General comments about Uniden, Charging batteries and such

  • neilbell99
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2013
      First off, I am a long time scanner user from the old crystal based scanners to my 396XT and 996XT.

      I agree fully with Joe about using external chargers rather than depending on built-in charging. Rechargeable batteries come in several technologies and one must be sure their external charger will do a proper jobs for the batteries they use. Also his comments about the audio circuits and speakers using a lot of "juice" compared with the actual scanning battery drain.

      I do expect scanner manufacturers to provide some support for the current models when a new system hits the market. Not forever but at least for a few years. Generally Uniden has done a very good job with this. Consider GRE -- the users of PSR-500 and 600 are now left with no support, no service facilities and no promise that this will be rectified.

      I feel lucky that I sold my two GRE PSR-500 and 600 scanners. Sadly, the PSR500 went to a good friend and within 2 weeks had a belt clip failure and the scanner hit the floor. Unless he can find someone to fix the scanner he is out the $$$ he paid me and has a scanner "brick". I feel very bad about that.

      I sold my GRE scanners because I feel that Uniden (and product manager UPMAN) care about users and have a superior product overall. There were some features in the PSR scanners that I liked but there were far more in the XT series from Uniden.

      In my opinion buying any scanner from GRE (including their latest PSR-800)is taking a real risk about future support and repairs. I doubt that the GRE folks really read the user groups postings like I know that Uniden does. I have no connection with Uniden, I am not a beta-tester for them but feel confident they will continue to develop and support scanning products.

      I also have to say that Joe's comments and opinions add significant value to discussion boards and I respect his views greatly.

      Neil Bell, KJ6FBA, and an 80 year old radio nut!