Re: [BCD396XT] New YahooGroups for the newer Uniden Scanner Models

  • Rich Carlson
    Message 1 of 61 , Jun 23 6:28 PM
      The history of scanners, as well as computers and all other electronics has
      basically been adding new features and capabilities while retaining a
      steady cost, which, with inflation, is actually cheaper over time. This
      would make the addition of a GPS more palatable now.

      Look at the BC780. A huge success in it's day for it's great feature set,
      channel capabilities etc. It ran about $500 10 years or so ago when it was
      introduced. It has been replaced several times over by newer radios with
      many more features and capabilities but the premier scanner prices from
      Uniden remain about the same $500.

      While I have no idea if Uniden plans to introduce any of the features
      discussed in this or other threads, you can bet pretty confidently that
      there will be more features and capabilities for probably a similar price.
      Internal GPS and USB connectivity is possible at the same price point, but
      there may be other ideas (P-II etc.) that might be included instead...

      On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 7:56 PM, Bob Burns W9BU <w9bu_lists@...>wrote:

      > At 08:24 PM 6/23/2013, Rich Carlson wrote:
      >
      > >Uniden may also want to look at the various USB GPS devices or sell their
      > >own for those devices that use them.
      >
      > But that would require that the scanner act as a host device for the
      > USB GPS receiver. How much computing horsepower would that take?
      >
      > >They could develop an internal one for scanners with provisions for
      > >external antennas, perhaps even go so far as to sell a combination
      > >GPS/Scanner antenna for vehicles.
      >
      > Given that the Icom ID-51, Kenwood TH-D72, and Yaesu VX-8G amateur
      > radio handhelds have internal GPS receivers as standard equipment, I
      > don't know why Uniden couldn't produce a handheld scanner with the
      > same feature. Yes, it would be an added cost that would have to be
      > borne by the consumer.
      >
      > Which leads us down a different path. Can the scanning community
      > support an even more expensive scanner than the HP-1? Is there enough
      > of a market to justify the development, testing, and production of
      > such a scanner?
      >
      > Bob...

      Rich Carlson, N9JIG

    • Beauregard Waller
      Message 61 of 61 , Jul 9, 2013
        Then why have computers required serial drivers for their serial devices? Maybe dedicated hardware do not need drivers, maybe, since they are dedicated to one task, they have the equivalence of drivers designed into their hardware. Whereas programmable devices would lose flexibility by having the drivers hardwired so they are supplied by software. A computer needs drivers to translate to/from the serial port to the computer code of the chips/os, et al. That is why, roughly, all i/o needs drivers. No one can argue that Ethernet is not a standard, yet it needs drivers to be useful, same thing for sata and pata.

        Saying, “If USB was truly universal, there would be no need for host devices and drivers.” Does not even make sense. Why would needing host devices and drivers mean it is not universal?? The test of the universality of some things is not how it is built or implemented, but is it used universally, and USB is used universally, therefore it is a universal standard. Just because it is an universal standard does not mean that there cannot be other universal standards, such as Ethernet, serial ports, parallel ports, et al. And actually, serial ports as you describe, maybe have a universal standard, but they are no longer a universal device. They are found only in special use environments, and old computers. The disadvantage of the old serial ports was that you could not plug more than on device in without a switch to select between the devices. USB is a serial device, but, you might say, the next generation. It allows you to plug multiple devices into one port which is why it has host devices. A system that is dedicated to one function can live with the old serial port, because you are not going to plug it into a different device, it is a fixed connection that will not change. But look at our computers, we have printers, hds, optical drives, optical scanners, radio scanners, music players, cameras, et al, all plugged into our computers via a serial port. You cannot do this with the old serial device, you would have to have a half dozen or more serial cards in order to do all we can do with USB.

        JohnW