Re: [BCD396XT] Re: New YahooGroups for the newer Uniden Scanner Models

  • Rich Carlson
    Message 1 of 61 , Jun 25, 2013
      Yahoo has very little to due with the name, content and operation of its
      many YahooGroups, the fact that Uniden is not involved in most of the
      groups related or discussing their scanners is of no concern to Yahoo.

      YahooGroups are created by individuals who may or may not have any official
      relationship with the product(s) under discussion and Yahoo does not confer
      with the product manufacturers before or after the groups are created.

      Any Yahoo member may create a group for almost any subject matter
      regardless of their affiliation with the product(s) discussed. I have
      created many various groups and participate in a couple hundred others. It
      isn't hard but requires effort and time.

      The groups are not "fictitious" as long as they do not purport to be
      official or claim sanction from Uniden where it does not exist.

      While I don't know for sure the motivations of the person who created these
      groups, it may be no more than anticipation of upcoming model numbers, or
      desire to make sure the groups are well run. I know of the guy who created
      at least one of these groups (I assume he created the others as well) and
      he is a well know hobbyist who runs dozens of groups and has always been a
      friend to the hobby. It is my assumption that these groups are created with
      the intention of allowing discussion, good and bad, of the radios, and I
      base that assumption on the behavior of the other lists that have been
      created by the same fellow.

      Once the product name is "out there" it was a pretty good idea for him to
      gather up the YahooGroups so that there is a reasonable person running
      them. This prevents trolls from going out and grabbing them in the same
      vein of domain trolls. At least now we know that the group will remain
      on-topic and relevant.

      --
      Rich Carlson, N9JIG

    • Beauregard Waller
      Message 61 of 61 , Jul 9, 2013
        Then why have computers required serial drivers for their serial devices? Maybe dedicated hardware do not need drivers, maybe, since they are dedicated to one task, they have the equivalence of drivers designed into their hardware. Whereas programmable devices would lose flexibility by having the drivers hardwired so they are supplied by software. A computer needs drivers to translate to/from the serial port to the computer code of the chips/os, et al. That is why, roughly, all i/o needs drivers. No one can argue that Ethernet is not a standard, yet it needs drivers to be useful, same thing for sata and pata.

        Saying, “If USB was truly universal, there would be no need for host devices and drivers.” Does not even make sense. Why would needing host devices and drivers mean it is not universal?? The test of the universality of some things is not how it is built or implemented, but is it used universally, and USB is used universally, therefore it is a universal standard. Just because it is an universal standard does not mean that there cannot be other universal standards, such as Ethernet, serial ports, parallel ports, et al. And actually, serial ports as you describe, maybe have a universal standard, but they are no longer a universal device. They are found only in special use environments, and old computers. The disadvantage of the old serial ports was that you could not plug more than on device in without a switch to select between the devices. USB is a serial device, but, you might say, the next generation. It allows you to plug multiple devices into one port which is why it has host devices. A system that is dedicated to one function can live with the old serial port, because you are not going to plug it into a different device, it is a fixed connection that will not change. But look at our computers, we have printers, hds, optical drives, optical scanners, radio scanners, music players, cameras, et al, all plugged into our computers via a serial port. You cannot do this with the old serial device, you would have to have a half dozen or more serial cards in order to do all we can do with USB.

        JohnW