batteries question for UPMAN and the experts

  • neilbell99
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31 3:52 PM
      I use rechargeable batteries and NEVER charge them in the radio. My question is:

      If I set the switch in the battery compartment to Alkalines but still use just my regular Eneloop batteries can I run the scanner on the AC adapter while I am home at my desk? That way I could leave the backlight on without running down the Batteries when I am home?

      Also would the low battery power alarm go off too early thinking I was on Alkalines bather than rechargeables?

      Any risk here?

      Neil, KJ6FBA
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31 5:53 PM
        The scanner should not attempt to charge the cells when the switch is in
        the Alkaline position. In fact, there may be circuitry to prevent
        charging alkaline cells (a little OT, but good to know). So, you should
        be good using your Eneloops with the switch in the ALK position. I'm not
        sure about the low battery alarm. I *think* the switch just opens the
        charging circuit, but it's possible it resets the low cell alert
        trigger. Try it and see. If it alerts too soon, let us know so it goes
        in the collective knowledge bank.

        Joe M.