Re: [BCD396XT] WX Operation

  • David Johnson
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 9, 2013
      Is it a larger delay on analog channels or only digital? There is a
      time delay when reacquiring a digital stream and starting the D-A
      conversion.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 10/06/2013, at 12:02, Jeffry Rehm <scanman1958@...> wrote:

      > Yes it is normal but on this scanner it is a bit more obvious than other scanners that have been made in the past. I have quite a few scanners that have WX priority and yes they too have the pause in regular radio traffic when it checks for WX warnings. But the 396 seems to have a pretty major "check" that can not be adjusted. To some people it is OK, to others it is a little bothersome.

    • ccm4181
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 10, 2013
        Ok. It seems like at one time I was using it wasn't breaking into the conversations.

        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Jeffry Rehm <scanman1958@...> wrote:

        > Yes it is normal but on this scanner it is a bit more obvious than other scanners that have been made in the past. I have quite a few scanners that have WX priority and yes they too have the pause in regular radio traffic when it checks for WX warnings. But the 396 seems to have a pretty major "check" that can not be adjusted. To some people it is OK, to others it is a little bothersome.

      • Milton Engle
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 10, 2013
          The radio can only do one thing at a time. If it is scanning through a list
          of programmed frequencies, following a trunked system, whatever it can only
          perform one task at a time and each task involves a certain amount of time.
          If we are receiving a signal on an analog frequency with weather priority
          turned on, every 6 seconds (default) the radio will stop receiving, switch
          to the weather channel, listen for the alerting signal; if heard it will
          stay on the channel, if not it will return to the previous channel where the
          conversation we were initially receiving may or may not still be taking
          place. If a trunked system is involved there is another step involving
          checking the trunked control channels in an analog or P25 system before
          switching to the active voice channel. The time to accomplish each task is
          relatively small, but those small bits of time for each individual task
          start to add up quickly.

          One of my biggest gripes is how the manufacturers keep putting more and more
          "features" into products but not fully explaining that each "feature" has
          other dependancies that limit it's usage.

          Keep the WX Priority turned off. If you need to keep an eye on the weather
          I strongly suggest a dedicated WX receiver.

          Another "feature" that falls into the same catagory is the Fire Tone-out
          function. It causes the scanner to mimic the function of a two-tone paging
          receiver. This function cannot be used with scanning. So now your
          "scanner" is actually nothing more than a single channel receiver with
          two-tone decode capabilities and no alerting function. Here again, if you
          need this sort of dedicated alerting capability get a pager.

          Ok. It seems like at one time I was using it wasn't breaking into the
          conversations.

          --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Jeffry Rehm <scanman1958@...> wrote:

          > Yes it is normal but on this scanner it is a bit more obvious than other
          > scanners that have been made in the past. I have quite a few scanners that
          > have WX priority and yes they too have the pause in regular radio traffic
          > when it checks for WX warnings. But the 396 seems to have a pretty major
          > "check" that can not be adjusted. To some people it is OK, to others it is
          > a little bothersome.

        • Uniden UPMan
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 10, 2013
            Weather Priority has been in scanners for 20 years, and has always worked the same way. We do try to cover this in the user's guide...it is actually on the front page:
            http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/ScannerManuals#Common_Questions

            Unfortunately, the DND mode we've added for Priority on our latest models won't work for Weather. There is an 8-second window during which time NOAA transmits the 1050 Hz tone. You must sample often enough that you hit inside that window.

            UpMan

          • Uniden UPMan
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 10, 2013
              I've also updated the Tone-Out pages to more explicitly state that you can't FTO while scanning.
              http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/ToneOutMode

              UpMan