New Member

  • hotrod8162003
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2013
      Hello I am a n New Member here and am going to purchase a BCD396XT scanner. What software is the best for programming the scanner ScanCat Lite Plus or Butel ARC396.

      Thanks Hot Rod
    • Thomas Makofski
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2013
        I would suggest FreeScan and it IS free!

        Tom Makofski

        photo gallery
        http://tmak.smugmug.com/

        newifree-mo
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newifreemo/?yguid=353416413

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2013
          Welcome to the list.

          I think the consensus among most is that each (scanner) application is likely to
          have unique strengths and weaknesses (for instance, some have screens or user
          interfaces where manual entry is easier, some have advanced features such as
          remote control or band scope). A good approach may be to start with the free
          applications (freescan, etc.) and see which of those you like best and/or if
          they're lacking a specific feature that you feel you need. If you can
          articulate what those features are, folks on the list can provide guidance,
          experience and advice on which application they feel might be best for that
          particular task.

          I typically use FreeScan to program and bcTool+ for logging and recording.

          I hope that helps,
          Matt

          Quoting hotrod8162003 <hotrod8162003@...>:

          > Hello I am a n New Member here and am going to purchase a BCD396XT scanner.
          > What software is the best for programming the scanner ScanCat Lite Plus or
          > Butel ARC396.
          >
          > Thanks Hot Rod

        • Clark Rennie
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2013
            As some have mentioned, FreeSCAN is free but if you use it and like it, a
            contribution to the author would be welcomed.
            I prefer and use Butel ARC-XT Pro. The Butel programs have a 30 day trial
            period before a purchase is required, so you
            can decide for yourself if it meets your needs.

            Clark

            At 12:27 PM 6/4/2013, you wrote:

            >Hello I am a n New Member here and am going to purchase a BCD396XT
            >scanner. What software is the best for programming the scanner ScanCat
            >Lite Plus or Butel ARC396.
            >
            >Thanks Hot Rod
          • John Kintz
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2013
              On 6/4/2013 3:27 PM, hotrod8162003 wrote:

              > Hello I am a n New Member here and am going to purchase a BCD396XT
              > scanner. What software is the best for programming the scanner ScanCat
              > Lite Plus or Butel ARC396.

              OMG... is ScanCat still around? I purchased their scanning software
              many (many!) years ago and never could get it to work properly.

              Of the two, I would recommend Butel. (or perhaps even one of the free
              applications that one can find on the web.)