Understanding bc 396xt programming ?

  • blastdad51
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 20, 2013
      Help !

      I recently purchased the latest/greatest 396xt and the ARC-xt programming software. Now I throw everything I ever learned about the 296 and Trunking systems with banks/ groups etc out the window and start over. I understand the Dynamic Memory but I'm not getting the quickey deal and setting it up. If there is anyone out the who can help me get it clear I would greatly appreciate it

      Thanks
      Jim Adams aka blastdad
    • John Stark
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 20, 2013
        Maybe the simplest is to consider system quick keys as banks and group quick keys as sub-banks.

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 20, 2013
          For the System Quick Keys, think of them as a way to assign the 'bank
          button' to the Systems you have programmed.

          Think of the Group Quick Keys as a way to select which channels in a
          System you want to monitor.

          Does that help?

          Joe M.

          blastdad51 wrote:
          > Help !
          >
          > I recently purchased the latest/greatest 396xt and the ARC-xt programming software. Now I throw everything I ever learned about the 296 and Trunking systems with banks/ groups etc out the window and start over. I understand the Dynamic Memory but I'm not getting the quickey deal and setting it up. If there is anyone out the who can help me get it clear I would greatly appreciate it
          >

          > Thanks
          > Jim Adams aka blastdad

        • Jim Adams
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 20, 2013
            That's kind of how I've been envisioning it.I tried setting up my San Diego area trunking system and put all my NASCAR teams in a  conventional system under different keys but when I loaded everything in it all ran together and I had a mess. So I guess I need more info on seperating my key and not listening to the conventional when I'm at home and teams only at the track ?

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 20, 2013
              Were you using separate System Quick Keys or Group Quick Keys?

              You can think of the difference as the same as the difference in folders
              on a computer - the System QKs are the folders and the Group QKs are the
              folders within each System folder.

              Start with System Quick Keys when programming, then you can learn Group
              Quick Keys later. For System Quick Keys, start with the single-digit
              ones (0-9), load them on your scanner (erasing the scanner first), then
              try enabling and disabling each SQK using the buttons on your scanner
              (the same way you did on your 296).

              You should see that each Quick Key controls a different System. This is
              easier seen by having only one SQK active at a time, although once you
              can visualize this you can activate any or all.

              Joe M.

              Jim Adams wrote:
              > That's kind of how I've been envisioning it.I tried setting up my San Diego area trunking system and put all my NASCAR teams in a conventional system under different keys but when I loaded everything in it all ran together and I had a mess. So I guess I need more info on seperating my key and not listening to the conventional when I'm at home and teams only at the track ?
              >

              > ________________________________

            • sf
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 20, 2013
                01 San Diego Main Key (Bank) up to 99 then under that you can set up Sub keys (sub banks)
                01 Fire
                02 EMS
                03 PD up to 10
                02 Nascar
                01 Team 1
                02 Team 2 again up to 10
                When scanning by pressing 1 or 2 Key you turn them on or off
                Also all my system I set up I put the (Bank) # in front of it so it will be easier to remember what System goes with what #

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 20, 2013
                  I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses --- I went through the same thing and
                  it was painful, but I can assure you it's worth the effort in the end.

                  To keep it simple --- get a copy of FreeScan to use programming the radio.
                  It makes things a bit easier.

                  Rather than worrying about any particular channel, you need to think in
                  terms of building systems with groups and activities within those systems.

                  For example:

                  System: NH Towns - Quck Key 1

                  Groups: Nashua

                  Activities Police

                  Fire

                  EMT

                  Hollis

                  Police

                  Fire

                  Etc..

                  System: Local Air --- Quick key 2

                  Groups: Manchester

                  Tower

                  Ground

                  Quick keys 1 and 2 above would show on the scanner the way channels showed
                  on other scanners.

                  There are many variations on the above depending on how you use the scanner.
                  Decide for yourself what works best.

                  Good luck..

                  Mike Hopkins K1VLB

                  Mhopkins735@...

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 20, 2013
                    Is freescan better that Butel arc basic ?

                    Sent from my iPhone

                  • Clark Rennie
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 20, 2013
                      ARC-XT has a 30 day trial version. Try it and decide for yourself.
                      Many FreeSCAN users seem to forget that a donation is appropriate when the
                      user continues to use it.

                      One of things I like (among others ) with ARC-XT is that each system is a
                      separate file.

                      At 05:15 PM 7/20/2013, you wrote:

                      >Is freescan better that Butel arc basic ?
                      >
                      >Sent from my iPhone
                    • Tim Matthews
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 21, 2013
                        Maybe I can help personally. What part of San Diego are you in?

                        On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Jim Adams <blastdad51@...> wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > That's kind of how I've been envisioning it.I tried setting up my San
                        > Diego area trunking system and put all my NASCAR teams in a conventional
                        > system under different keys but when I loaded everything in it all ran
                        > together and I had a mess. So I guess I need more info on seperating my key
                        > and not listening to the conventional when I'm at home and teams only at
                        > the track ?
                        >
                        > ________________________________

                      • Jm Adams
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 21, 2013
                          I'm in Lakeside. I listen mostly to Santee Sheriff and Heartland fire

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          On Jul 21, 2013, at 6:08 AM, Tim Matthews <timgmatthews@...> wrote:

                          > Maybe I can help personally. What part of San Diego are you in?
                          >

                          > On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Jim Adams <blastdad51@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> **
                          >>

                          >> That's kind of how I've been envisioning it.I tried setting up my San
                          >> Diego area trunking system and put all my NASCAR teams in a conventional
                          >> system under different keys but when I loaded everything in it all ran
                          >> together and I had a mess. So I guess I need more info on seperating my key
                          >> and not listening to the conventional when I'm at home and teams only at
                          >> the track ?
                          >>
                          >> ________________________________

                        • Jim Adams
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 21, 2013
                            I'm in Lakeside. I listen mostly  to Santee Sheriff and Heartland Fire. I also have some Edcas Systems I listen to when I'm out of town and NASCAR teams when I'm at the track. I'm not getting the Qkeys thing when I set up a system or site. When I send it to my scanner it all runs together and it turns out all wrong. I can't turn off the EDACS system or the NASCAR ugh !!

                            ________________________________
                            Maybe I can help personally. What part of San Diego are you in?

                            On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Jim Adams <blastdad51@...> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > That's kind of how I've been envisioning it.I tried setting up my San
                            > Diego area trunking system and put all my NASCAR teams in a  conventional
                            > system under different keys but when I loaded everything in it all ran
                            > together and I had a mess. So I guess I need more info on seperating my key
                            > and not listening to the conventional when I'm at home and teams only at
                            > the track ?
                            >
                            > ________________________________

                          • Tom Turney
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 21, 2013
                              Michael,

                              Your response was most helpful in understanding concepts. Do you use a software program to help with programming? If so which one?

                              Thomas W. Turney
                              Managing Principal
                              NewCap Partners Inc.
                              5777 W Century Blvd.
                              Suite 1135
                              Los Angeles, CA
                              90045
                              Tel: 310-645-7900 x 22
                              Fax: 310-215-1025
                              Email: turney@...
                              www.newcap.com

                            • Michael Hopkins
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 21, 2013
                                I use FreeScan and find it very easy to use and very intuitive….

                                Good luck

                                Mike Hopkins K1VLB

                                Mhopkins735@...

                                Email: turney@... <mailto:turney%40newcap.com>
                                www.newcap.com

                                On Jul 20, 2013, at 2:32 PM, "Michael Hopkins" <mhopkins735@... <mailto:mhopkins735%40charter.net> > wrote:

                                > I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses --- I went through the same thing and
                                > it was painful, but I can assure you it's worth the effort in the end.
                                >
                                > To keep it simple --- get a copy of FreeScan to use programming the radio.
                                > It makes things a bit easier.
                                >
                                > Rather than worrying about any particular channel, you need to think in
                                > terms of building systems with groups and activities within those systems.
                                >
                                > For example:
                                >
                                > System: NH Towns - Quck Key 1
                                >
                                > Groups: Nashua
                                >
                                > Activities Police
                                >
                                > Fire
                                >
                                > EMT
                                >
                                > Hollis
                                >
                                > Police
                                >
                                > Fire
                                >
                                > Etc..
                                >
                                > System: Local Air --- Quick key 2
                                >
                                > Groups: Manchester
                                >
                                > Tower
                                >
                                > Ground
                                >
                                > Quick keys 1 and 2 above would show on the scanner the way channels showed
                                > on other scanners.
                                >
                                > There are many variations on the above depending on how you use the scanner.
                                > Decide for yourself what works best.
                                >
                                > Good luck..
                                >
                                > Mike Hopkins K1VLB
                                >
                                > Mhopkins735@... <mailto:Mhopkins735%40charter.net>

                              • Tim Matthews
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 21, 2013
                                  Lakeside, good. I'm in Chula Vista. Perhaps we can meet some evening this
                                  week and I can help you out. I only have a BCD396T so I am not up to speed
                                  on some of the capabilities of the BCD396XT, but the concepts are the same.
                                  Let me know.