. When I send it to my scanner it all runs together and it turns out all wrong. I can't turn off the EDACS system or the NASCAR ugh !!

            ________________________________
            Maybe I can help personally. What part of San Diego are you in?

            On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Jim Adams <blastdad51@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > That's kind of how I've been envisioning it.I tried setting up my San
            > Diego area trunking system and put all my NASCAR teams in a  conventional
            > system under different keys but when I loaded everything in it all ran
            > together and I had a mess. So I guess I need more info on seperating my key
            > and not listening to the conventional when I'm at home and teams only at
            > the track ?
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Tom Turney
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 21, 2013
              Michael,

              Your response was most helpful in understanding concepts. Do you use a software program to help with programming? If so which one?

              Thomas W. Turney
              Managing Principal
              NewCap Partners Inc.
              5777 W Century Blvd.
              Suite 1135
              Los Angeles, CA
              90045
              Tel: 310-645-7900 x 22
              Fax: 310-215-1025
              Email: turney@...
              www.newcap.com

            • Michael Hopkins
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 21, 2013
                I use FreeScan and find it very easy to use and very intuitive….

                Good luck

                Mike Hopkins K1VLB

                Mhopkins735@...

                Email: turney@... <mailto:turney%40newcap.com>
                www.newcap.com

                On Jul 20, 2013, at 2:32 PM, "Michael Hopkins" <mhopkins735@... <mailto:mhopkins735%40charter.net> > wrote:

                > I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses --- I went through the same thing and
                > it was painful, but I can assure you it's worth the effort in the end.
                >
                > To keep it simple --- get a copy of FreeScan to use programming the radio.
                > It makes things a bit easier.
                >
                > Rather than worrying about any particular channel, you need to think in
                > terms of building systems with groups and activities within those systems.
                >
                > For example:
                >
                > System: NH Towns - Quck Key 1
                >
                > Groups: Nashua
                >
                > Activities Police
                >
                > Fire
                >
                > EMT
                >
                > Hollis
                >
                > Police
                >
                > Fire
                >
                > Etc..
                >
                > System: Local Air --- Quick key 2
                >
                > Groups: Manchester
                >
                > Tower
                >
                > Ground
                >
                > Quick keys 1 and 2 above would show on the scanner the way channels showed
                > on other scanners.
                >
                > There are many variations on the above depending on how you use the scanner.
                > Decide for yourself what works best.
                >
                > Good luck..
                >
                > Mike Hopkins K1VLB
                >
                > Mhopkins735@... <mailto:Mhopkins735%40charter.net>

              • Tim Matthews
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 21, 2013
                  Lakeside, good. I'm in Chula Vista. Perhaps we can meet some evening this
                  week and I can help you out. I only have a BCD396T so I am not up to speed
                  on some of the capabilities of the BCD396XT, but the concepts are the same.
                  Let me know.