Re: [BCD396XT] Sorry For The Redundancy

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 7, 2013
      Were you in CUSTOM SEARCH mode when you hit the 1 key?

      You should be able to enable/disable
      all 10 slots when you are in that mode.

      Joe M.

      zoykz wrote:
      > Here is what was supposed to be posted:
      > Thanks for your help. But now only more questions pop up. Sorry for trying your patience. A constant fear of mine is that I'm paying full price for a 396 that was USED and returned. Radio Shack flat out sold me a 396 and it clearly had been used and programmed although they sold it at full price. They fought me on the return. A trip to Fry's resulted in just two left with one sold as used and the other as new. I bought the new. Problem #1: I went from MENU to SEARCH FOR... to EDIT CUSTOM and punched in my upper and lower frequencies and backed out. I turned it off to take a breather. I turned it back on and went to CUSTOM SEARCH and it just sticks on CUSTOM 10 even though I chose CUSTOM 1 as the place for my lower and upper frequencies. I can't get it to go to CUSTOM 1 even though I turn the knob to manipulate the up and down arrows. How does one does this? (On my old BC250 I just punched in the numbers on the keyboard to get the corresponding "scan range".) Problem #2: H
      owe
      > ver, on CUSTOM 10 of my 396 I see "959.9625MHz". I never created the CUSTOM 10 and I certainly did not punch in "959.9625MHz" So does this mean that a previous user of my fine 396 created this "CUSTOM 10"?? Was I sold a used 396? I just punched a number on the keyboard and the 396 went from "959.9625MHz" is to "946.1375MHz". So I someone has previously owned my "new" 396? I really don't know how to present this to Fry's to get a refund, LOL. It's way beyond their 30 day return policy. I'd be grateful if you could please tell me how I could access my CUSTOM 1 so I could at least listen to my frequencies as I ponder my alleged rip-off, LOL. Thanks.
      >
      > My BC250 had NO frequencies stored in the ONE thru TEN scan search channels so I can't quite get what you are saying. But once you program your low and high frequencies into CUSTOM 1 in your 396, how do you get back to CUSTOM 1 to listen to it? I tried pressing 1 and nothing happened. My new 396 just seems to go to any CUSTOM range it wants.

    • Uniden UPMan
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 8, 2013
        All the search ranges are preprogrammed with some default values at the factory. The scanner is also preprogrammed with some default systems at the factory. That there are values already set for these settings is not evidence of prior ownership.

        UpMan

        >________________________________

      • Dean B. Dalrymple
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 8, 2013
          It sounds to me like you have forgotten that Uniden pre-programs all
          of it's new scanners at the factory before they are shipped out.

          At 10:36 PM 7/7/2013, you wrote:
          >Here is what was supposed to be posted:
          >Thanks for your help. But now only more questions pop up. Sorry for
          >trying your patience. A constant fear of mine is that I'm paying
          >full price for a 396 that was USED and returned. Radio Shack flat
          >out sold me a 396 and it clearly had been used and programmed
          >although they sold it at full price. They fought me on the return. A
          >trip to Fry's resulted in just two left with one sold as used and
          >the other as new. I bought the new. Problem #1: I went from MENU to
          >SEARCH FOR... to EDIT CUSTOM and punched in my upper and lower
          >frequencies and backed out. I turned it off to take a breather. I
          >turned it back on and went to CUSTOM SEARCH and it just sticks on
          >CUSTOM 10 even though I chose CUSTOM 1 as the place for my lower and
          >upper frequencies. I can't get it to go to CUSTOM 1 even though I
          >turn the knob to manipulate the up and down arrows. How does one
          >does this? (On my old BC250 I just punched in the numbers on the
          >keyboard to get the corresponding "scan range".) Problem #2:
          >However, on CUSTOM 10 of my 396 I see "959.9625MHz". I never created
          >the CUSTOM 10 and I certainly did not punch in "959.9625MHz" So does
          >this mean that a previous user of my fine 396 created this "CUSTOM
          >10"?? Was I sold a used 396? I just punched a number on the keyboard
          >and the 396 went from "959.9625MHz" is to "946.1375MHz". So I
          >someone has previously owned my "new" 396? I really don't know how
          >to present this to Fry's to get a refund, LOL. It's way beyond their
          >30 day return policy. I'd be grateful if you could please tell me
          >how I could access my CUSTOM 1 so I could at least listen to my
          >frequencies as I ponder my alleged rip-off, LOL.
        • zoykz
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 8, 2013
            Here is what I did on my 396: I went to MENU, SEARCH FOR..., CUSTOM SEARCH. CUSTOM 1 appears and the low-high frequencies that I programmed take off with great speed from low to high and then it stops. I would expect my 396 to reverse itself automatically and either go back from high to low or restart at low and go back to high. But it doesn't. It just hangs. I did get a few very clear transmissions when it went racing from low to high, but that's all.

            With my BC250 I programmed my desired frequencies in all 10 slots and to access the slots I would punch "SEARCH" and then any number from 1 to 10 on the keypad and my 250 would scan the frequencies from low to high and then restart at low gain. When it hit a frequency I wanted to listen to I would punch "HOLD/MAN" and if it stopped on a frequency I didn't care for, usually the ones that have sound effects from hell, I punched "RSM" or "L/O".

            This is how my brain is programmed. I look for familiar functions and settings. This is why I would cry myself to sleep learning the ICOM R-20.When explanations are given and I cannot make the jump in logic I get stymied. I expect my 396 to be just like my 250.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 8, 2013
              Thank you for telling me. That's a new one. I guess Uniden programs the scanners for people who have no idea on who to listen to. I, on the other hand, have a very, very good idea on what I want to hear.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 8, 2013
                Yeah, I had no idea Uniden did that. I'm glad I wasn't shafted by Fry's.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 9, 2013
                  Again, your 396T will work the same way except that where the 296 may
                  have only been able to search one range at a time (I don't recall), the
                  396 can search any of the slots in sequence.

                  If it is hanging on a frequency, you can hit lockout and it will lock
                  that frequency out of the search. If you hit the lockout button once, it
                  will temporarily lock it out. If you hit it twice, it will permanently
                  lock it out.

                  Like your 296, the search will start low and to go the high frequency,
                  and start over when it reaches the end of the enabled slot(s).

                  Oh, and the HOLD button works the same, too.

                  Joe M.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 10, 2013
                    "Again"? You got an attitude? Look, if you just give half-assed answers and cop an attitude then I prefer that you don't respond to my questions. We are all here for each other to help each other. In other forums I've gone a long way to help people when even Microsoft couldn't help them.
                    Are you purposely doing this and think it's funny? I never said anything about a "296". We are all adults here, get it straight. I'm not going to lockout a frequency when it's the fault of the 396. That would be stupid. I said the 396 started low and went high and it sticks on high. Read what I write. And I'll say it one more time, the 396 doesn't "start over". That's what I was asking about. How do you make it go back and forth and/or why isn't it doing so? Just let someone else respond to my problem.

                    > Again, your 396T will work the same way except that where the 296 may
                    > have only been able to search one range at a time (I don't recall), the
                    > 396 can search any of the slots in sequence.
                    >
                    > If it is hanging on a frequency, you can hit lockout and it will lock
                    > that frequency out of the search. If you hit the lockout button once, it
                    > will temporarily lock it out. If you hit it twice, it will permanently
                    > lock it out.
                    >
                    > Like your 296, the search will start low and to go the high frequency,
                    > and start over when it reaches the end of the enabled slot(s).
                    >
                    > Oh, and the HOLD button works the same, too.
                    >
                    > Joe M.
                    >
                    > zoykz wrote:
                    > > Here is what I did on my 396: I went to MENU, SEARCH FOR..., CUSTOM SEARCH. CUSTOM 1 appears and the low-high frequencies that I programmed take off with great speed from low to high and then it stops. I would expect my 396 to reverse itself automatically and either go back from high to low or restart at low and go back to high. But it doesn't. It just hangs. I did get a few very clear transmissions when it went racing from low to high, but that's all.
                    > >

                    > > With my BC250 I programmed my desired frequencies in all 10 slots and to access the slots I would punch "SEARCH" and then any number from 1 to 10 on the keypad and my 250 would scan the frequencies from low to high and then restart at low gain. When it hit a frequency I wanted to listen to I would punch "HOLD/MAN" and if it stopped on a frequency I didn't care for, usually the ones that have sound effects from hell, I punched "RSM" or "L/O".
                    > >
                    > > This is how my brain is programmed. I look for familiar functions and settings. This is why I would cry myself to sleep learning the ICOM R-20.When explanations are given and I cannot make the jump in logic I get stymied. I expect my 396 to be just like my 250.
                    > > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, MCH <mch@> wrote:
                    > >> Were you in CUSTOM SEARCH mode when you hit the 1 key?
                    > >>
                    > >> You should be able to enable/disable
                    > >> all 10 slots when you are in that mode.
                    > >>
                    > >> Joe M.

                    > >> owe

                  • David Johnson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 10, 2013
                      Is it possible that it is stopping on a frequency that has carrier but
                      no audio? If you press L/O when it stops, does it start again?

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 10, 2013
                        Yes, "again". I said twice that your scanner and the 396 should work the
                        same way your older scanner does except that the 396 can 'chain' the
                        search ranges.

                        I believe all of my answers have been complete based on the provided
                        information. I DID make an error in saying 296 rather than 250. I'm
                        sorry you could not read through that error.

                        My scanner starts at the low frequency, runs to the high frequency, and
                        starts over. I don't know why yours is "sticking". Is it receiving a
                        carrier? Did you enter frequencies outside a single band? (not sure if
                        that would make it hang, but you didn't give any specifics)

                        The last I knew, you were having trouble limiting your search to just
                        the one slot you programmed, as you said it was using slot 10, not slot
                        1. I told you exactly how to change that.

                        If it's a birdie, and you don't want to lock it out, you will continue
                        to stop on it. That's the way scanners work. Not trying to be funny -
                        quite the opposite. You didn't say how it is hanging, if there is a
                        carrier, if there is any squelch noise or anything. I can most likely
                        help you, but not when given a complaint of "scanner hangs". Does it
                        continue with the search if you turn the scroll knob?

                        I am simply trying to help you find out why your particular scanner is
                        not acting as it should, and as mine does.

                        So, at the risk of more flames, I will say that I tested mine and the
                        search operates normally - it starts at the low frequency, runs to the
                        high frequency, and starts over. It only 'hangs' when it hears a signal.

                        If you would tell me the frequencies you are using on your search, I
                        will try to duplicate the exact environment. But please don't complain
                        that an answer doesn't solve your problem when the description of the
                        problem is incomplete.

                        Joe M.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 10, 2013
                          zoykz wrote:
                          >"Again"? You got an attitude? Look, if you just give half-assed
                          >answers and cop an attitude then I prefer that you don't respond to
                          >my questions.

                          Whoa. Joe is one of THE MOST helpful people here. And except for
                          maybe Paul (UpMan) he is without question one of the most
                          knowledgeable people there is when it comes to these scanners. In all
                          of the years that I've been a part of these groups that he runs I've
                          seen him walk some "people" through the simplest things, like how to
                          turn the display light on, with far more patience than imaginable,
                          and he's done it without giving anyone "attitude". Right now the only
                          one giving attitude is you, and you need to check that at the door
                          damn quick if you want people to help you.

                          >it just sticks on CUSTOM 10 even though I chose CUSTOM 1 as the
                          >place for my lower and upper frequencies. I can't get it to go to
                          >CUSTOM 1 even though I turn the knob to manipulate the up and down arrows.

                          The up and down ONLY changes the direction in which it goes through
                          the frequencies, forwards or backwards. (low to high or high to low)

                          >I went to MENU, SEARCH FOR..., CUSTOM SEARCH. CUSTOM 1 appears and
                          >the low-high frequencies that I programmed take off with great speed
                          >from low to high

                          Hmm. Interesting, you originally said you couldn't get it to search
                          "Custom 1" and now you can. So I guess Joe did help you solve your
                          original problem. You did remember to say thank you right, after all,
                          as you said we are all adults here, and as such by now we should know
                          our basic manners and politeness.

                          So moving on to your NEW problem....

                          >and then it stops. I would expect my 396 to reverse itself
                          >automatically and either go back from high to low or restart at low
                          >and go back to high. But it doesn't. It just hangs.

                          Are you absolutely sure, 100% positive, that it's not picking
                          anything up on that frequency? It is very possible that it's picking
                          something up and you just can't hear it. My scanners and HAM radios
                          do that all the time. It doesn't even need to be something on that
                          frequency, just a strong enough transmitter in the area. I always
                          know when one particular police vehicle is at the court house because
                          when it is and I even get close to the place something about that
                          particular vehicle's radios cause my scanner to lockup.

                          >if it stopped on a frequency I didn't care for, usually the ones
                          >that have sound effects from hell, I punched "RSM" or "L/O".

                          So you were willing to lock-out a frequency on your old scanner, but
                          you aren't willing to even do a temporary lock-out on your 396 to see
                          if that solve the problem????? Why?

                          >This is how my brain is programmed. I look for familiar functions
                          >and settings. I expect my 396 to be just like my 250.

                          The world has changed and continues to change. As such radio systems
                          have changed and continue to change. As such scanners have changed
                          and continue to change. Your new 396XT is NOT your old 250. It's not
                          going to be just like your old scanner, nor should it be.

                          > I'm not going to lockout a frequency when it's the fault of the
                          > 396. That would be stupid.

                          And how do you know it's the fault of the 396???

                          >I said the 396 started low and went high and it sticks on high. Read
                          >what I write. And I'll say it one more time, the 396 doesn't "start
                          >over". That's what I was asking about.

                          You need to go back and re-read Joe's response, and then actually
                          give it a try. Because without more specific information, that's
                          about the best answer anyone could possibly give you.

                          >Radio Shack flat out sold me a 396 and it clearly had been used and
                          >programmed although they sold it at full price. They fought me on the return.

                          Sometimes it only takes one sentence to tell us everything we need to
                          know about how receptacle someone is going to be to the help they
                          get, in your cast that was the sentence. Arguing with a store because
                          YOU didn't know that the scanner was pre-programmed at the factory.

                          Dean
                        • John Stark
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 10, 2013
                            OK..
                            First the person your mouthing off too is the list owner. Second he's forgotten more about scanners than you will ever know and third what's the big deal with getting 296 and 250 mixed up. Point is he DID answer your question and his answer is CORRECT! If the scanner is hanging its doing it for a reason. Hit lockout and. Once it gets past it ( may take a few times hitting lo) it will finish searching and start over
                            Just chill and listen to MCH. It won't proceed because its hanging on a frequency.