Re: [BCD396XT] Power Issues

  • John Stark
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2013
      Uniden doesn't let schematics out for their own protection. As for fixing the scanners its usually cheaper to let Uniden do it and get it done right with approved parts. Its doubtful UpMan can give you details on the chip in question, again to protect themselves.
      A lot of electronics manufacturers don't give out schematics to keep the competition guessing. The days of opening something up and fixing it yourself are nearly gone for a lot of things.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2013
        Aside from what John said, you likely stressed a lot
        of other components in the scanner. It would be best
        to send it to Uniden for repair (or replacement).

        You can get it to working condition only to have
        another issue come up a month or two later.

        Joe M.

      • red2965 .
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2013
          I'm lost I been doing electronics for almost 40 years and have seen a lot
          of changes, but , tell me ....how do you accidently drop 28v(ac/dc) on a
          little ol 6v????
          much less how did it get that high in the first place.
          they are absolutely correct about the sams it is almost impossible to get
          them unless you are a tech for that particular product.

          Mark

          --
          Mark ~

        • John Stark
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2013
            Plug the wrong supply in could have done it.
            I'm still trying to figure out how you crack a cap though as that just shouldn't happen. Even soldering them shouldn't do that unless using a soldering iron that's way too hot. With today's electronics much of the solder used doesn't need much heat compared to 15 years ago. But then with all the SMT technology that makes sense as the parts can't take the heat of soldering the old parts did.

          • chris451
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 4, 2013
              Yes it was an OOOOPS.
              I had a dual bench supply and was testing something else, slipped. The
              2nd half was set to 24v, but current limited, but there's enough energy
              in capacitors to put a failure spike on the other supply line.

              Re Chip caps. They are wonderfully small but terribly fragile.

              ON my numerous radios and scanners, the #1 failure is poor sensitivity.
              This was found to be due to the input connector solder cracking, or
              stress on the
              first RF coupling capacitor into the board. I keep 2 of each. Side by
              side one is fine and as expected and the other will have variable
              sensitivity, or it will change when the antenna is stressed.

              Usually the bad capacitor will fall into two parts when one end is
              unsoldered.
              One of the capacitor vendors of SMD parts has said
              direct contact with a soldering iron will cause microcracks.
              Freezing or stress will cause the part to split.
              To fix it, I try to put a stress loop on the antenna connection, and
              make sure the connector
              is tight.
              For the capacitor, I try not to touch the part except with tweezers, and
              reflow the adjacent solder
              rather than direct on the part.

              This problem has been found on handheld scanners or trancievers that I
              have owned.
              Brands I use: Icom, Uniden, Motorola. I have never had to fix a Motorola
              for that problem.
              A similar problem seems to recur on laptop power cords. See how Dell has
              addressed that on the D620--d820 laptops. Small inner conductor made of
              silver eliminates center pin stress.

              A good rule would be to make sure your antenna never touches anything
              that stresses it.
              Belt clips are the enemy of your product, as when you sit down extreme
              stress can occur.
              Antenna connections seem to be the first thing that breaks.

              Design wise, a larger SMD part does better than a smaller SMD part, so
              stay away from an 0402 or 0201 part where there will be mechanical stress.
              That is a hard lesson many have not learned.

              There are people like me that don't like the downtime and just fix most
              things myself.
              The radio was down for 3 days while the amp chip was sent and I had the
              zener already.
              I think I had to fix the antenna on that unit as well, but I've quit
              using belt clips or make sure to take it off before sitting in a car.
              I just feed it batteries from my rechargeable stockpile of AA's.
              I remember sending one of the bct396t into Uniden before and it was a
              couple of weeks and 80-90 bucks, before I got it back.

              I've seen another person on this list complain about not picking up
              aircraft.

              His unit could have a broken antenna connection so he can still get
              800mhz but that would degrade at VHF bands. The best thing is check it
              with a signal generator

              here's what I get on "good units"

              .5uv open .25uV close on a good uniden. 163.5mhz.
              .35 open .20uV close on an icr20

              am
              .28uv open .20uv close max squelch open 0.562uV on bct396xt am band
              121.5mhz.
              .15uv open .10uv close ic-r20

              Well I certainly hope UPman can help. I haven't seen anyone else ask
              that question.
              Here's another question. I'll just figure it out.

              Lets say I have a quick key programmed for a system. Under that system I
              have 10 banks defined.
              As I press shift and a number, I get sr1, sr2, sr3 ... gps (as a
              secondary mark on the keys).
              That shift + a number used to turn the groups on or off.
              I get a star for an off group and a number for an on group. But holding
              Func and pressing a key immediately produces the function marked below
              and to the right of the buttons.
              So my question is how do I turn the groups on and off other than
              navigating through the menu to the group lock/unlock? Sometimes I can
              change that while scanning, but its not always the case.
              Oh I figured it out.
              Scan the quick key (for example 1 with groups 0 to 9 defined.) Hold
              func. key till it locks to that system and F key holds without being
              pressed. This does a system hold and enables banknumber keys. In this
              mode press a number to turn a group on or off.
              If having trouble getting F hold to stop on a system increase the hold
              time to 10 seconds.
              I'm sure its in the manual but hard to remember.

              Always forget this one.