Re: [BCD396XT] Re: New YahooGroups for the newer Uniden Scanner Models

  • John Stark
    Message 1 of 61 , Jun 25, 2013
      Don't know if one or all these new groups are fictitious or not but yahoo and I assume Uniden could care less as long as no information slips out that shouldn't until Uniden, and specifically UpMan says its official and info is released by him.
      I don't see anything wrong with making up groups for actual or even speculated on scanners. What DOSE irk me is that someone would release information gained illegally and using very poor judgement go post it all over the internet like he's some kind of hero when in fact he is the exact opposite. If he's an armature radio operator this kind of thing is an ethics violation and his license could be yanked. No matter what this person knew better and instead of doing us a favor he gives us in the hobby all a black eye. And jeopardises future products and not just from Uniden. People wonder why encryption is growing so rapidly and this person is a prime example why and why some departments can't or won't trust the public or scanner owners. Then this same person will be the first to cry when their local departments go encrypted and he can't listen any more.... maybe if he kept his big mouth shut they wouldn't have gone encrypted!
      As for the person who called Paul a liar, they need to get a life. One thing Paul won't do is lie, especially on a public forum as his job depends on honesty and integrity with the public as well as his company. There are things Paul can't talk about and there are things he can, that does not make him a liar. It makes him a company man doing his JOB! Paul didn't have to say anything when the info got out about a yahoo group but he did and instead of calling him a liar people should be reading his post on RR about TRUST and not bashing him. He really doesn't need to spend all the hours he does helping people on lists but he dose it because he CARES not only about the product but those who purchase those products. He listens and helps. And things are much better in the hobby because of Paul's efforts.

      Just my two cents..

    • Beauregard Waller
      Message 61 of 61 , Jul 9 1:05 AM
        Then why have computers required serial drivers for their serial devices? Maybe dedicated hardware do not need drivers, maybe, since they are dedicated to one task, they have the equivalence of drivers designed into their hardware. Whereas programmable devices would lose flexibility by having the drivers hardwired so they are supplied by software. A computer needs drivers to translate to/from the serial port to the computer code of the chips/os, et al. That is why, roughly, all i/o needs drivers. No one can argue that Ethernet is not a standard, yet it needs drivers to be useful, same thing for sata and pata.

        Saying, “If USB was truly universal, there would be no need for host devices and drivers.” Does not even make sense. Why would needing host devices and drivers mean it is not universal?? The test of the universality of some things is not how it is built or implemented, but is it used universally, and USB is used universally, therefore it is a universal standard. Just because it is an universal standard does not mean that there cannot be other universal standards, such as Ethernet, serial ports, parallel ports, et al. And actually, serial ports as you describe, maybe have a universal standard, but they are no longer a universal device. They are found only in special use environments, and old computers. The disadvantage of the old serial ports was that you could not plug more than on device in without a switch to select between the devices. USB is a serial device, but, you might say, the next generation. It allows you to plug multiple devices into one port which is why it has host devices. A system that is dedicated to one function can live with the old serial port, because you are not going to plug it into a different device, it is a fixed connection that will not change. But look at our computers, we have printers, hds, optical drives, optical scanners, radio scanners, music players, cameras, et al, all plugged into our computers via a serial port. You cannot do this with the old serial device, you would have to have a half dozen or more serial cards in order to do all we can do with USB.

        JohnW