Re: [BCD396XT] Trunk systems with multiple sites

    Message 1 of 9 , May 25, 2013
      OK. First, you should not be using a P25S system which is a P25 Single
      Channel Trunk system - you should be using a regular P25 selection for
      the trunked system. Also, for rebanding P25 systems all that is required
      is to change the frequencies - no tables are required at all. Also, you
      only need to program the control channels (Primary and Alternate).

      On the Motorola system, you will have to program the new rebanded
      frequencies, set the system type to Custom, program in the two rebanding
      trunking tables (see below), and you should be good to go.

      The tables you need are:
      BandPlan Base (lower) Base (upper) Offset Polarity Spacing
      1 851.0250 854.0000 440 + 25 khz
      2 851.0125 868.9875 0 + 25 khz

      The above may be more info than you need, but I gave you everything you
      might need - use the columns that apply to your software.

      You can program each site to Custom and enter the tables as they reband.
      You don't need a separate System for rebanded sites.

      Joe M.

    • Michael Hopkins
      Message 2 of 9 , May 25, 2013
        Thanks.. Now double checking all..

        In FreeSCAN the P25 system types are:

        P25 Standard (Digital XT)

        P25 One Freq Trunk (Digital XT)

        I selected P25 Standard, which I believe is correct.

        In Radio Reference it's called a Project 25 system.

        In FreeScan, in the listing of all systems, its listed as (P25S) as opposed
        to (P25F), which refers to the single frequency trunk system.

        Confusing, but pretty sure the P25 Standard system is correct..

        ------------------------------------

        In the Mot Type II system, (In free scan called Mot Type II/P25) which I
        assume means it's both analog and P25 digital modulation. There is no other
        Mot Type II system selection.

        Most sites are not rebanded so I didn't add the band plan chart to them all.
        I DID add the band plan info you sent to the two re-banded sites.

        Will check to see if it's now working tomorrow when I head south into MA..

        Thanks for the info.

        Mike Hopkins K1VLB

        Mhopkins735@...

        Michael Hopkins wrote:
        > It's actually both. Mass State Police are currently using both a Motorola
        > Type II system and a P25S system. I programmed both systems in separately,
        > but my questions below pertain to the Mot Type II system:
        >

        > In the Mot Type II/P25 system, I have 19 sites each consisting of a number
        >> of frequencies per Radio Reference. 3 of those sites are re-banded. Do I
        > need to make a separate system for the
        >> re-banded sites? I also have 7 groups - Troop A, Troop B, etc. some of
        > these
        >> will use the re-banded sites so do they need to be separated somehow?
        >

        > The rebanded sites each have two system ranges in the band plan, one with
        >> 440 offset and the other with a 0 offset - both are 25 kHz steps. I'm not
        >> 100% sure this is right but it appears to be.
        >
        >> I'm programming using FreeScan - the BCD 396XT manual says you can only
        > have one
        >> trunked system per band but not sure how this is assigned in FreeScan. I
        > can
        >> assign a quick key 0-99 but how does the band get assigned? 0-9 is one
        > band?
        >

        > Thanks,,,
        >

        > Mike Hopkins K1VLB
        >
        > Mhopkins735@... <mailto:Mhopkins735%40charter.net>
        >

        > From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
        Behalf
        > Of MCH
        > Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 11:21 PM
        > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Trunk systems with multiple sites
        >

        > You didn't say - is this a Motorola Type II system or a P25 system?
        >
        > Joe M.
        >
        > Michael Hopkins wrote:
        >> Trying to re-program some changes to the Massachusetts state police
        > trunking
        >> system:
        >>

        >> I have 2 systems: one is Mot Type II/P25 and the other is P25S.
        >>

        >> In the Mot Type II/P25 system, I have 19 sites each consisting of a
        number
        >> of frequencies per Radio Reference.
        >>
        >> 3 of those sites are re-banded. Do I need to make a separate system for
        > the
        >> re-banded sites? I also have 7 groups - Troop A, Troop B, etc. some of
        > these
        >> will use the re-banded sites so do they need to be separated somehow?
        >>

        >> The rebanded sites each have two system ranges in the band plan, one with
        >> 440 offset and the other with a 0 offset - both are 25 kHz steps. I'm not
        >> 100% sure this is right but it appears to be.
        >>

        >> I'm programming using FreeScan - the manual says you can only have one
        >> trunked system per band but not sure how this is assigned in FreeScan. I
        > can
        >> assign a quick key 0-99 but how does the band get assigned? 0-9 is one
        > band?
        >>

        >> Any help would be appreciated.
        >>

        >> Thanks,,,,
        >>

        >> Mike Hopkins K1VLB
        >>
        >> Mhopkins735@... <mailto:Mhopkins735%40charter.net>
        <mailto:Mhopkins735%40charter.net>

        03:18:00

      • NCC74656_USS_Voyager
        Message 3 of 9 , May 25, 2013
          You are correct. P25S is sometimes used to indicate P25 (Single-frequency). I guess it's not in FreeScan.

          Joe M.

          On Sat 25/05/13 4:06 PM , "Michael Hopkins" mhopkins735@... sent:

        • Michael Hopkins
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2013
            Problem resolved: I took someone's advice and programmed an single site
            know to have MA SP activity and a single group with the State Police TGID's
            entered - it worked fine. I then added sites, one at a time with no problem.
            Next I added re-banded sites, and again, no problem..

            Apparently the problem was the 396xt didn't like having so many multiple
            sites AND multiple TGID groups. Two identical systems, on with multiple
            groups doesn't work, one with a single group works fine..

            Hope this helps someone!

            Mike Hopkins K1VLB

            Mhopkins735@...

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 2, 2013
              That doesn't make sense. Are you sure they are identical?

              Are you sure the one with multiple groups does not have a disabled GQK,
              or locked out Groups?

              Joe M.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 5, 2013
                I agree it doesn't make sense and there may be more to the problem, but
                right now I've got two systems, each with the same sites (simply copied one
                to the other) but one has multiple groups of TGIDs (no signals from any site
                or any TGID) and the other has a single group (much activity on multiple
                sites).

                Next step is to try and split the groups in the working system and see what
                happens. If it works, then there is some other basic problem that I have yet
                to discover.

                Thanks for the comments.

                Mike Hopkins K1VLB

                Mhopkins735@...