Showing Unit ID Names automatically

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 5 , May 26 6:19 AM
      As a FireCom Operator, it's really useful to be able to identify the unit calling - even if their name is missing from the call due to clipping of the start; doubling transmissions; a mumbling caller . . . or me just being distracted when the call starts !

      I'd seen some brief references in the Manuals suggesting that you can display Names from UnitIDs, but could never figure out how to do it. Then when I was Searching the Trunked System, I noticed an iCall displaying much like a TalkgroupID - i1234567 SRC / i2345678 DST. You need to turn on "Disp Unit ID" in Settings.

      I'd noted a few of our networks' UnitIDs, so I just added them to the end of the TGID numbers and Names in the Group.

      Sure enough, the next time they called in, on Row 2 (in Disp Mode 2) I could see the TGID Name alternating with the UnitName (instead of the UnitID number) I had entered.

      In Disp Mode 3, the TGID Name appears in large letters on Row 2 and the UnitName appears in small letters on Row 3 (instead of the TGID Number).

      What's really disappointing is that Bearcat decided to erase the name a few seconds after the transmission ends - it would be so helpful if the Name of the last received Unit stayed up until another was received.

      Mike
    • Frank Leidy
      Message 2 of 5 , May 26 2:44 PM
        Radio Names have to be "programmed" in order to display. If I recall
        correctly, you just enter them as a talkgroup with a dot at the beginning
        (translates to "i" in display). If you know that radio 3611 (decimal) is
        Med 11, just add ".3611" in the talkgroups list and then change its name.

        Frank

        On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 9:19 AM, Mike <mikeausf@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > As a FireCom Operator, it's really useful to be able to identify the unit
        > calling - even if their name is missing from the call due to clipping of
        > the start; doubling transmissions; a mumbling caller . . . or me just being
        > distracted when the call starts !
        >
        > I'd seen some brief references in the Manuals suggesting that you can
        > display Names from UnitIDs, but could never figure out how to do it. Then
        > when I was Searching the Trunked System, I noticed an iCall displaying much
        > like a TalkgroupID - i1234567 SRC / i2345678 DST. You need to turn on "Disp
        > Unit ID" in Settings.
        >
        > I'd noted a few of our networks' UnitIDs, so I just added them to the end
        > of the TGID numbers and Names in the Group.
        >
        > Sure enough, the next time they called in, on Row 2 (in Disp Mode 2) I
        > could see the TGID Name alternating with the UnitName (instead of the
        > UnitID number) I had entered.
        >
        > In Disp Mode 3, the TGID Name appears in large letters on Row 2 and the
        > UnitName appears in small letters on Row 3 (instead of the TGID Number).
        >
        > What's really disappointing is that Bearcat decided to erase the name a
        > few seconds after the transmission ends - it would be so helpful if the
        > Name of the last received Unit stayed up until another was received.
        >
        > Mike

      • David Johnson
        Message 3 of 5 , May 26 4:57 PM
          Yes, this is a great feature, but unfortunately it is also crippled by
          the maximum of 500 TGIDs per system. If you add all of the NSWFB and
          NSWRFS TGIDs, there isn't much space left to start adding UIDs. It
          would be great if the next firmware update could allow UIDs to be
          labelled independently of the TGID limit (and better still if the TGID
          limit could be raised to 1000 or more).

          Sent from my iPhone

          On 27/05/2013, at 4:42, Mike <mikeausf@...> wrote:

          > As a FireCom Operator, it's really useful to be able to identify the unit calling - even if their name is missing from the call due to clipping of the start; doubling transmissions; a mumbling caller . . . or me just being distracted when the call starts !
          >
          > I'd seen some brief references in the Manuals suggesting that you can display Names from UnitIDs, but could never figure out how to do it. Then when I was Searching the Trunked System, I noticed an iCall displaying much like a TalkgroupID - i1234567 SRC / i2345678 DST. You need to turn on "Disp Unit ID" in Settings.
          >
          > I'd noted a few of our networks' UnitIDs, so I just added them to the end of the TGID numbers and Names in the Group.
          >
          > Sure enough, the next time they called in, on Row 2 (in Disp Mode 2) I could see the TGID Name alternating with the UnitName (instead of the UnitID number) I had entered.
          >
          > In Disp Mode 3, the TGID Name appears in large letters on Row 2 and the UnitName appears in small letters on Row 3 (instead of the TGID Number).
          >
          > What's really disappointing is that Bearcat decided to erase the name a few seconds after the transmission ends - it would be so helpful if the Name of the last received Unit stayed up until another was received.
          >
          > Mike

        • David Johnson
          Message 4 of 5 , May 26 4:58 PM
            Using Freescan to program, I use an i.

            Sent from my iPhone

            On 27/05/2013, at 7:44, Frank Leidy <fleidy701@...> wrote:

            > Radio Names have to be "programmed" in order to display. If I recall
            > correctly, you just enter them as a talkgroup with a dot at the beginning
            > (translates to "i" in display). If you know that radio 3611 (decimal) is
            > Med 11, just add ".3611" in the talkgroups list and then change its name.
            >
            > Frank
            >

            > On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 9:19 AM, Mike <mikeausf@...> wrote:
            >
            >> **
            >>

            >> As a FireCom Operator, it's really useful to be able to identify the unit
            >> calling - even if their name is missing from the call due to clipping of
            >> the start; doubling transmissions; a mumbling caller . . . or me just being
            >> distracted when the call starts !
            >>
            >> I'd seen some brief references in the Manuals suggesting that you can
            >> display Names from UnitIDs, but could never figure out how to do it. Then
            >> when I was Searching the Trunked System, I noticed an iCall displaying much
            >> like a TalkgroupID - i1234567 SRC / i2345678 DST. You need to turn on "Disp
            >> Unit ID" in Settings.
            >>
            >> I'd noted a few of our networks' UnitIDs, so I just added them to the end
            >> of the TGID numbers and Names in the Group.
            >>
            >> Sure enough, the next time they called in, on Row 2 (in Disp Mode 2) I
            >> could see the TGID Name alternating with the UnitName (instead of the
            >> UnitID number) I had entered.
            >>
            >> In Disp Mode 3, the TGID Name appears in large letters on Row 2 and the
            >> UnitName appears in small letters on Row 3 (instead of the TGID Number).
            >>
            >> What's really disappointing is that Bearcat decided to erase the name a
            >> few seconds after the transmission ends - it would be so helpful if the
            >> Name of the last received Unit stayed up until another was received.
            >>
            >> Mike

          • John Stark
            Message 5 of 5 , May 26 6:47 PM
              Even s thousand wouldn't be enough
              If I could add all the UID's I have for one system it would take close to 30,000 and if I added all of them it would require 65,000. And with newer systems that number could double.
              That's where programs like Unitrunker take over as it removes the scanners limitations on number of TGID's and UID's. I have two computers running Unitrunker 24/7 just to keep up with UID's and so on. Its also great for finding and logging new TGID's as well.