Re: [BCD396XT] New YahooGroups for the newer Uniden Scanner Models

    Message 1 of 61 , Jun 23, 2013
      Threaded...

      Gary Saffer wrote:
      > On 6/23/2013 20:13, MCH wrote:
      >
      >> Good news for FTDI. But, from what I've heard they must be the
      >> exception. I hear a lot of issues that come down to driver issues.
      >
      > All of which go right back to the same Prolific chipset. I did a lot of
      > research on the issue when I bought my Win8 laptop. I think there are
      > even a couple of threads about it on Radioreference.

      Good to know.

      >> "Universal" is relative. The intent with the term was to be that USB
      >> would work work anything (which was never meant to include charging,
      >> BTW). In reality, the drivers required for each OS makes RS232 much more
      >> universal that USB.
      >
      > RS232 is dying outside of a few industrial uses. Certainly for consumer
      > grade products, it's rapidly going away.

      Of course. When they make items with a shorter lifespan, that means more
      overall sales. Why wouldn't the manufacturers want that?

      >> I would love a manufacturer to tell me that 20 years from now my new
      >> scanner will still work on my PC. Don't hold your breath for that.
      >
      > Anyone who would predict anything about technology is a fool, as is
      > anyone who would expect them to.

      There is a difference between promising product support and predictions.
      Asking a manufacturer for a commitment for X years is not only
      reasonable, it is an excellent act of good faith.

      In my opinion anyone who purchased something with no confidence of
      support after the next model comes out is the fool. I'm not calling you
      a fool - I'm just saying that support after the next model comes out is
      something everyone should expect - even after the next several models.
      To use a specific example, Uniden went back several models (4 I believe)
      when they issues rebanding updates. Granted that is only about 10 years,
      but I use my scanners much longer than that.

      Joe M.
    • Beauregard Waller
      Message 61 of 61 , Jul 9, 2013
        Then why have computers required serial drivers for their serial devices? Maybe dedicated hardware do not need drivers, maybe, since they are dedicated to one task, they have the equivalence of drivers designed into their hardware. Whereas programmable devices would lose flexibility by having the drivers hardwired so they are supplied by software. A computer needs drivers to translate to/from the serial port to the computer code of the chips/os, et al. That is why, roughly, all i/o needs drivers. No one can argue that Ethernet is not a standard, yet it needs drivers to be useful, same thing for sata and pata.

        Saying, “If USB was truly universal, there would be no need for host devices and drivers.” Does not even make sense. Why would needing host devices and drivers mean it is not universal?? The test of the universality of some things is not how it is built or implemented, but is it used universally, and USB is used universally, therefore it is a universal standard. Just because it is an universal standard does not mean that there cannot be other universal standards, such as Ethernet, serial ports, parallel ports, et al. And actually, serial ports as you describe, maybe have a universal standard, but they are no longer a universal device. They are found only in special use environments, and old computers. The disadvantage of the old serial ports was that you could not plug more than on device in without a switch to select between the devices. USB is a serial device, but, you might say, the next generation. It allows you to plug multiple devices into one port which is why it has host devices. A system that is dedicated to one function can live with the old serial port, because you are not going to plug it into a different device, it is a fixed connection that will not change. But look at our computers, we have printers, hds, optical drives, optical scanners, radio scanners, music players, cameras, et al, all plugged into our computers via a serial port. You cannot do this with the old serial device, you would have to have a half dozen or more serial cards in order to do all we can do with USB.

        JohnW